Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking back....the past
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:11 pm 

Okay, I have to admit I've enjoyed the heck out of these last few handful of games or so. At a very young age, 24, I've had my share of watching my buccos break out in an offensively onslaught here and there in the past.

But this is different. There is all this young talent, you can see it, Walker, Tabata, Alvarez, Cutch and so on when it comes to an offensive standpoint. The last few games they've put on a show and it's nice to know it's not some player who's coming up on the end of their contract and will be shipped away for more prospects. These guys haven't even reached 25. I think Walker may be the oldest out of they young prospects just showing up. It's neat watching learn how to win and for a team and franchise that doesn't win alot it's exciting.

Anyways, my question was for some of the older fans than myself out there what was the offensive output like for the teams of the past?? The lumber company, the teams in the early 90's? Heck, even beyond that. Did you watch or listen to teams that would put up huge numbers offensively more so than not?

It grabs my attention because as a fan of every Pittsburgh pro sport I long to see a great pirates team. I have never seen that. I've seen super bowl winners and stanley cup winners.

Post subject: Re: Looking back....the past
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:25 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The Lumber Co. came by its name honestly.

They pounded the ball.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm 

I grew up in Tennessee surrounded by Braves or Reds fans. I saw the Pirates on TV in 1978 and was immediately hooked by Stargell, Parker and the rest of the "Family". I've been a die hard fan since.

Parker's arm was legendary. Absolute lasers. And he was such an intimidating figure in the batter's box. Stargell was just Stargell. Great player, great guy. It was fun to grow up in that era.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:22 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Okay, I have to admit I've enjoyed the heck out of these last few handful of games or so. At a very young age, 24, I've had my share of watching my buccos break out in an offensively onslaught here and there in the past.

But this is different. There is all this young talent, you can see it, Walker, Tabata, Alvarez, Cutch and so on when it comes to an offensive standpoint. The last few games they've put on a show and it's nice to know it's not some player who's coming up on the end of their contract and will be shipped away for more prospects. These guys haven't even reached 25. I think Walker may be the oldest out of they young prospects just showing up. It's neat watching learn how to win and for a team and franchise that doesn't win alot it's exciting.

Anyways, my question was for some of the older fans than myself out there what was the offensive output like for the teams of the past?? The lumber company, the teams in the early 90's? Heck, even beyond that. Did you watch or listen to teams that would put up huge numbers offensively more so than not?

It grabs my attention because as a fan of every Pittsburgh pro sport I long to see a great pirates team. I have never seen that. I've seen super bowl winners and stanley cup winners.

The teams of the '70s were just scary, and not just the starting lineup. They were so deep that they could trade away the occasional Richie Zisk just to get bullpen help.

My favorite was probably the 1971 World Champions. They led the league with 788 runs scored, 49 more than second place St. Louis. And this was with an absolute offensive black hole at shortstop. The rest of the National League teams averaged 619 runs. They had ten players with more than 100 at bats post an OPS+ over 100, and two more came in at 98 and 95. Most of the roster consisted of above average major league hitters. Stargell led the way with his second best season at the plate, putting up a .295 - .398 - .646 line, 104 runs scored, 125 RBI and 48 HRs. Just an incredible offensive force.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:11 pm 

Yeah, there were some great hitters in the 70s. Clemente early in that decade, and then Stargell, Parker, Zisk, Bob Robertson, Al Oliver, Sanguillen, Hebner, and so on. Stennett before he broke his leg could rake. Oh, and Dave Cash wasn't bad, either. Three Rivers just buzzed when Wilver Darnell Stargell got to the plate. I got to see him hit a few out, and I didn't get to very many games. Those were memorable days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:06 am 

I started watching in the early-mid '60s and the Pirates offensive reputation was always miles ahead of thier pitching reputation. But I agree with the others about the '70-'72 teams.... you just always had a sense that even if they were 4-5 runs down they were going to come back and even if a couple guys were struggling, two or three others would carry the load and when everyone was clicking it was incredible to watch. We were pretty spoiled in the 70s...I just always assumed that the Pirates and Steelers won every year.

By the way, a lot of people, myself included, think the 72 team was better than the 71 team.