Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snell ready to return from disabled list
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:46 pm 

PITTSBURGH -- Pirates bullpen coach Luis Dorante wore catcher's equipment as he stepped up to the plate during one of Ian Snell's three pitching sessions last week.
Dorante wanted to make sure he was fully protected if the 26-year-old wildly threw a fastball between his ears or at his stomach.

But who could blame him?

Snell was in the middle of rehabilitating his injured right elbow, which has sidelined him for over two weeks and was a big factor in Snell's uncharacteristic 3-7 record and 5.99 ERA. An MRI revealed Snell had medial epicondylitis, more commonly known as golfer's elbow.

But with more than two weeks of rest and encouraging bullpen sessions, Snell is ready to make his return to the Pirates' rotation. As expected, Pittsburgh activated the right-hander after Monday's game. Outfielder Steve Pearce was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis to make room for Snell on the 25-man roster.

"I don't feel like I'm being rushed at all," Snell said. "We had two weeks off, and I think that's enough time. Hopefully everything goes well. Hopefully nothing happens further.

"I'm glad they want me to pitch. I didn't want to go down to Triple-A and have to pitch. I want to stay here and prove myself -- not that I have to or need to. I just need to prove to myself."

Pirates manager John Russell said Snell will be limited to a pitch count between 70-80 pitches, the same limit left-hander Phil Dumatrait was held to on Monday when he returned from the DL.

"To tell you the truth, I have no fear of anything," Snell said. "If something happens, it happens. You have no control over that. I know I'm healthy. I'm just really anxious to get back out there and throw the ball."

Pitching matchup
PIT: RHP Ian Snell (3-7, 5.99 ERA)
Snell took a week off from throwing to let the inflammation in his right elbow subside, and he reported finally feeling better than he has in weeks. Snell is 2-3 with a 3.91 ERA in nine career appearances (eight starts) against the Astros.

HOU: RHP Brandon Backe (5-9, 5.22 ERA)
Backe yielded five runs against the Dodgers in his most recent outing, giving up three runs in the first and solo home runs in the third and fifth frames. Backe has allowed a combined 11 earned runs over his last two outings. The right-hander has faced the Pirates once this year, yielding four runs over six innings in a losing effort. In his career, Backe is 4-2 with a 3.32 ERA over nine games, including six starts, vs. Pittsburgh.

Bucs bits
Pirates reliever Franquelis Osoria picked up the win in a rehab appearance for Triple-A Indianapolis on Monday night. The right-hander threw a scoreless inning. On Sunday, Jason Bay hit his 134th career home run as a Pirate. He is one homer away from tying Al Oliver for 10th place on the club's all-time list. ... Pirates Charities will announce on Wednesday that it has formed a partnership with the Miracle League of Southwestern Pennsylvania (MLSWPA) to build the first Miracle Field in southwestern Pennsylvania. The field will provide the opportunity for children with special needs to realize their dream of playing baseball and softball in a league-based environment. The new field will be made of a synthetic surface to make it possible for children in wheelchairs and walkers to safely move about the field. It will also feature an ADA compliant concession stand, dugouts and restrooms and include lights that will allow the children to play night games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080708&content_id=3089661&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Post subject: Re: Snell ready to return from disabled list
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:31 pm 

Greg Brown indicated last night that Snell was really excited about this start tonight. Snell felt like he would do very well according to Brown.

Sure hope so. Like to see the old Snell out there tonight.... but he's done so poorly this year, I'll have to be a 'Doubting Thomas'. Come on Ian prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:28 pm 

Well, my man Snell went off again. Russell took him out after he had surpassed his 80 pitch count and walked the last guy in the 4th.

Let's remember that he has just come off the DL and needed to be gradually brought back to strength.

So, what does he do? Cusses all the way off the field and then trashes the dougout; then takes his bat back and smashes it. In other words makes an ass of himself.

He pitched well. gave up one run and that on a wind assisted home run. He should be happy, instead he acts like an immature baby like two years ago. Time for Ian to gtow up. Enough already.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:29 pm 

Rain delay. Hell with it, I'm going back to my novel. Night all

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Substitute2 wrote:
Well, my man Snell went off again. Russell took him out after he had surpassed his 80 pitch count and walked the last guy in the 4th.

Let's remember that he has just come off the DL and needed to be gradually brought back to strength.

So, what does he do? Cusses all the way off the field and then trashes the dougout; then takes his bat back and smashes it. In other words makes an ass of himself.

He pitched well. gave up one run and that on a wind assisted home run. He should be happy, instead he acts like an immature baby like two years ago. Time for Ian to gtow up. Enough already.

I would have loved to hear what Dougie was saying to Snell as the rain delay began

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:54 pm 

doug is a class act i like him did ian seem to be listening i think he was

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:31 am 

cappscrew138 wrote:
I would have loved to hear what Dougie was saying to Snell as the rain delay began

Hopefully something along the line of, "quit acting like a petulant pu$$y".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:28 pm 

It's like, C'mon, Ian! Grow the heck up already!! Everyone's had it with your little tantrums. The only thing it does is sell papers. The media loves it when he goes off because they know they'll have something to print. They should refuse to interview him after that- maybe he'd quit. Just my experience with children talking there.

I mean really, what did he want? Russell left him in 8 pitches longer than he was supposed to, and he actually pitched pretty well, albeit not real efficiently. A storm was bearing down on them anyway. So who are you going to get mad at, God? The weatherman?

The killer quote was when he said, Hey, I can't come off the mound stonefaced! Uhh.....yes you can, Ian. It's called maturity. And the lack of it will keep you from ever being a winner in the bigs.

Oh, and BTW, kudos to Minkie. Awesome mic'd up Tuesday! This guy could bat .150 and be my 25th man any day. Had good advice for McLouth before his 2nd at bat that Nate seemed to listen to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:49 am 
Anyone else think Snell's stuff looked much better in his return the other night. I'm hoping the time on the DL righted whatever was ailing him.