Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Pirates can't afford to totally rebuild
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:09 am 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08186/894767-194.stm

Thats what they will most likely do. If you want to try and win a championship, its the wrong thing to do. If you want to draw enough fans to make a decent profit, its the right thing to do.

Post subject: Re: The Pirates can't afford to totally rebuild
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:44 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08186/894767-194.stm

Thats what they will most likely do. If you want to try and win a championship, its the wrong thing to do. If you want to draw enough fans to make a decent profit, its the right thing to do.

Smizik is full of crap. Again.

"With rain an almost constant threat, the Pirates drew disappointing crowds last weekend for a visit by the Tampa Bay Rays. The total tickets sold for the three games against a young, exciting team that was having surprising success was 53,786."

The young, exciting Rays can't even draw at HOME, let alone on the road. They are 13th in the AL in attendance, but their failure to attract more fans to PNC Park says something bad about the Pirates? Please.

The Pirates need to become competitive, able to contend for the division title on a fairly consistent basis. If blowing up this crew of proven losers is the best way to do that, then go right ahead.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:24 pm 

The point of the article was that the Pirates are most likely going to continue to suck. Instead of taking a step back to take two steps forward as per trying to win. And the reason for it is money. Ownership is not going to risk the fan base that they have anymore. Again from a business view, i cant blame them. From a fans stand point, I do....and so should you but some of you will always go or watch as long as its the Pittsburgh Pirates...you're too weak to walk away!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:29 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
The point of the article was that the Pirates are most likely going to continue to suck. Instead of taking a step back to take two steps forward as per trying to win. And the reason for it is money. Ownership is not going to risk the fan base that they have anymore. Again from a business view, i cant blame them. From a fans stand point, I do....and so should you but some of you will always go or watch as long as its the Pittsburgh Pirates...you're too weak to walk away!

Did your wife run out things that needed fixed around the house and you're bored to death since Hockey is over and its another 3 weeks til Training Camp in Latrobe that its time to copy and paste your constant crap over and over again on here...Get bent!!! You act like your 12!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:18 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
The point of the article was that the Pirates are most likely going to continue to suck.

So? The article presents no evidence beyond the opinion of a columnist who is paid to stir up controversy.

Quote:
Instead of taking a step back to take two steps forward as per trying to win.

Evidence? None. Only opinion.

Quote:
And the reason for it is money. Ownership is not going to risk the fan base that they have anymore. Again from a business view, i cant blame them. From a fans stand point, I do....and so should you but some of you will always go or watch as long as its the Pittsburgh Pirates...you're too weak to walk away!

This is in direct opposition to your usual argument, which is that the team is profitable whether they try to win or not. The recent draft and the signing of one of the top prospects in South America are enough to show me that this team is trying to win. Hell, even Littlefield was trying to win, but he had no clue when it came to evaluating talent.

As to my supposed weakness, well, I like baseball. When I lived in other cities I went to baseball games even though I had no rooting interest in either team. I enjoy going to Pirates games no matter what their record is. I would put it to you that it is the bandwagon jumper who is the weak one. I don't need to have my ego falsely inflated by the performance of any team, and I wasn't staggering around town entertaining suicidal thoughts after Sid Bream scored that winning run.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:55 am 

sisyphus wrote:
This is in direct opposition to your usual argument, which is that the team is profitable whether they try to win or not. The recent draft and the signing of one of the top prospects in South America are enough to show me that this team is trying to win. Hell, even Littlefield was trying to win, but he had no clue when it came to evaluating talent.

As to my supposed weakness, well, I like baseball. When I lived in other cities I went to baseball games even though I had no rooting interest in either team. I enjoy going to Pirates games no matter what their record is. I would put it to you that it is the bandwagon jumper who is the weak one. I don't need to have my ego falsely inflated by the performance of any team, and I wasn't staggering around town entertaining suicidal thoughts after Sid Bream scored that winning run.

As long as the payroll is low, the team will be profitable. How much depends on attenedance. In the past the team has traded talent for nothing to cut payroll. Now the luster of the new park gone, no All Star game packages and the the promos are not drawing what they have in the past, management knows the ticket base already shrinking will drop even more if they clean house for prospects. Go watch the Wildthings or a Legion game. Its cheap or free and its baseball. So you'll go no matter what. That is fine but how can you voice your displeasure with how they conduct business?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:41 am 
bullishhitter wrote:

I agree that Smizik's "point" about Tampa Bay was laughable. That said, the Pirates attendance problem as a whole is embarrassing. Not that I can blame fans for not showing up to watch this garbage . . . especially when ownership makes few attempts to improve.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:29 am 

You should not feel ashamed for low attendance. The owners should feel that way...but as much as you hear or read how they care, actions have always spoke louder.