Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C.C. to Brewers..
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:55 pm 

They're reporting here that C.C. Sabathia has been traded to the Milwaukee Brewers. Don't know the details yet.. sounds like the Tribe only got one real prospect. Why would they make this deal so early? How many days until the trade deadline?

Post subject: Re: C.C. to Brewers..
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:10 pm 

I read that Milwaukee wanted to get 2 starts from him by the All Star break. I believe he will start Tuesday and Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

One can't expect too much return for a rent-a-player.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:35 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
One can't expect too much return for a rent-a-player.

ZM

Think again. The Indians got top prospect Matt LaPorta from the Brewers. I'd say that he and the other 3 players in the deal are a good return.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:57 am 

Yes, but if CC walks after the season (and he's expected to enter free agency), the Brew Crew will get two top picks in the draft....and if Ben Sheets also leaves, they will get two more, if my information is correct. The Brewers are doing it right....waiting until they are close to getting to post-season and then going for the big name, but also rebuilding their farm system at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 am 
DocJeanO wrote:
Yes, but if CC walks after the season (and he's expected to enter free agency), the Brew Crew will get two top picks in the draft....and if Ben Sheets also leaves, they will get two more, if my information is correct. The Brewers are doing it right....waiting until they are close to getting to post-season and then going for the big name, but also rebuilding their farm system at the same time.

The Brewers ARE doing it right. Going out and getting a big gun to help you in a race. The fact that it's Milwaukee, not the Red Sox of Yankees, proves that the Pirates COULD do something like that one day. COULD. Not WILL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:26 am 

Elmer, my hope is that the new guys (NH, FC, JR) are more astute than the previous regime, and will make more productive moves. Nutting has also said that he's willing to spend the bucks when the time is right.....we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:30 am 

Elmer wrote:
.......proves that the Pirates COULD do something like that one day. COULD. Not WILL.

Patience. I know that after 15 years of losing, the faithful don't want to hear that word (again), but the new guys need to be given time to actually turn things around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:36 am 
DocJeanO wrote:
Elmer, my hope is that the new guys (NH, FC, JR) are more astute than the previous regime, and will make more productive moves. Nutting has also said that he's willing to spend the bucks when the time is right.....we'll see.

I hope you're right, DocJeanO. My biggest concern is that Nutting holds the purse strings, and he was a major part of the previous regime. Time will tell, but it's hard for me to have confidence until I see some results (wins).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:24 pm 

Elmer, I feel the same way as you do. We've been losing for so many years that it's hard to feel optimistic that it will ever change. From what I've read, Nutting really wasn't too involved in the day to day operations of the Pirates until last year, but he certainly made changes (finally) getting rid of McClatchy and Littlebrain and bringing in the new guys. I think he's been embarrassed by the local and national media trashing the Bucs, and wants to turn this thing around. At least the new guys haven't made any stupid moves yet, like Littlefield and McClatchy did on a consistent basis. I have to think that that duo (DL and McClatchy) was one of the most inept in the history of baseball!!! It certainly is positive that teams like the Brewers and Tampa Bay, as well as the Twins, are competitive and winning. It won't happen overnight here with the Pirates, but it proves it can be done on a small payroll, with solid drafts, good player development and astute trades.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 pm 

Let's see what we can get from the Dodgers for Wilson. That's going to give a good read on where this regime is going with the club.

CC and Jack were/are both being pursued by Dodger Blue. If CC can get LaPorta from the Brewers, I'd like to see someone like Preston Mattingly or Scott Elbert from the Dodgers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:45 pm 

I read in the paper the pirates are looking to get Matt Kemp. That would be a great trade if we could get kemp.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:49 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I read in the paper the pirates are looking to get Matt Kemp. That would be a great trade if we could get kemp.

Kemp is a natural center fielder, although he can play a corner spot. I'd have to think that getting Kemp would be part of a larger series of events that sends at least Bay and maybe Nady out of town as well. Otherwise, Pittsburgh ends up with a crowded outfield and nobody in the middle infield and on the mound.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:57 pm 

Elmer wrote:

proves that the Pirates COULD do something like that one day. COULD. Not WILL.

The key there is "one day". The Brewers waited until they had successfully built up the farm system, and had a steady stream of talent coming up prior to this trade. They also had a deep enough system that trading prospects for CC wasn't quite so painful. The Pirates are a couple years away from being at that point.