Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: wtf?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:19 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Bucfan, don't suggest any players, seriously or joking. That would imply the Pirates management made a mistake and, you know, they never do.

Well, the Pirates were correct in believing that Kazmir might have a problem with injury.

He missed a few starts early this season. The fact that he is 42-33 career - with a historically bad team - and a lifetime 3.53 ERA and 701 K's in 648 innings??

Smoke and mirrors, my man, smoke and mirrors. The Bucs were wise to pass on him.

I'm not really talking about Kazmir in particular. I'm making a point about the fact that you implied (jokingly or seriously) that someone -- ANYONE -- was a better call up than Munoz was blasphemy. At least on this board.

Remember the First Commandment of the board: Though shall not criticize the "new" management.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:43 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Smoke and mirrors, my man, smoke and mirrors. The Bucs were wise to pass on him.

Especially considering we got Matt Peterson instead. He was more major league ready, if I recall. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:46 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Remember the First Commandment of the board: Though shall not criticize the "new" management.

Which is in contrat to the First Commandment of Elmer..."Thou shalt make a huge fvcking deal over who they call up to be the friggin MOP UP GUY."

To my knowledge, Munoz isn't going to be the closer. Relax. Munoz is probably as good an option as Salas. He'll be used in the 4th and 5th innings of blow outs, to save our half-decent arms. And if you believe Barthmaier has any value at all, then you have to let him keep taking his turn in a rotation somewhere, not rotting in the Pirates bullpen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:18 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Which is in contrat to the First Commandment of Elmer..."Thou shalt make a huge fvcking deal over who they call up to be the friggin MOP UP GUY."

To my knowledge, Munoz isn't going to be the closer. Relax. Munoz is probably as good an option as Salas. He'll be used in the 4th and 5th innings of blow outs, to save our half-decent arms. And if you believe Barthmaier has any value at all, then you have to let him keep taking his turn in a rotation somewhere, not rotting in the Pirates bullpen.

I guess our standards as fans really have fallen when we only care about the quality of some of the players on the roster. It's sad that the we're at the point some fans are OK with struggling Double A pitchers on the roster, period.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 pm 

I'm actually sort of glad that they didn't call up Herrera from AA. He's due to start again Saturday night against the Erie Seawolves, and I'm going to try to go see him. He's been looking pretty good lately. To me, this call up proves they have no plans to start Munoz, but to use him in mop up only. They don't need a 5th starter until July 21. I guess there's no sense in wasting Herrera for that.

They must really hate Jesse Chavez. If so, though, why waste a roster spot for him? If not, why not give him a shot?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:59 pm 

Elmer wrote:
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I guess our standards as fans really have fallen when we only care about the quality of some of the players on the roster. It's sad that the we're at the point some fans are OK with struggling Double A pitchers on the roster, period.

I'm done arguing with you. If you want to get your panties in a bunch because Munoz is pitching in the 5th inning down by 8 runs instead of Salas, fine. Its not as if we are passing up some hot prospect to take over some key role. This makes the infmous rearranging of deck chairs on the Titanic look quite important by comparison. But apparently NH nailed your wife, so everything he does is wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 pm 

You need to remember that this call up is probably only for the weekend til the All Star Break...

You dont want to call up a starter and have him sit...if this was to take a spot in the rotation then yes, there is a problem, but its a mop up spot...

is this another un-proof that management wants to lose Elmer?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:51 pm 

BBF wrote:
I'm done arguing with you. If you want to get your panties in a bunch because Munoz is pitching in the 5th inning down by 8 runs instead of Salas, fine. Its not as if we are passing up some hot prospect to take over some key role. This makes the infmous rearranging of deck chairs on the Titanic look quite important by comparison. But apparently NH nailed your wife, so everything he does is wrong.

Given the amount of nitpicking this guy does to his favorite team, can you imagine Elmer actually having a wife? I'm not sure there's a woman out there that can be as perfect as Elmer would like.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Bucfan, don't suggest any players, seriously or joking. That would imply the Pirates management made a mistake and, you know, they never do.

Well, the Pirates were correct in believing that Kazmir might have a problem with injury.

He missed a few starts early this season. The fact that he is 42-33 career - with a historically bad team - and a lifetime 3.53 ERA and 701 K's in 648 innings??

I agree. He projected as an impact pitcher, not a #3 starter. DL would not have been interested and he wouldn't have fit into our plans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:34 am 
I don't see this as management trying to lose, but I do see it as a bad move that won't help them win. Is it a major move? NO. But it is a move nonetheless and I'm making some observations on it.

It really amazes me how far some of you guys will go to defend EVERY move management makes. They are not perfect. NH and co have made some good moves and some bad moves. Calling up a very bad AA pitcher to the big league roster is a bad move. Praising the good while ignoring the bad is being an apologist.

And it really is a sign of how far the standards of Pirates fans have dropped when some act as if that sort of a move is OK.

Oh, and Econo, please explain to me how it is appropriate to bring up my personal life in a discussion about the Pirates bullpen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:39 am 

Quote:
General manager Neal Huntington minced no words on that front.

"I would not anticipate Luis being here for an extended period of time," Huntington said. "It was a step short of desperation. Our pitching staff has taken a beating of late, and he was the best available option to give us 75-90 pitches if necessary."

Munoz already was on the 40-man roster, so no move was necessary there.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08192/896155-63.stm

You're going into the All-Star Weekend, and needed someone with a fresh arm to throw this weekend if there was to be a blow out...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:40 am 
nad69dan wrote:
Quote:
General manager Neal Huntington minced no words on that front.

"I would not anticipate Luis being here for an extended period of time," Huntington said. "It was a step short of desperation. Our pitching staff has taken a beating of late, and he was the best available option to give us 75-90 pitches if necessary."

Munoz already was on the 40-man roster, so no move was necessary there.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08192/896155-63.stm

You're going into the All-Star Weekend, and needed someone with a fresh arm to throw this weekend if there was to be a blow out...

That's the good side of this to be sure. The fewer days the better.