Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Joe Kerrigan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:20 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I didn't know the Indians were in the NL central? I was speaking of NH's pirate's teams.

Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were talking about his past experiences.

Of course the Pirates haven't had winning records, nor did they have them for 15+ years before NH arrived.

Still, NH has helped to put together competitive teams before and that was the point I was making (albeit my mistake for misreading what you had typed).

Ryann wrote:
How will we win in the future when there are NO indications the team will ever spend any money retaining players, or signing free agents.

Well, first off there is not no indication that the Pirates won't retain players or sign FA's. Nutting may yet pull his head from his ass and finally wise up.

He did allow NH to acquire higher salary players like Aki after all. :lol:

Secondly, since the Pirates have the rights to players like Pedro, Jose and Cutch (and Tony Sanchez, Alderson, Lincoln, Taillon if he signs, etc, etc.) for a few more years they could always win with them before they trade them away.

Ryann wrote:
Tell me where I said Nh was a complete failure.

You ask and here it is:

Ryann wrote:
You can only blame NH for what really matters, and that is the Pirates win loss record. And since it is so bad he has been a complete failure until they start winning.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:25 pm 

He is a complete failure UNTIL they put a winning team on the field. To this point he has been one since there have been no results at the major league level. Nutting has never proven he worries about signing free agents or spending money. Aki's almost 5 million is another thing that concerns me. We spent hardly anything to begin with and then we waste 5 million on a AAA player?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:45 pm 

Ryann wrote:
He is a complete failure UNTIL they put a winning team on the field. To this point he has been one since there have been no results at the major league level.

That doesn't make alot of sense.

Because if the Pirates won 90 names in 2012, wouldn't that then automatically mean that EVEYRTHING NH did to produces said winning team was a success?

So you can't call him a complete failure UNLESS and UNTIL AFTER he fails to produce a winning team (and he is fired or he resigns because of it).

Calling him one before then is leaving one's self open to being entirely wrong (and foolish).

Ryann wrote:
Nutting has never proven he worries about signing free agents or spending money.

Like nad69dan points out, he's spent on the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:13 pm 

Ryann:

You have avoided explaining what qualities you think are desirable in a baseball player to help improve the talent on the Pirates, other than you bon mot,

Ryann wrote:
I consider "major league talent" players are players that can make a winning team in Pittsburgh.

Well, obviously Huntington could not be expected to obtain much in the way of "major league talent" in trades, since none of the players on the team at the time Huntington took over (December, 2007) fit that description.

Or are you suggesting that Huntington should have been able to deal "non-major league talent" and get "major league talent"??

Further, as to whether or not ownership pays to keep good players - Tabata, McCutchen, Walker, Alvarez, Meek, Hanrahan, Milledge, maybe even Jones - on the team, that remains to be seen. If the young talent progresses and the Pirates need 1 or 2 more contributors, but ownership responds by trading off the young talent, then I will be ticked.

However, I am not going to start tilting at 2014's windmill.

P.S. Of the good players listed above, Huntington acquired 6 of the 8. Six significant contributors on the team, and acquired by Huntington, 2 1/2 years after he took over.