Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Richie Sexson released
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 pm 

http://news.aol.com/sports/story/_a/mar ... 0009990050

Quote:
The sunken Seattle Mariners finally released slugger Richie Sexson after a slump that lasted for most of two seasons and made him a target of constant booing from frustrated fans.

The Mariners would have loved to have been able to trade Sexson, but his $14 million salary this season made that nearly impossible. So now Seattle is eating the rest of that money in what may be the first of multiple moves to rid the last-place team of underperforming veteran players.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Richie Sexson released
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:55 pm 

He and Matt Morris are in their hovel, sharing their misery:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:27 pm 

A number of parallels can be drawn from this situation and the Matt Morris situation here:
- Both players used to be quite good.
- Both players started declining at age 30.
- Both were given huge sums of money by a poorly run team.
- Both became cyphers on their respective teams.
- Both were released after the firing of each team's GM.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 am 
Don't you just love guaranteed contracts? That's the kind of deal that just destroys teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:18 am 

Elmer wrote:
Don't you just love guaranteed contracts? That's the kind of deal that just destroys teams.

I agree that this deal was a bad deal for Seattle, but it's what Seattle agreed to, and if they don't like what happened then they should not have signed the contract in the first place. The Mariners should not be able to breach an employment agreement without any consequences. A baseball team should honor every contract they sign, no matter how good or bad the contract is.

Player contracts should be guaranteed, especially if they're only for a fixed term of years. It wouldn't be fair to force the player to honor the terms of the contract while the team can breach it at its pleasure with no bad consequences.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 am 
Willton wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I agree that this deal was a bad deal for Seattle, but it's what Seattle agreed to, and if they don't like what happened then they should not have signed the contract in the first place. The Mariners should not be able to breach an employment agreement without any consequences. A baseball team should honor every contract they sign, no matter how good or bad the contract is.

Player contracts should be guaranteed, especially if they're only for a fixed term of years. It wouldn't be fair to force the player to honor the terms of the contract while the team can breach it at its pleasure with no bad consequences.

Seattle totally shouldn't have signed it. I just prefer NFL contracts. The player gets his guaranteed signing bonus, but the annual salary is contingent about him performing. If a guy knows he is getting guaranteed money, there's a better chance he becomes a fat cat. Then production drops and he's drastically overpaid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm 

Willton wrote:
It wouldn't be fair to force the player to honor the terms of the contract while the team can breach it at its pleasure with no bad consequences.

From a legal perspective, it is not a "breach of contract" to stop paying a player after he has been cut from the team if the contract is not guaranteed. With a non-guaranteed contract, paying the player is contingent upon that player being on team in some fashion or another. If it was truly a "breach of contract" to stop paying a player after he has been cut from the team where there is a non-guaranteed contract, you'd see a ton of lawsuits being filed. No "breach" - as you put it - occurs.

It is a valid to debate whether player contracts should be guaranteed or non-guaranteed. Strong arguments exist on both sides of the issue. In any event, the NFL has demonstrated that there are methods to guarantee $$ to a player in the absence of guaranteed contracts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:16 pm 

Willton wrote:
A baseball team should honor every contract they sign, no matter how good or bad the contract is.

How I wish it were that way in every field. No matter how poor my work is, my employer has to pay me for the next 4 years because I signed a contract.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:24 pm 
BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:
A baseball team should honor every contract they sign, no matter how good or bad the contract is.

How I wish it were that way in every field. No matter how poor my work is, my employer has to pay me for the next 4 years because I signed a contract.

Exactly. That's why I'm not a fan of the guaranteed contract. You can simply stop performing and still get paid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:04 pm 

Money aside, I'll go out on a limb here: I'll bet he catches on with someone and makes a contribution before season's end.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:48 pm 

BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

I guess we all just picked the wrong fields. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:51 pm 

Elmer wrote:
BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

Exactly. That's why I'm not a fan of the guaranteed contract. You can simply stop performing and still get paid.

Elmer, when you're one of the best 500 or so people in an extremely profitable business you can get considerations that others can only dream about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:40 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer, when you're one of the best 500 or so people in an extremely profitable business you can get considerations that others can only dream about.

I understand that it is the way it is, I'm just not a fan of it. I like the contract structure in the other major sports better. Just my opinion.