Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should the Pirates win the Anthony Rendon sweepstakes ....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:17 pm 

Does that spell the end of Pedro at 3B?

With Alvarez at 1B and Rendon at 3B the Bucs will have two cornerstone corner infielders. Put those two with McCutchen, Tabata, Walker and Sanchez waiting in the wings, the 2013 Bucs could look very promising, assuming they can put together a competent starting pitching staff. :-)))

Post subject: Re: Should the Pirates win the Anthony Rendon sweepstakes ....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:30 pm 

Rotten_Scoundrel wrote:

With Alvarez at 1B and Rendon at 3B the Bucs will have two cornerstone corner infielders. Put those two with McCutchen, Tabata, Walker and Sanchez waiting in the wings, the 2013 Bucs could look very promising, assuming they can put together a competent starting pitching staff. :-)))

2013 is a failure. That means NH completely failed and should be fired. Im sick of waiting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:46 pm 

Ryann wrote:
2013 is a failure. That means NH completely failed and should be fired. Im sick of waiting.

:o :o :o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:54 pm 

Despite the recent struggles, I think this lineup will be rock solid in the near future. Unfortunately despite the fact the last two management groups have had the stated goal of accumulating pitching over the past decade, I fail to see any. We very well could compete for a divisonal title offensively in the near future but I just don't see the pitching arriving in the next 2-3 yrs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:00 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Rotten_Scoundrel wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:38 pm 

By 2013, the Pirates will have some very good pitchers on the roster. Justin Wilson, Rudy Owens and Bryan Morris are solid prospects with very good command, plus velocity, good K rates, low HR's allowed, high groundball rates. They will be in their mid-20's at that point.

That does not include Quinton Miller, the 2009 pitching selections (Von Rosenberg, Cain, etc.) or the 2010 high school influx.

Nor does it include James McDonald or perhaps a rejuvenated Charlie Morton.

Putting all those arms in the mix, the Pirates will have a lot of very high-ceiling, top performing, very good "stuff" pitchers for the rotation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:38 am 

When Pedro is approaching free agency at the end of 2016, should we trade him or try to re-sign him?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 am 

Ralphie wrote:
When Pedro is approaching free agency at the end of 2016, should we trade him or try to re-sign him?

Depends on the circumstances. Is Pedro playing like an elite level talent at the end of 2016? Is the rest of the team in a state where they are able to contend with Pedro? Is Pedro likely to be replaced by a better talent in the minors? Is Pedro likely to decline shortly after 2016?

All of these questions likely cannot be answered until 2016.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 am 

Wrong - Ryann knows all the answers now. Just ask him if you don't believe me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:09 pm 

My teenage boys know all the answers too. NO surtprise there. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:37 pm 

I did not mean that 2013 is going to be a failure. I meant that if 2013 is going to be the first good Pirate's team then this plan has been a failure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:45 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I did not mean that 2013 is going to be a failure. I meant that if 2013 is going to be the first good Pirate's team then this plan has been a failure.

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:50 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Because...?

If the goal is to field a good/winning/playoff team and that's what 'the plan' is for and it delivers in 2013, I can't possibly see how it's a failure.

A bit slow, obviously, but somewhat expected considering what was left behind in the cupboard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:45 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Because...?

If the goal is to field a good/winning/playoff team and that's what 'the plan' is for and it delivers in 2013, I can't possibly see how it's a failure.

A bit slow, obviously, but somewhat expected considering what was left behind in the cupboard.

Are you kidding me? A 6 year plan? Sorry that is not a success. This teams needs to be good by 2012 or even 2011 to make this plan work. If they do not make the playoffs by 2012 then Nh should be fired.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:08 pm 

I've read that Rendon can play SS. Probably less likely after the injury. I've also read some scouts believe he'll ultimately be a 2B.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:13 pm 

Ryann wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Because...?

Are you kidding me? A 6 year plan? Sorry that is not a success. This teams needs to be good by 2012 or even 2011 to make this plan work. If they do not make the playoffs by 2012 then Nh should be fired.

I'm thinking that if they don't win the world series in consecutive years, starting in 2011, the FC/NH regime has wasted our time while failing our PBC miserably. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:37 pm 

I'm thinking that if they don't win the world series in consecutive years, starting in 2011, the FC/NH regime has wasted our time while failing our PBC miserably. :roll:[/quote]

Wow you do not think 2012 playoffs is going to happen? If we do not make the playoffs by 2012 they have both failed and should be fired. End of Story.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:44 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
I've read that Rendon can play SS. Probably less likely after the injury. I've also read some scouts believe he'll ultimately be a 2B.

That's the opposite of what I've read. What I've heard is that Rendon projects, much like Alvarez, to be moved from 3rd to 1st down the road because of further physical development that's likely to occur.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:56 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Why?

Because if this team doesn't make the playoffs in 2012 NH should be fired? Why?
Because that would mean he has failed 5 straight years to put a winning team on the field. 5 year plans are way to common with the Pirates, and if this one fails then the person who is responsible (NH) should be fired. Pretty simple Wilton, or is that to complicated for you? :roll: