Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reality Check
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:23 pm 

The Pirates are doing marginally better this season. Maybe we could win 75 to 80 if our pitching doesn't let us down too much.

Where does that leave us in the building of a contender? We have some good drafted players (some unsigned), and the same starters from a year ago, with the exception of Doumit, in the field. Our SP except for Morris are the same and don't look to be changing.

That is no formula for success. Never going to get there this way. We have some popular players who fans want to keep but are they going to bring us a winner?

We need trades. And they must be of the present front line guys who have the greatest value, if we expect to get the return prospects we need to grow. Remember that you control young kids for 6 years not 1 or 1.5 years. I know none of you want to trade Wilson or Bay but that is exactly who can bring us quality return. Teams aren't as dumb as the Pirates have been; they aren't just going to give us their best without filling a hole they presently have.

To get to where we want to go those guys have to go and now is the best time. Their value decreases as we get closer to FA. They can still be rent-a-players for contenders but right now they have longer times to help teams and so are more valuable. The longer we wait the lower their value to all but the richest teams.

If that is not what you think is best then please tell me how you think we can get there, realizing we are a small market team with limits on what we can afford.

I'm not trying to be a smartaSS here. I'd like to know your formula for developing a winner if not this way.

Post subject: Re: Reality Check
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:00 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I have a question...why can't we hang on to the pieces that are actually working? Why not hold on to Nady, Bay, and Wilson? Why not re-sign Mientiewicz and Gomez for next season? The Pirates offense is very good and will continue to get better. If Nutting really wants a winner he can have it, believe it or not, with these guys. The rotation needs a major shakeup and 3rd base needs to get squared away. It's not that difficult. I don't want to assume McCutchen and (gasp) Walker will step in and magically be all-stars. Chances are it will be a major step back and we'll be right back where we left off.

Fix the rotation and open up the pocket book for the soon-to-be free agents. There...problem solved. Get the payroll to around 70 million and the Pirates will win and butts will fill the seats. It's not magic.

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:32 pm 

Good post, Sub. I don't think you're being a smarta$$. I've been wrestling with the same question for a couple weeks now: Has this particular group of players maxed out its ability? If so, you might as well blow it up. And good response, IA. Who's to say this team isn't 2 players away from being right there at the top of the division? A Zimmerman type third baseman and a Lincecum type starter, and we're there, provided the rest of the rotation straightens up some.

As far as position players go, I think everyone's pretty much maxed out, and should play at this level for the next couple years. These starting pitchers have me vexed, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:36 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Good post, Sub. I don't think you're being a smarta$$. I've been wrestling with the same question for a couple weeks now: Has this particular group of players maxed out its ability? If so, you might as well blow it up. And good response, IA. Who's to say this team isn't 2 players away from being right there at the top of the division? A Zimmerman type third baseman and a Lincecum type starter, and we're there, provided the rest of the rotation straightens up some.

As far as position players go, I think everyone's pretty much maxed out, and should play at this level for the next couple years. These starting pitchers have me vexed, though.

The problem is that you can't keep this group, add a Lincecum and Zimmerman through free agency, and keep the payroll under $70 mil (playrs of that caliber are $15 mil/year as free agents, at least). Therefore, you have to either trade for them or develop them. We don't have any in the minors, so that leaves only one option. And to get them in a trade, you have to give up something. We aren't deep enough to give up something and still compete.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:23 pm 

I think we have to move at least a couple of our veterans, hopefully this month. Plus sign the top 2 draft choices and continue to look for international talent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 am 
Ralphie wrote:
I think we have to move at least a couple of our veterans, hopefully this month. Plus sign the top 2 draft choices and continue to look for international talent.

Absolutely. Anything less that what you said would be a massive failure, imo.