Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tonight, in an alternate universe.......
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:26 am 

PITTSBURGH (AP); The Pittsburgh Pirates defeated the Houston Astros 11-6 this evening at PNC Park. This win completed a three game sweep of the stuggling Astros to pull them to within two games of the Chicago Cubs for the lead in the National League Central Division.

The Bucs surging offense continues to put up runs in bunches, often overcoming weak or inconsistant starting pitching. The rejuvanated Lumber Company was led by rightfielder John Van Benschoten, who was 3-4, with two homers and five RBI. The former #1 pick has found a home in the Bucs' lineup, hitting between Jason Bay and catcher Ryan Doumit.

Ironically enough the former Pirate brain trust who had drafted Van Ben Schoten eighth overall in 2000, actually toyed with the idea of converting the slugging Kent State outfielder, one of the most productive college sluggers that year, into a pitcher.

Pirates manager John Russell commented on this saying, "Boy did this organization dodge a bullet with that one. Johnny is one of the best young sluggers in the game. The idea of turning this kind of offensive potential into a pitcher is laughable."

Van Ben Schoten is in his fourth year as the Pirates right fielder, and in on pace for career high totals in RBI and doubles.

Post subject: Re: Tonight, in an alternate universe.......
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:28 am 

sad :oops: :oops: .... but true !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

I think I read in the article that Bullington got the win and Moskos got the save...

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:39 am 
Corsair wrote:
PITTSBURGH (AP); The Pittsburgh Pirates defeated the Houston Astros 11-6 this evening at PNC Park. This win completed a three game sweep of the stuggling Astros to pull them to within two games of the Chicago Cubs for the lead in the National League Central Division.

The Bucs surging offense continues to put up runs in bunches, often overcoming weak or inconsistant starting pitching. The rejuvanated Lumber Company was led by rightfielder John Van Benschoten, who was 3-4, with two homers and five RBI. The former #1 pick has found a home in the Bucs' lineup, hitting between Jason Bay and catcher Ryan Doumit.

Ironically enough the former Pirate brain trust who had drafted Van Ben Schoten eighth overall in 2000, actually toyed with the idea of converting the slugging Kent State outfielder, one of the most productive college sluggers that year, into a pitcher.

Pirates manager John Russell commented on this saying, "Boy did this organization dodge a bullet with that one. Johnny is one of the best young sluggers in the game. The idea of turning this kind of offensive potential into a pitcher is laughable."

Van Ben Schoten is in his fourth year as the Pirates right fielder, and in on pace for career high totals in RBI and doubles.

That's great. Greg Brown was recapping JVB's college successes with the bat on the radio last night, and it made me sick (as it always does).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:15 pm 

Yeah, add in Bobby Bradley and Sean Burnett and the ghost of Cam Bone-head-a fay is still screwing up this team almost a decade later.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Are you kidding? No way do Bradley and Burnett pitch in that game. They are the probables for the following two games.

Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:47 pm 

You guys want me to go back and edit the post to read "Pirate manager Lloyd McClendon, who has just had his contract renewed for five years......." ? :)

And BTW I don't think the Mouskos-Bullington comments fit the meme here. It should read under "Minor League Notes"

"And last year's first round draft pick Matt Wieters continues to tear the cover off the ball in Hickory. Wieters leads the Sally League in RBI, and is second in HR." :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

This just keeps getting more painful!

Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:08 pm 

And following lastnight's game, LFer Barry Bonds just hit his career leading 800th Home run...and the fans rejoiced!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:41 am 

Naaaah, sorry Dan that doesn't really fit either. I think we are just talking about the last ten years of the constant rebuilding. We take Bonds leaving as a given, sixteen years ago, besides how could our outfield be Bay, McClouth and Van Ben Schottten?

How about this one. At the end of the article from the above quote:

PIRATE NOTES:

Third Baseman Aramis Ramirez is scheduled to come off the disabled list tomorrow and he will retake his place in this rejuvanated offense.

Ramirez was almost traded to the Cubs in a salary dump in 2003 at the trading deadline, but the Pirates were able to move chronic underachieving pitcher Kris Benson instead. Benson had had an injury free 2003 and was able to be traded.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:26 am 

Free Agency in the Off-Season to provide a Lefty Power Bat off the Bench and be the 4th OFer...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:53 pm 

Ok, I will accept that as part of the theme. Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I think I read in the article that Bullington got the win and Moskos got the save...

Speaking of Moskos, he just had another horrible night for Lynchburg:

5 IP (plus three batters in the 6th), 7 hits, 6 earned runs, 3 walks, 3 wild pitches. Three of the 7 hits were doubles. Also, three bases were stolen with him on the mound, although some of that could be the catcher's fault.