Sanchez 2B
Bay LF
Doumit C
Nady RF
LaRoche 1B
Bautista 3B
Gomez SS
Duke P

2nd inning right now. Nats are hitting Duke. Pirates aren't hitting Perez. Nats score and lead 2-0........going to be a long night again... :?

Post subject: Re: Pirates vs Nats 5/1
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:42 pm 

Interesting strategy by Russell. 2nd and 3rd with one out and the infield in. Nats catcher singles. If the infield is back, only one run scores and there are two outs. I know this strategy has been discussed before, but it definitely cost the Pirates a run.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:27 pm 

I think there is a time and a place for that strategy, but I don't think the 2nd inning in a scoreless game is that time. Especially as dramatically as Freddy was drawn in at 2B.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:01 am 

Just got in to see the score. Well, at least we're still hitting the long ball consistently.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:59 am 

That guy who is the closer for the Nat's right now since Cordero is hurt doesnt look good...Freddy and Bay both hit the ball hard off of him, luckily for him it was right at the OFers

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:07 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
That guy who is the closer for the Nat's right now since Cordero is hurt doesnt look good...Freddy and Bay both hit the ball hard off of him, luckily for him it was right at the OFers

Freddy's swings looked very good, I thought. Duke's pitches had nice movement, too.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:59 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Interesting strategy by Russell. 2nd and 3rd with one out and the infield in. Nats catcher singles. If the infield is back, only one run scores and there are two outs. I know this strategy has been discussed before, but it definitely cost the Pirates a run.

Bucco Boy -
At risk of being accused of engaging in 20/20 hindsight, I'd add this . . .
I have an XM radio and was listening to the Washington radio "guys" talk about the current play of the Nationals. They were both raving about what a hot bat that was being swung by Nieves. They commented that he was definitely in the lineup because of his bat (commenting that his D was suspect) when compared to what they have seen from Estrada.
When I was watching the progress on MLB.com's GameDay (can't compete with the rest of my family for Thursday night TV), I thought that the better route would have been for Duke to have intentionally walked Nieves to get to Perez to (1) set up a double play or (2) get to Lopez with 2 outs and no runs on the board. I fully understand that there is a downside and that Lopez singled sharply in the previous inning . . . I just thought to myself that I disagreed with Russell's approach at that time. Particularly since I heard the Washington announcers commenting about how hot Nieves was hitting.
Given that I was watching computer updates, I didn't know that Russell pulled the infield in. I agree with you - I would not have had the infield playing in - not at that point in the game. If they were going to pitch to Nieves and with Perez batting next, I would have traded an out for a run in that situation. I just watched the replay on MLB.com and agree that it is clear that Sanchez would have made the play if he had been playing in his regular position. Although the outcome of the game proved to be a low scoring affair, I would not have thought so in the 2nd inning and would have anticipated a higher run environment where at least 4-5 runs would be needed to win the game. Further, given that Duke had already given up 3 hits to the first 7 batters of the game, I'm not sure why Russell thought it would be better to try to prevent a single run in that situation. At that point, it appeared to me that Duke was going to have a short outing.
Another tough game to lose. Very disappointing.