Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebuilding
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:32 am 

I am perplexed by the people who advocate "blowing up the team" or "totally rebuilding" or "having a fire sale".

Nearly all of us would agree that we should seek to trade talented veterans who are approaching free agency for talented young players who would earn a lot less. Bay, Nady, Marte, and Grabow are in this catagory.

Beyond those guys, what are you talking about? Would you outright release guys? Who would you seek to trade, and what type of players would you expect to get in return?

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I am perplexed by the people who advocate "blowing up the team" or "totally rebuilding" or "having a fire sale".

Nearly all of us would agree that we should seek to trade talented veterans who are approaching free agency for talented young players who would earn a lot less. Bay, Nady, Marte, and Grabow are in this catagory.

Beyond those guys, what are you talking about? Would you outright release guys? Who would you seek to trade, and what type of players would you expect to get in return?

I would add Laroche to that category, and potentially Jack Wilson, pending the return you would get, but that's pretty much it. I would not release any of these guys.

I would rank our organizational needs as:
1. Starting pitching
2. Starting pitching
3. Shortstop
4. Starting pitching

I would want bona fide, legitimate prospects, even if they are a year or two away. Screw the major-league ready crap like Jody Gerut and Brian Rogers. If you can't get anything that fits that description and our needs, then hold on to people until the offseason. Collect draft picks for Marte. Try and deal the other guys then. Next year, at the deadline, when we are 10 games under, repeat the process. Its probably going to take 3 years or so to completely rebuild our minor league system to the point that it can start producing a major league winner.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:15 pm 

Agree with BBF

Don't release anyone. If no one wants our guys in trade for good prospects, we just keep them until FA takes them away. No give aways. Then they would be replaced with draft choices the next draft.

This would slow down development but would increase the talent in the minors with the prospect of winning down the road.

This may take longer then anyone of us wants it to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:30 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
Agree with BBF

Don't release anyone. If no one wants our guys in trade for good prospects, we just keep them until FA takes them away. No give aways. Then they would be replaced with draft choices the next draft.

This would slow down development but would increase the talent in the minors with the prospect of winning down the road.

This may take longer then anyone of us wants it to.

I agree with going for the best players, regardless of their current level. If they're in AAA, great. But if there's a legit ace being offered and he's in Class A, take him. That said, even if it takes 3 years for everyone to get ready, I don't believe in raising the white flag in 09, 2010, etc.