Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates send Gorzelanny to Triple-A
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:27 pm 

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_576161.html

MILWAUKEE -- The Pirates today optioned left-hander Tom Gorzelanny to Triple-A Indianapolis.

There was no immediate word who will replace Gorzelanny in the starting rotation. Right-hander John Van Benschoten is still with the team -– although he was rocked Wednesday for five runs in 2 1/3 innings against Cincinnati.

The Pirates are due to get two starters back from the disabled list in the next few days. Lefty Phil Dumatrait will come off the DL Monday and right-hander Ian Snell on Tuesday.

Gorzelanny, who led the Pirates with 14 wins last season, left Miller Park this afternoon without stopping to talk to reporters.

Gorzelanny is 6-7 with a 6.57 ERA. He has lost three of his past five decisions.

Post subject: Re: Pirates send Gorzelanny to Triple-A
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:38 pm 

I'm surprised, but glad, only because it needed to be done...Surprised because there is nothing at AAA to bring up really...

Herrera has been pitching great at AA, and got a spot start last week at AAA in Van Benschoten's spot in the rotation...
There's Van Benschoten who could take it, but has sucked...
Then there's Burnett as another choice...

I wonder if its allowed, if the Pirates could set up a pitching machine and allow one of the coaches to stand behind an L screen?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:53 pm 

I like Gorzo and am sad to see him sent down. But he was hurting the team. Whatever the problem is, he simply is not performing up to major league standards. Remember we were told over and over that there would be accountability this season.

They really waited longer than they should have to move him down. It probably would have happened sooner but for the fact that we have no one to bribg up. Looks like JVB will step in again. He can't do worse.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:15 pm 

I'm sorry, but I love this move. Sometimes these guys need a wakeup call. Gorzo still has a bright future. But he needs to get back to basics and most of all, needs to find his control. I applaud NH on this decision.

Accountability.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:47 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I love this mood. Sometimes these guys need a wakeup call. Gorzo still has a bright future. But he needs to get back to basics and most of all, needs to find his control. I applaud NH on this decision.

Accountability.

I agree. Don't get comfortable. My only concern with Gorzo is that his problem is injury related. It has been written about. Gorzo apparently mentioned it to Lanny(I think) in a conversation. And Walk and Tekulve both eluded to it last night in the post game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:16 am 

This needed to happen before we Gorzo loses his confidence for good.
In triple A maybe they can work with him and get him back for a good year in 2009.
Back a month or so ago when we had our starters putting in good starts except for Gorzo we should've sent him down to the minors then.I hope maybe we will see him again this year but maybe he needs to spend the rest of the year in triple A to help him.It can only help him this can't hurt him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 am 

nad69dan wrote:
I'm surprised, but glad, only because it needed to be done...Surprised because there is nothing at AAA to bring up really...

Herrera has been pitching great at AA, and got a spot start last week at AAA in Van Benschoten's spot in the rotation...

I wonder if its allowed, if the Pirates could set up a pitching machine and allow one of the coaches to stand behind an L screen?

Both Russell and Huntingdon have stated many times that Sean Burnett is not going to start again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:28 am 

sisyphus wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Both Russell and Huntingdon have stated many times that Sean Burnett is not going to start again.

Yes, they've said it, but they also said that, when Snell and Phil were healthy and before they had to send down Gorzo and cut Bullington

I just threw out options...my choice would be to see what Herrera can do...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:58 am 
GREAT MOVE BY NH HERE!