Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 7/2/08 Pirates @ Reds
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:18 pm 

I'm watching the Rays and Red Sox, and seeing the excitement in Tampa Bay....if only the Pirates could do what the Rays have done, PNC would be jumping. Go Bucs! Nice win tonight!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:57 pm 

Good win and this very well could have been a Pirates sweep if not for the Capps meltdown to blow the save Monday. The bullpen, notably Denny Bautista and continued good pitching by Grabow and Yates got the job done after a downright atrocious performance by JVB, as expected (well, at least I did). The bats continued to pour on by the usuals (Bay, Nady, Doumit) and notably by LaRoche who has had a monster series in Cincinnati, let's just hope his streak continues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:03 am 

bucco boy wrote:
As I watch JVB leave, I wonder if he would have been a legit MLB hitter.

And why couldn't the Pirates pull an Ankiel and at least give it a try. Seriously, what do they have to lose.

I just said that to someone today. As his struggles on the mound have piled up I feel more and more sorry for him because EVERYBODY else in MLB was looking at him as a hitter not a pitcher. Doesn't mean he would have made it but it always makes me wonder. The guy has done everything asked of him as far as putting in his work; he simply isn't going to cut it as a MLB pitcher.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:47 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

PirateParrot wrote:

I just said that to someone today. As his struggles on the mound have piled up I feel more and more sorry for him because EVERYBODY else in MLB was looking at him as a hitter not a pitcher..

Sorry Parrot, Snopes alert. This simply is not true, and JvB and his agent both pointed it out in an interview a couple years ago. At least 50% or more of the teams told him that he would be drafted as a pitcher.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:03 am 

bucco boy wrote:

And why couldn't the Pirates pull an Ankiel and at least give it a try. Seriously, what do they have to lose.

I dont think he could swing effectively, doesnt he have some sort of arthritis in his non-pitching shoulder?

At one point wasn't both shoulders operated on within a few weeks of each other?

Its time to donate him to sports science

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 am 

BBF wrote:
Actually, seeing Rivas batting second again reminded me of what Charlie had written over at Bucs Dugout after last night's game. It struck me as funny, so I'll share it.

Quote:
Do you like it when the Pirates score runs? Games like these can make you wonder whether John Russell does. It appeared the third base umpire tonight wanted the Pirates to score more than Russell did. (At least the ump called Ryan Doumit safe on a play in which he appeared to be out.) On your way home after a game like this one, you may have found yourself wondering whether Russell actively dislikes runs or is merely ambivalent toward them. If someone gave Russell some runs for his birthday, you might think, would he take them and use them, even though he would've preferred, say, a shower radio? If Russell were at a restaurant and the waiter brought a big plate of runs he hadn't ordered, would he send them back because he ordered the shrimp? Tough questions!

Yeah, given the Pirates' run production this year, it is eminently clear that Russell is purposefully sabotaging the lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:35 am 

No. 9 wrote:
BBF wrote:
Actually, seeing Rivas batting second again reminded me of what Charlie had written over at Bucs Dugout after last night's game. It struck me as funny, so I'll share it.

Quote:
Do you like it when the Pirates score runs? Games like these can make you wonder whether John Russell does. It appeared the third base umpire tonight wanted the Pirates to score more than Russell did. (At least the ump called Ryan Doumit safe on a play in which he appeared to be out.) On your way home after a game like this one, you may have found yourself wondering whether Russell actively dislikes runs or is merely ambivalent toward them. If someone gave Russell some runs for his birthday, you might think, would he take them and use them, even though he would've preferred, say, a shower radio? If Russell were at a restaurant and the waiter brought a big plate of runs he hadn't ordered, would he send them back because he ordered the shrimp? Tough questions!

Yeah, given the Pirates' run production this year, it is eminently clear that Russell is purposefully sabotaging the lineup.

By seeing Russel bat punch-and-judy players like Rivas, Sanchez, and Jack at the top of the order, one could be easily lead to that conclusion. One could plausibly say that the Bucs are scoring runs in spite of Russell.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

You don't think they would score MORE runs if they had guys with higher OBP's on base in front of the 3-4-5 hitters? I would argue we are scoring runs DESPITE Russell's lineup, not BECAUSE of it. We are scoring runs because Bay, Nady, and Doumit have been hitting the snot out of the ball (as was Nate, before this cool spell) whereas in years past Bay slumped and Doumit and Nate were on the bench.

Having said all of that, it's a bit of a tangent because as I have said in the past, the offense isn't what's holding this team back. Still fun to debate though. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:23 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

I believe I remember reading a quote from Van B in which he said that his shoulder surgery robbed him of his power at the plate.

That aside, he's a lot older than Ankiel was when he made his switch. I think it would be a waste of time. I'd rather see him moved to the bullpen. Some of the most unlikely pitchers have salvaged a career just by moving to relief.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 am 
sisyphus wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

I believe I remember reading a quote from Van B in which he said that his shoulder surgery robbed him of his power at the plate.

That aside, he's a lot older than Ankiel was when he made his switch. I think it would be a waste of time. I'd rather see him moved to the bullpen. Some of the most unlikely pitchers have salvaged a career just by moving to relief.

The bullpen is his ONLY chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:34 am 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

The bullpen is his ONLY chance.

No, selling insurance or going back to his hometown and coaching the local high school baseball team are choices he needs to consider too

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...