Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bob Smizik
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:37 am 

The Pirates spend a historic amount of money on the draft... again... and Bob writes about Dennis Dixon? What a dweeb. Talk about an unwillingness to give credit where credit is due.

Post subject: Re: Bob Smizik
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 am 

He spent time talking about Harper and spent time to writing Russell still has a chance to get fired.

Russell and Jeff Clement must have done something to get Bloggin' Bob all pissed off at them...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 pm 

Maybe the mods could merge all the Smizik threads from this season and sticky it so that we can keep a running chronicle of all his idiotic shite.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:48 pm 

Sorry but Smizik has a job, and that is to write about what people want to hear. Im sure 90 percent of Pittsburgh is more interested in knowing the Steelers starting QB battle, then about the Pirates signing draft picks.

Last edited by Ryann on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm 

The signing of draft picks is all well and good, but until, and if, it translates into a competitive club it's all just talk.

For the last eighteen years, baseball in Pittsburgh is a time filler between the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the start of Steeler camp. No one is interested in the Pirates. The Steelers are winners. The Pirates are not.

If the Pirates are ever to compete with the Steelers for interesting news, they know what they have to do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:28 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Sorry but Smizik has a job, and that is to right about what people want to hear. Im sure 90 percent of Pittsburgh is more interested in knowing the Steelers starting QB battle, then about the Pirates signing draft picks.

Smizik does not right anything. He writes blog posts, most of which evince a lack of understanding about the business of baseball. Pandering to an audience of idiotic Pittsburghers is not worthy of praise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:30 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
The signing of draft picks is all well and good, but until, and if, it translates into a competitive club it's all just talk.

For the last eighteen years, baseball in Pittsburgh is a time filler between the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the start of Steeler camp. No one is interested in the Pirates. The Steelers are winners. The Pirates are not.

If the Pirates are ever to compete with the Steelers for interesting news, they know what they have to do.

If no one is interested in the Pirates, as you say, then what are you doing here?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:56 pm 

Oh, I lurk here.

Watching the six or eight of you on here continue to make fools of yourselves congratulating each other on your superior baseball knowledge of some savior that is now a sophomore in high school, well, that is hard to beat for sheer entertainment.

So, it's worth checking the site out every now and again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:14 pm 

Willton wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

If no one is interested in the Pirates, as you say, then what are you doing here?

I am interested in the Pirates Wilton, but look how many active members there are on here. Other teams have sites like this with hundreds or thousands of fans coming on daily. We are approaching what 20? 30? Wilton you do not live in Pittsburgh, so who are you to say "idiotic Pittsburghers" only follow Smizik? Wilton I really doubt you are a real fan, since all you ever do is act like your some little baseball genius, and patrol these boards as the grammer cop. I never see you saying your happy to see the few good things the Pirates do right. I wonder if you could hit a baseball as well as you think you know the game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:35 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
some savior that is now a sophomore in high school

Just curious, who is this player you are speaking of?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:53 pm 

The Pirates' regime took a huge amount of criticism for not taking the best player available in Bryan Bullington and Danny Moskos. Huge amount of criticism. Called cheap and uninterested in winning.

This year, the Pirates regime selected the top pitcher in the draft (Taillon) and reportedly have agreed to pay him $6.5M as a signing bonus.

After selecting Taillon, they selected Allie with the second pick. Some rating systems had Allie as the second best pitcher in the draft. Yet, 29 other teams passed on Allie (yes . . . . every team had a chance to select him) but passed on him due to signability concerns/anticipated contract demands. Bucs agree to pay him a $2.25M signing bonus to get him in the fold.

Personally . . . I think that high school pitchers are a huge risk and I'm not holding my breath that either of them will be the next Clemens. I hope I'm wrong.

My point is this. People are excited about the signings because (1) they are highly rated players and (2) it reflects a departure from the previous regime which seemed to shy away from high end/high cost players.

If you are going to criticize the front office for not going after the best player available no matter the cost then you shouldn't be grouchy when the Pirates do go after such players and people are excited about it.

Otherwise, it looks like you are grumbling for the sake of grumbling.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:43 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No. 9 wrote:

Otherwise, it looks like you are grumbling for the sake of grumbling.

Welcome to Steve's world.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:14 pm 

I didn't get a har-rumph outta that guy!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:48 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:
some savior that is now a sophomore in high school

Just curious, who is this player you are speaking of?

I wonder if he's a SS and can hit for power?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:14 am 

I believe he was referring to Luis Heredia who just turned 16.

Neal had a nice day yesterday, but wake me when the front office proves competant at doing something to improve the major league roster. For all intents and purposes, it appears he has no plan to do much of anything to change the current roster in 2011.

The playoff ticket sale date is being pushed back to 2014. Taillon should be ready by then.

Championships.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 am 

Not true.

They have said numerous times that they will be aggressive in the free agent market for the first time in years this off season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:08 am 

omgardd wrote:
Neal had a nice day yesterday, but wake me when the front office proves competant at doing something to improve the major league roster.

That has not been his approach, aside from signing veteran players who fill a specific need (Dotel, Lopez, Carrasco, Donnelly).

You can criticize the approach of always relying upon an influx of young - sometimes VERY young - talent, but that is the approach. It has worked with some very good franchises. It is an approach that has potential with the Pirates.

Further, adding young players will, on occasion, improve the current roster. James McDonald and Chris Resop are examples.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Not true.

They have said numerous times that they will be aggressive in the free agent market for the first time in years this off season.

They can say whatever they want. I think it is best for the team that they are aggressive this offseason, but I would be very suprised if they were.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:59 pm 

I would certainly be happy to see a couple of solid starters brought in...but it's been demonstrated that the FA market for starting pitching may not be a fertile field. Would also like to see a shortstop under the tree as well...do we have any more Neil Walkeresque suprises available? I wish...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:50 pm 

ParrotLuv wrote:
do we have any more Neil Walkeresque suprises available? I wish...

Alex Pressely might be that guy...