Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'd show Huntington the door for this guy...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Boston is not a shaky closer away from the World Series.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm 

Good points on both sides of this. Trades have to be analyzed on a trade by trade basis...

1. What was the team's reason for the trade?
2. Is it a long term goal or a short term goal?
3. Is the team going for it all THIS YEAR?
4. Big market team or small market team?
5. Deep farm system or weak farm system?

In all honesty I don't think the Hanrahan deal was made for a World Series or bust reason. First, if Hammer pitches well Boston has the money to sign him to a longer term contract at some point. Second, I don't think the Red Sox are at all concerned about losing any of the players they gave up. They felt Hanrahan was worth the gamble and they probably feel they gave up very little, if anything. They also probably feel they got the better utility infielder back in return.

I tend to agree with them, and will be thrilled to come here and say I was wrong at some point this season. I hope Melancon turns in to a Grilli-like set up guy(ironically for Grilli) and Sands turns in to a 25 HR guy. But I don't think that is how Boston sees this trade. I think they are taking a chance on a guy who was dominant two years ago and didn't give up anything to get him.

I, for one, long for the day when the Pirates are in a position to consider an overpay in a trade to push them over the top!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:31 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hmmmm,

Might be time to consider this one again, since I see that JC calls me out.

And, yes, I'd say that more than being two years behind Walt, he's pretty much caught up now, and may be the team MVP.

Walt never had to build a team so bereft of talent in his career.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
Hmmmm,

Might be time to consider this one again, since I see that JC calls me out.

And, yes, I'd say that more than being two years behind Walt, he's pretty much caught up now, and may be the team MVP.

Walt never had to build a team so bereft of talent in his career.

ZM

This thread will never die!

:lol:

While I'm certainly pleased with the Pirates' 2013 season thus far, I'd like to caution everyone. As a great man once said: "Let's not all start sucking each other's d*cks yet. This ain't over."

If the Pirates qualify for the "word that rhymes with 'tradeoffs'" this year, then I'll gleefully rescind my request for Neal Huntington's severed head, declare him King for a Day in Pittsburgh, and support granting him a long-term extension as General Manager of the PBC. But first, I want to see some October baseball...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
I like how you leave out Mike Leake who is the perhaps the 2nd best pitcher to come out of the draft, and has had a huge impact on the Reds.

Here is a prediction that just about every other baseball fan has proffered regarding Leake:

His peripherals do not bode well for continued success. He has a high WHIP, a low K rate, and is on pace to see his ERA climb. Pitchers who walk guys and give up a lot of hits, and who do not fan many batters, are dancing between the raindrops and are likely to experience problems.

That may explain why Leake has won just 1 of list last 7 starts, and why his ERA in June is 4.24.

Hey! Here's a rare instance where I get to call out Bucfan! Yay!

Mike Leake has developed into a very, very good pitcher.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30465/mike-leake

Check that out. He's posted a 2.52 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 67 Ks to 21 BBs, and a 2.6 WAR so far in 2013. Quality, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Check that out. He's posted a 2.52 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 67 Ks to 21 BBs, and a 2.6 WAR so far in 2013. Quality, eh?

No doubt, wrong on Leake this year. I have noticed that his velocity is much better than what I saw from him last year and the year prior. He is dealing at 92-93 mph.

He is a much better pitcher than I anticipated, in no small part to his increased velocity and increasing K rate as a result. I think that Leake is becoming a poster child for letting young pitchers develop in the minor leagues, since now the Reds will see him become pretty darn expensive right as arbitration kicks in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

No doubt, wrong on Leake this year. I have noticed that his velocity is much better than what I saw from him last year and the year prior. He is dealing at 92-93 mph.

He is a much better pitcher than I anticipated, in no small part to his increased velocity and increasing K rate as a result. I think that Leake is becoming a poster child for letting young pitchers develop in the minor leagues, since now the Reds will see him become pretty darn expensive right as arbitration kicks in.

Man, we get along so well now. Read back through this thread and remember when we went at it. Apparently, when the Pirates are winning, you and I are best friends!

As for the minor league/major league thing, you could also argue that the Reds are getting the best innings from Leake by using his live young arm in the majors. We don't know. But if he keeps pitching for Dusty Baker, we can probably predict a few DL stints and a trip to Dr. Andrews at some point in his future...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:27 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Man, we get along so well now. Read back through this thread and remember when we went at it. Apparently, when the Pirates are winning, you and I are best friends!

As for the minor league/major league thing, you could also argue that the Reds are getting the best innings from Leake by using his live young arm in the majors. We don't know. But if he keeps pitching for Dusty Baker, we can probably predict a few DL stints and a trip to Dr. Andrews at some point in his future...

Well, forum chemistry is like clubhouse chemistry: it's always better when you're winning. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:53 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Sorry, can't let this one pass.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Boston is not a shaky closer away from the World Series.

Nope, but apparently they may have been a good closer away from the World Series.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:35 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Sorry, can't let this one pass.

ZM

:mrgreen:

Today is such a great day.

If ever I were to be stuck in a 'Groundhog Day' situation, the 24 hours starting aroung 7 PM EST last night would not be a bad recurring reality.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:49 pm 

Well, I hereby proclaim, based on no power whatsoever, that Neal Huntington is "King for a Day" in the City of Pittsburgh. I also support granting him an extension as General Manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Well done, sir.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next