Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Same old offense
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:36 am 

Well it's back. A run here......a run there......and so on......

This team doesn't have the starting pitching to win low scoring games on a regular basis.

This team seems as though they have not developed enough hitters to score runs in bunches on a regular basis.

What we have is what we have. I still think the Pirates are going to need another big hitter and an ace-type starting pitcher (one minimum) to compete.

Post subject: Re: Same old offense
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:01 am 

The key players - Tabata, Walker, McCutchen, Alvarez, Milledge - are all very, very young. None of them is anywhere near the peak of his productive years. They are good hitters, and as a group will be better by a long shot in 2011 than they are right now.

This time next year, I expect that the Pirates are going to have a pretty good offense. Tabata had a great game, but Walker struggled. That is the way it is going to be when the team's core hitters are 21, 24, 23, 23 and 25.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:07 am 

They are and will be good hitters. I'm just not sure it's going to be enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:25 am 

I think it's going to be enough with the aforementioned players above but here's what needs to happen.

IMO, you have what you have and to me Walker has solidified the 2nd base spot. Give him a chance to be the next MAZ. A hometown kid with all the tools.

You drafted Pedro for a reason. Not sure if 3rd is his spot but his plate discipline is getting better and he's going to be a big time bat. He'll find his spot on the diamond.

Tabata, kids going to be a stud. Power? You want power. An opposite field homer showed me all I need to know tonight. It's going to develop. His range in the field is top notch. He's very talented and shows passion for the game.

The young talent is not going to be enough to compete at the MLB level. You have to mix in veterans with the young talent if this thing is going to succeed. Do that, hope your future draft picks develop, rinse and repeat and you have what you need to be a successful franchise for years to come.

San Diego is a good ball club. I haven't stayed on top of them to see how they turned things around this year but hopefully we'll be able to compete just like they have in a couple of seasons, if not next season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:05 am 

Bucco, That's very optimistic and I hope you are correct. The only concern is whether we have the right scouts and the ability to judge talent. For a franchise like the Pirates, that's critical. Making solid draft choices, making sound trades, signing good free agents - all of that is necessary for the Bucs to compete and compete year in and year out. If they drop the ball, so to speak, on any of those three components, the Bucs are toast. The can't afford to make mistakes like the big market teams can - the Yankees? Who cares if they sign a free agent for big bucks and he's a failure? They just get rid of him and sign someone else. Bucs can't do that!! But, again, if they have the right guys making the decisions, then they do have a chance to compete on a regular basis. Thus far, over the past 17 or 18 years, they haven't. We'll see what the current FO can do..........

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:16 pm 

Just read Finder's piece in the Sunday P-G. It dovetails with another analysis that I stumbled onto quite by accident last night of where the Pirates are organizationally and what the near term probably holds for them. To say the least, it (that analysis) is depressing:

* Without an infusion of talent from the outside, the Bucs probably won't get to .500 until 2013 and won't be competitive until 2014.

* All of the minor league pitching prospects are, at a minimum, two years away from promotion to Pittsburgh and some of them are going through serious struggles at the moment or have long-term injuries. Even when they finally arrive in the big leagues, a period of adjustment will follow just as Lincoln is experiencing now.

* Jameson Taillon and Stetson Allie -- even if they sign next month -- aren't likely to get to the majors until the current core players on the Pirates are at or nearing the end of their contracts and may no longer be affordable by the ownership (especially Andrew McCutchen).

* Most of the presumed talent in the pipeline is borderline major-league -- virtually no game-changers.

The writer, Matt Shetler, represents himself as a Pittsburgher and sports commentator with print and broadcasting experience. Some of you may be familiar with him (I'm not). If anyone else on the board is interested in reading what he wrote, here's the URL:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/420724-what-exactly-is-the-pirates-long-term-plan

Thoughts, anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:27 pm 

We're going to see what Bob Nutting is all about in the next few years. The wallet better open up so we can bring in some top tier free agents to complete the pieces of the puzzle. And also keep this core of players long term.

It will be all about this owner and his commitment to winning. We shall see his true colors....hopefully lots of $green$

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:25 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
We're going to see what Bob Nutting is all about in the next few years. The wallet better open up so we can bring in some top tier free agents to complete the pieces of the puzzle. And also keep this core of players long term.

It will be all about this owner and his commitment to winning. We shall see his true colors....hopefully lots of $green$

It will take lots of green to not only bring in veteran FA's, but re-sign the pieces currently in place.

If I had to choose between the two options, I'd rather Nutting and the FO decided to keep what is currently in place and roll the dice on less pricey vets (because I'm tired of watching the Pirates trading away players that the they develop)

I'm still holding out hope that Nutting sells the team though. If they become competitive and/or profitable he may be persuaded to 'sell high' and I would love for a new ownership group, who is ready and willing to spend what it takes, to take over.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:59 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
I'm still holding out hope that Nutting sells the team though. If they become competitive and/or profitable he may be persuaded to 'sell high' and I would love for a new ownership group, who is ready and willing to spend what it takes, to take over.

The problem is that you're assuming without evidence that Nutting would not be ready and willing to spend what it takes when the time comes. You're also assuming that a new owner would do anything different. All we have is a history of poor management pre-2007 that's attributable to McClatchy. You can't judge Nutting on that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm 

Willton wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

The problem is that you're assuming without evidence that Nutting would not be ready and willing to spend what it takes when the time comes. You're also assuming that a new owner would do anything different. All we have is a history of poor management pre-2007 that's attributable to McClatchy. You can't judge Nutting on that.

Yeah, you're right, I am hoping for alot.

But I've been a Bucs fan since the early 90's (when I was just a little fat kid), so after nearly 20 years of abysmal baseball fandom, all I have is hope for the future. :D