Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible Available Starting Pitching!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:24 pm 

I was looking at possible available starting pitching out there, and came across a few names...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

A possible trade partner I found was Minnesota...They are hurting in the OF for production, and Nady or Bay could fill that void, and spell someone as a DH...

They are in the market to unload some starters, Livan Hernandez and Boof Bonser...I was thinking maybe a change of scene for Bonser and switching leagues might benefit him...He's young, durable, right handed, and available...
If all goes well, they currently have Adam Everett on the DL and is expected to be back after the All-Star Break, for a possible Nady for Bonser, Everett deal, allowing a Wilson trade to LA for prospects and having a decent defensive SS on the team...

Thoughts?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Possible Available Starting Pitching!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:03 pm 

Not a bad idea, but I would definitely lean away from Livan. I think we can get some help with our starting pitching without even dabbling in the trade market. Freddy Garcia is due to return soon and is without a team. I know that it would be a risk, but if you sign him to a deal with a club option for next year, it may be worth the risk. He had some success in Seattle and Chicago before flopping in Philly (where he got hurt). I remember him being a head case from Seattle, so he should fit right in with Snell and Gorzo :mrgreen: !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:48 pm 

If we trade for SP for this season, we are wrong. Our focus must stay on the future. Again, we all know that we are not going to win this year. Trase to make us a little better now while not staying focused on the next years will only weaken the improvement possibilities for our team.

Do the best with what we have now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:44 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
If we trade for SP for this season, we are wrong. Our focus must stay on the future. Again, we all know that we are not going to win this year. Trase to make us a little better now while not staying focused on the next years will only weaken the improvement possibilities for our team.

Do the best with what we have now.

Absolutely! Why on earth would we want to trade something for a vet or a mediocre major league guy. News flash...this season is over! As Sub2 said take a look at what you have(yea I know...) and do the best you can. While trading keep an eye to the future. Find a bat or another young arm(preferably one that works). But for God sakes no veterans unless they are a throw in.

Xavier Nady for Livan Hernandez. Not unless Littlefield's ghost has entered Huntingdon's body!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:30 am 

bonser and everett sounds excellent for nady.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:59 am 

How the hell would Everett and Livan be building for the future, exactly? Shortstops like Adam Everett explain how Jack Wilson played in an All Star game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:06 am 

nad69dan wrote:
I was looking at possible available starting pitching out there, and came across a few names...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

A possible trade partner I found was Minnesota...They are hurting in the OF for production, and Nady or Bay could fill that void, and spell someone as a DH...

They are in the market to unload some starters, Livan Hernandez and Boof Bonser...I was thinking maybe a change of scene for Bonser and switching leagues might benefit him...He's young, durable, right handed, and available...
If all goes well, they currently have Adam Everett on the DL and is expected to be back after the All-Star Break, for a possible Nady for Bonser, Everett deal, allowing a Wilson trade to LA for prospects and having a decent defensive SS on the team...

Thoughts?

I have no interest in Hernandez or Everett.

I'd be more interested in Bonser if he had any success at all at the major league level. Right now he looks terrible. A guy with the numbers that he had in the minors would be interesting, though, as long as he hasn't spoiled them with 42 awful starts at the major league level. But you could be right about the change of scenery.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm not a GM.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:26 am 

1st, I meant it to Bonser, just mentioned Livan because the Twins are looking to trade him too...Bonser is still young, and has been pretty durable.
Everett, was meant to be a rest of the year filler if you trade Jack, like the Dodger rumor going around. I'm not looking long term on Everett at all, just someone who can field the position nice til a real SS can be found in the off season. You get your prospects with Jack and you get a starting pitcher with Nady.

I'd take Everett for half a season than the Bixler/Rivas/Gomez creature they had batting and fielding like it was their 1st time on a ball field

From: http://www2.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/p ... of_Bonser/

Quote:
Assests: Pitches in the low-90's but does a good job of changing speeds. Has a strong curveball and can work himself out of jams. Usually throws strikes.

Quote:
Flaws: Is prone to surrendering the long ball. His weight needs to be kept in check. Has problems staying focused and command is sometimes an issue, as well.

Quote:
Career Potential: A solid mid-rotation starter.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:40 am 
Sure. Why not? This team is very bad and needs as many serviceable arms as possible.