Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm Done
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:46 pm 

I'm done following the Pirates this season. I can't take it anymore. I'll wait for the Pens to start their season and follow them.

I will still visit the board and make posts but I can't watch them anymore. They are no fun to watch. Maybe next year.

Post subject: Re: I'm Done
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:05 pm 

Any good feelings for this new "Core" group of new highly touted talents, which were reported by the front office and some local press to need just a bit of seasoning before starting a string of winning seasons has been beaten out of me. In my view, short of a desire to see a fireworks show or other such diversion there is scant little reason to go the ballpark for the rest of the season. My sports entertainment dollars are better enjoyed elsewhere. It's no fun watching your team get kicked in the pants most nights.

Seeing the complete collapse as teams have figured out how to pitch the newcomers, my hopes for much improvement next season are dying too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:07 pm 

You wish. You will continue to watch and suffer because you are compelled to.

It is funny watching the Pirates trying to sell tickets. Personally I'm not going to any more games. I went 3 times this year and that was enough.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:29 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
You wish. You will continue to watch and suffer because you are compelled to.

It is funny watching the Pirates trying to sell tickets. Personally I'm not going to any more games. I went 3 times this year and that was enough.

That is the best way to turn it around. Stop going to games and giving the team your money.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:39 pm 

BD...I can completely understand...I don't prioritize watching right now either. But then I see those glimmers of hope like Pedro hitting those bombs and I am encouraged to think that there is at least a chance that I am watching the beginning of something special.

However, if this group doesn't pan out in a year or two, I will not wait around for the next incarnation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:26 pm 

Ryann wrote:
That is the best way to turn it around. Stop going to games and giving the team your money.

Yes, of course, because that is how the Rays turned it around, and how the Padres turned it around, and how the Reds turned it around ....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:13 am 

In what world does less money = better product?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:40 am 

NDL wrote:
In what world does less money = better product?

None.

However if Nutting starts losing money in his operation where he puts a cheap shit baseball field out there, and still keeps making profits cause of people coming to games then he will be forced to sell the team. Don't give them any money until they start spending some on winning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:41 am 

So the money Nutting is spending on draft picks doesn't really count for you, does it? Idiot...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:15 am 

I don't know why this is an issue. They have four legit players who are part of their corp. They are young, talented and even their numbers are pretty good. They will go through growing pains. Look ahead, not the wins and losses right now. And we are going to add another player and it could be Rendon. The losses are actually helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:26 am 

Until, and if, it translates into wins, it's all just talk. And, I think everyone has heard enough talk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:41 pm 

historyprof wrote:
So the money Nutting is spending on draft picks doesn't really count for you, does it? Idiot...

No it doesn't. That money dwarves what many teams spend in free agency. The Pirates spent 8 million dollars in 2009 draft on the first 10 rounds, and probably close to 1-2 million more on the rest of the draft. Good Free agents go for 10 million +, and most competitve teams spend that much on more then one player. Quit acting like we are spending massive amounts on the draft, when in reality we would be spending alot more to make this team better through free agency. Nutting continues to bring in huge profits by spending less then anyone else. Until MLB makes a salary cap, things will be screwed up for Pittsburgh since our owner doesn't have to spend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:45 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Quit acting like we are spending massive amounts on the draft

But the fact is we are spending more than most on the draft. That's a fact Jack! 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:48 pm 

Ryann wrote:
historyprof wrote:

No it doesn't. That money dwarves what many teams spend in free agency. The Pirates spent 8 million dollars in 2009 draft on the first 10 rounds, and probably close to 1-2 million more on the rest of the draft. Good Free agents go for 10 million +, and most competitve teams spend that much on more then one player. Quit acting like we are spending massive amounts on the draft, when in reality we would be spending alot more to make this team better through free agency. Nutting continues to bring in huge profits by spending less then anyone else. Until MLB makes a salary cap, things will be screwed up for Pittsburgh since our owner doesn't have to spend.

Why would spending huge amounts of money on free agents be better? Have you not witnessed what happened in Seattle and Baltimore over the past 10 years?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:52 pm 

Money is being spent on the draft to build the minor league system. That's the only way to do it. Quality free agents should be acquired when the core talent is ready.

They aren't ready yet.

When the time comes, if it comes, we shall see if the money will be spent to bring in the talent and keep most of the core talent here.

Lots of ifs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:09 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Good Free agents go for 10 million +,

No, average free agents are going for $10 million...Good free agents are going for $15 million plus...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:14 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Money is being spent on the draft to build the minor league system. That's the only way to do it. Quality free agents should be acquired when the core talent is ready.

They aren't ready yet.

When the time comes, if it comes, we shall see if the money will be spent to bring in the talent and keep most of the core talent here.

Lots of ifs.

You express my thoughts on the Pirates. But I would add that while you are correct, it is still very hard to watch this dvelopment hoping that it will come to fruition soon. I can understand those who are disappointed yet again and will only accept winning at the big league level. There is no way around this approach for a small market team in this baseball contrived situation of the rich and poor. But man this is hard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:18 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

They aren't ready yet.

Lots of ifs.

You express my thoughts on the Pirates. But I would add that while you are correct, it is still very hard to watch this dvelopment hoping that it will come to fruition soon. I can understand those who are disappointed yet again and will only accept winning at the big league level. There is no way around this approach for a small market team in this baseball contrived situation of the rich and poor. But man this is hard.

Few things worth doing are ever easy. If this were easy, Littlefield likely would have done it years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:51 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Quit acting like we are spending massive amounts on the draft

But the fact is we are spending more than most on the draft. That's a fact Jack! 8-) 8-) 8-)

More? Again stupid misleading statements like that plague this board. The Pirates spent 9.35 million dollars on the 2009 draft. That was more then anyone else in the Majors. The Los Angeles Angels spent 3.74 million dollars on the 2009 draft. That was less then anyone else in the Majors.
http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2010/02/13/ ... -spending/

That is only a less than 6 million dollar difference between 1st and last in spending on draft. Do not act like Nutting is spending alot more money then anyone else on the draft. The Pirates also have been forced to spend more with high picks from losing aswell. The only change has been we actually take the best player with our 1st pick in the draft, instead of taking the best player who is easiest to sign.

Now look at MLB payrolls. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries/teams

The Pirates are not only spending the least on payroll they are spending the least in operations as a whole. This proves that they have the money to spend on free agents to improve the team THIS OFFSEASON and try to contend in 2011. However it is my guess that Nutting will keep laughing to the bank...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:01 pm 

It is app. 250% more than the Angels.

Ryann wrote:
More?

Yes it is more.

Ryann wrote:
Again stupid misleading statements like that plague this board.

No, it is not stupid and neither is it misleading. Those are the numbers.

Do I think we could do better in our qwest for FA. Yep. But my statement is neither stupid nor misleading.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Get a grip kid.