Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sox discussed adding Bonds
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:38 am 

ESPN's Peter Gammons said on Sunday night's Red Sox-Yankees game broadcast that the Red Sox have had "internal discussions" about Barry Bonds, but he considers a workout for the 43-year-old free agent unlikely. Red Sox pitcher and vocal Bonds critic Curt Schilling, who is out for the season, Monday morning on Boston sports radio station WEEI called the possibility of Bonds coming to Boston for the stretch run "three months of a PR nightmare." More from Schilling: "That would be an eye-opener for sure. I know Barry said in the past that he hates the city of Boston. I really don't know. I hadn't thought about that one, I didn't think that was on the radar." (Boston Globe)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/extramustard/specials/morning_jolt/2008/07/08/morning.jolt/index.html

Post subject: Re: Sox discussed adding Bonds
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:10 pm 

OMG!!! I don't always agree with Curt Schilling, but he certainly hit it on the head.....what a horrible PR nightmare, indeed!!! I am certain that the folks in the Red Sox front office dismissed that fantasy fairly quickly!! Now, if Bonds went to the Yankees, I could see him "fitting in" more there.....with the A-Rod drama and everything else that swirls around the Yankees. Ha, that would be high drama!! Fun to watch!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:26 pm 

It's nice to know that Curt Schilling who is not contributing to the team is making the decisions for the Sox. Does he own the team? Is he the manager? Is he playing for the team?

Is he holier then thou? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Schilling of course has done no wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:28 pm 

I think you're right Doc. The Yanks and A's seem to be the only AL clubs that could benefit from Bonds. The Red Sox have good chemistry right now and Bonds would probably wreck that. The Rays are out as are the White Sox. The Twins could use his bat, but where does he play and would the Twins pay him?

Unless he's willing to go to a team like KC, I think Bonds is done.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:10 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
It's nice to know that Curt Schilling who is not contributing to the team is making the decisions for the Sox. Does he own the team? Is he the manager? Is he playing for the team?

Is he holier then thou? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Schilling of course has done no wrong!

Curt Schilling is easily the biggest ***hole in baseball. I know in Pittsburgh Bonds is hated by most of the people and certainly has done more than his share to earn every ounce of criticism he has, but Schilling on a daily basis is a jerk. I absolutely can't stand this guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:26 pm 

I must repsectfully disagree Parrot. He may be a stroke but at least he speaks his mind. There are other more despicable characters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:08 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
The Red Sox have good chemistry right now and Bonds would probably wreck that.

Iconic columnist Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe has just argued otherwise on sports talk radio here. He said the Red Sox would pay little or no price for renting Bonds, other than the financial cost. Using the logic that he may be a jerk but he'd be our jerk, Ryan said Bonds also could count on a favorable reception from the fans, who have a history of galloping to the defense of people like Belichick, for being caught cheating, and Manny-being-Manny, for his numerous indiscretions.

I didn't hear the start of the conversation, so I don't know whether Ryan addressed the questions of whether Bonds would consider coming here or is anywhere near being in playing shape.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:11 pm 

Hell, why stop at Bonds then? Bring back the Rocket!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
The Red Sox have good chemistry right now and Bonds would probably wreck that.

Iconic columnist Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe has just argued otherwise on sports talk radio here. He said the Red Sox would pay little or no price for renting Bonds, other than the financial cost. Using the logic that he may be a jerk but he'd be our jerk, Ryan said Bonds also could count on a favorable reception from the fans, who have a history of galloping to the defense of people like Belichick, for being caught cheating, and Manny-being-Manny, for his numerous indiscretions.

I didn't hear the start of the conversation, so I don't know whether Ryan addressed the questions of whether Bonds would consider coming here or is anywhere near being in playing shape.

But what does Mike Lupica think? :roll: