Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Today's Q&A
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:09 pm 

The question today asked why not dump Church and bring up Moss or Presley to take that spot. The obvious answer is that you want those guys to coninue to play every day, not sit on the bench.

The interesting question to me that came out of it is that Chruch came to us as a free agent but will be arbitration eligible after the season.

After having attained free agent status, why does he now revert to the arbitration process?

Post subject: Re: Today's Q&A
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 pm 

I'll take a shot at this.

Here's a story from January regarding the Bucs' signing of Ryan Church: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4822333

My guess is that Ryan Church has not yet earned eligibility for unrestricted free agency. Thus, the Pirates technically "control" him until he becomes eligible for unrestricted free agency. However, his contract expires after this year. The Pirates are not obligated to re-sign him or even tender him a contract. If the Pirates tender him a contract for 2011, Church can reject the contract and demand to go to arbitration. At that point, the Bucs and Church can either agree on an amount or have an arbitrator decide which tendered dollar figure is closest to Church's "real" value and that will be the amount of Church's 2011 compensation.

Atlanta refused to tender a contract to Church because they didn't want him to go to arbitration. He then became a free agent and, voila, the Bucs signed him. My guess is that the Bucs' FO will do the same as Atlanta last year and, at that time the Bucs refuse to "tender him," Church then becomes an unrestricted free agent who is free to sign with any team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:40 pm 

This is also why you will read about teams trying to "buy out" player's arbitration years. This will become an issue soon with Andrew McCutchen. The Pirates control McCutchen for a number of years but, after a certain number of years (3?), McCutchen is not obligated to accept the contract offered by the Pirates. After that number of years has passed, McCutchen can file for arbitration and get a substantial pay raise. This is also why a lot of teams will not promote budding superstars until mid-year. It essentially delays when the player become arbitration eligible and essentially adds another year of control. Very important to teams like Pittsburgh who have a difficult time competing with the big boys on top dollar players.

I expect that we will read at the end of this season or sometime next season that NH will approach McCutchen with a multiyear deal designed to buy out McCutchen's arbitration years with the possibility of buying out a year of free agency as well. Its what they did with McClouth and Doumit and Maholm (not sure about Maholm).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:52 pm 

I hadn't thought of that on Church. Makes sense. I'm sure the Bucs won't offer him a contract and he will again become a free agent.

McCutcheon will be arbitration eligible after the 2012 season. Maholm has a contract for next year at 5.5 and a club option for 2012 at 9.5.