Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 75903.html

Quote:
To clear space for Duffy on the 40-man roster, right-hander Bryan Bullington was designated for assignment.

Let the healing begin.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:24 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Wow, cutting Bullington?! That's great news. It must mean we needed to clear roster space for our next uber-prospect coming through that will turn the fortunes of this franchise.

What's that you say? Its for Chris Duffy? Oh. Well, as you were then.

:lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 707
I won't repeat the horse-beaten mantra about skipping over BJ Upton to select Bullington. Too easy... Let's focus on some of the other pitchers that could have been selected in this draft...

Cole Hamels
Scott Kazmir
Joe Saunders
Jeremy Guthrie
Joe Blanton
Jeff Francis
Zach Greinke
Matt Cain
Micah Owings
Jonathan Broxton
Jon Lester
Jesse Crain
John Maine
Scott Olsen
Joel Zumaya

Quite a group there...instead, we got Bullington. UGH! I didn't put the batters that could have been had, because we know that Littlebrain was drafting a pitcher no matter what. Too bad he couldn't select one that actually throw...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 3945
Location: Zelienople, PA
"Obviously we're not going to release [Bullington]," general manager Neal Huntington said last night. "It's a calculated gamble. We're not done with Bryan Bullington."

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:52 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
ZelieMike wrote:
"Obviously we're not going to release [Bullington]," general manager Neal Huntington said last night. "It's a calculated gamble. We're not done with Bryan Bullington."

ZM


I'm guessing this is a diplomatic statement to not hurt feelings. The alternative being:

"Bullington does not possess what we believe to be quality major league talent. However, because we know no other team will take him, much like when we did the same with Sean Burnett, who is actually a better pitcher by the way, and because our system is devoid of any real pitching talent, we'll keep him around. At least until Ryan Vogelsong's contract with the Hanshin Tigers expires."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:11 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Argentum wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
"Obviously we're not going to release [Bullington]," general manager Neal Huntington said last night. "It's a calculated gamble. We're not done with Bryan Bullington."

ZM


I'm guessing this is a diplomatic statement to not hurt feelings. The alternative being:

"Bullington does not possess what we believe to be quality major league talent. However, because we know no other team will take him, much like when we did the same with Sean Burnett, who is actually a better pitcher by the way, and because our system is devoid of any real pitching talent, we'll keep him around. At least until Ryan Vogelsong's contract with the Hanshin Tigers expires."



You said it. NH was being diplomatic about it, but I do think he is right that Bully clears waivers and stays at Indy.

And Chris, I agree there were many pitchers taken later that have been much, much, much, much, much (and so on) more successful than Bullington. However, hindsight is always 20/20. I'm no DL-fan, but the fact is that at the time, Bullington was viewed as the top college arm available, almost universally. So as much as I like to criticize DL (which I do), I'm hesitant to do so on that issue. BJ Upton, on the other hand, is a perfectly valid criticism.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 1920
BBF wrote:
And Chris, I agree there were many pitchers taken later that have been much, much, much, much, much (and so on) more successful than Bullington. However, hindsight is always 20/20. I'm no DL-fan, but the fact is that at the time, Bullington was viewed as the top college arm available, almost universally. So as much as I like to criticize DL (which I do), I'm hesitant to do so on that issue. BJ Upton, on the other hand, is a perfectly valid criticism.


I don't remember if Bullington was viewed as the top college arm that year or not, but I'll take your word for it. I refuse to believe he was viewed higher than Kazmir, Hamels, etc. But he was the top COLLEGE arm(safe). One of DL's many deficiencies(and his staff) was not being able to uncover any, ANY talent, or take any risks. They drafted Bullington because he was safe then. The heck with Cain, Hamels, Kazmir, Zumaya, well heck almost everyone on Chris's list above who could really throw the ball. You know, mid 90's and above. DL went with the safe pick. So instead of taking true talent DL was constantly picking "safe" guys. Bullington, JVB, Lincoln, and the cherry on top Moskos, who projects as a middle reliever....maybe??? Of those guys Lincoln is the only one with any hope of being a top to middle of the rotation pitcher. That's why I think it is valid to criticize his choice of pitchers. He never once went out and took the guy with tons of talent. Sure there were money constraints but not in Chris's example above. We all know where DL's logic got us, but I think it DOES deserve to be criticized. He and his "staff" were here for how many years and they never brought us one legitimate top notch pitcher, despite drafting pitchers constantly! I know you are saying that in that ONE particular case he took the guy everyone rated the top college pitcher but what about the high school guys. It would be neat to be able and go back and see how far Bullington would have fallen had the Pirates not drafted him.

