Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Future
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:53 am 

I think Vazquez would be intriguing.

After looking at the free agent list for our other glaring hole (SS), I would think it better to spend some dough on our pitching. Yes, Vazquez is flawed. Yes, he will be expensive. But assuming we won't outbid the Yankees on Lee, I might not mind throwing some cash at Vazquez. He immediately upgrades our staff. He will be off the books by the time we need to pony up for the core. And even at $13 mil, adding him to the payroll should not adversely affect our draft and/or Latin America budgets.

The big risk is that he turns into a Matt Morris albatross. But I would argue there is at least a reasonable chance that he gives us two good years before turning into a pumpkin. And of course, because I am hard wired to think like a Pirates fan, we can always flip him in the second year of his contract. The bottom line for me is that he blocks no one and with the payroll that we have, there is no reason we can't take $13 mil and feed it to the geese floating out in the Allegheny River.

The number that Barry tossed out, $13 mil x 3 years might be as high as I would want to go, but maybe $12 x 2 with a $15 mil option that vests on certain performance-based clauses? I'd take a gamble like that. Not sure if JV would though.

Post subject: Re: The Future
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:55 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
OK, so we are to be satisfied with the worst rotation in the NL? You guys are tearing apart the safest bet on the market not named Cliff Lee. Apparently Vazquez has been lucky for 10 years, his otherwise top end numbers don't count. Why would we want a guy who can post a mid 3.00's ERA and take every turn. We have the picture of mediocrity (not even as we routinely manage 67 wins), why try and get better?

Where do you think we are going to get an above average SP? Taillon will be 2013 minimum are we ready to do nothing for 2 years and continue losing? The guys in the high minors project as back end starters, even being wildly optimistic you might pencil Owens or Morris in as a 3. By the time Cain and ZVR et al arrive it will be 3 years of losing on McC and Pedro. You have to take a risk to get ahead and we are in a position to take a risk because the payroll room is there and it won't hurt (other than Nutting's pocket) to be wrong. This is a risk worth taking, it holds no one back and the plus side is huge.

Oh well, nevermind, I'll go cheer my arse off for Jeff Karstens tomorrow night, he's the answer.

You're right that the starting pitching needs a total overhaul by 2012, but I don't think Javier Vasquez is the answer.

Like BBF mentions, I don't want the Bucs to sign a #3 at best starter and have him become 'a Matt Morris albatross' (or Barry Zito redux). Such a terrible move might discourage Nutting from spending $$$ in the future.

Now, if the Bucs could sign Cliff Lee I say do it.

But I'm quite certain that won't happen.