And that is why I'm encouraged by the new staff. They have made no bones about it that they are looking for power arms. Lets face it, there aren't that many Greg Maddox/Tom Glavine types out there who have lots of success. You need to at least have SOME hard throwers on a team and in an organization.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 3945
Location: Zelienople, PA
Bradley and Burnett were both HS picks, and considered top talent at the time. Not sure if Bradley was before DL's time though.

JvB cannot be considered anything other than a risk, and was considered a power arm. Not at all "safe" taking a college hitter as a starting pitcher, I would think.

Malholm is working out just fine, if you ask me.

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
ZelieMike wrote:
Bradley and Burnett were both HS picks, and considered top talent at the time. Not sure if Bradley was before DL's time though.

JvB cannot be considered anything other than a risk, and was considered a power arm. Not at all "safe" taking a college hitter as a starting pitcher, I would think.

Malholm is working out just fine, if you ask me.


JVB was picked in 2001. Littlefield was hired in 2001 but after the draft, I believe? Either way, 2002 was the first draft where he had time on the job to evaluate the talent and make HIS pick.

And the Parrot, as always, is spot on. There were better HS arms that were bigger risks with bigger upside. However, I seem to remember hearing in the weeks leading up to the draft that Upton and Bullington would go 1-2, one way or the other. Maybe that was just Bucco-propaganda though (or my failing memory).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 1920
BBF wrote:
I seem to remember hearing in the weeks leading up to the draft that Upton and Bullington would go 1-2, one way or the other. Maybe that was just Bucco-propaganda though (or my failing memory).


You may be right. Way to long ago for me to remember! I guess my point on this issue is that(and ZM maybe I shouldn't have used the term risk) surely with a gaggle full of scouts on staff, a GM, assistants to the assistants, that someone(and pick any year you want) would have said, "Hey if we are taking a pitcher why don't we take a shot at a guy who can actually throw hard. Those guys usually seem to have bright futures." Instead we get guys who our own illustrious ex-GM admitted at press conferences would be a number 3 type guy, or a bullpen type guy.

Typing this stuff about DL makes me think of the other "strategic moves" he made that dug the hole even deeper for the Pirates and it makes me want to put my head through the computer screen!!! Ugh!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 3945
Location: Zelienople, PA
Well, I believe JvB was a Mickey White project, no? Most of the talent that is here now, Doumit, McLouth, Snell etc, where his picks right?

When I think of DL, that is what first comes to mind. Why in the world did you fire Mickey White?

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Stupid move by the Bucs.
In a couple years he will be a 10-15 game winner with somebody else.
It was way too early to give up on him and its not like we really have some next big thing pitcher coming through our minor league system.
After 9-1 today and the release of Bullington i wouldn't be susprised to see Alot of our team get traded.
We have some of the players at teams in the AL will want to close up their divisions.
We are just the minor leagues for the teams that want to get in the race at the mid-season point.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:51 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Colin21 wrote:
In a couple years he will be a 10-15 game winner with somebody else.


I'm saving that quote. Best laugh I've had in years. If Bullington wins 15 games in a season, I'll walk coast to coast in a speedo.

Or, did you mean he might have 10-15 CAREER wins?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
10-15 wins isn't really lighting the league on fire.
You can have 10-15 wins and still have 10-15 losses.
I see him as that kind of pitcher.
He will win as many as he loses.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7107
He'll win 15 too bad it will be one of those slow pitch softball leagues with kegs at each base!!!

He was never supposed to be anything more than a #3 guy anyway and management showed no confidence in him from the pen and now showed no confidence in him at AAA (where he wasn't throwing that well either)...

Van Benschoten needs to be ready to make the same exit soon too, if he doesnt turn it around...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
I'm not so sure Bullington will get 10-15 starts, let alone 10-15 wins.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
That is true.
He will more than likey spend the rest of his career in double or triple A but i do think if he was given a chance he could have done just as well as anybody on our team this year besides Duke.
Duke was always better than Bullington but i don't really think we have any pitchers that are much better than him.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:51 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Colin21 wrote:
That is true.
He will more than likey spend the rest of his career in double or triple A but i do think if he was given a chance he could have done just as well as anybody on our team this year besides Duke.
Duke was always better than Bullington but i don't really think we have any pitchers that are much better than him.


Oh yes. Bullington is much better than Snell. Mainly because he is taller. :roll:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 3945
Location: Zelienople, PA
See BBF, you're learning how to be Pirates talent scout! :twisted:

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Cut Bullington
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
I don't think snell is every going to be really good.
Yeah he pitched a no-hitter in the minors , but how long on we going to wait on him to do something good this year before he's down in triple A with gorzo.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], val and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits