Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pirates still are not competitive enough for fans
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:32 am 

nad69dan wrote:
Take in considerance that BH is an ass...

When all else fails, reply with name calling.

Anyway, I was watching the Subway nightly sports call in show and Cook's article was mentioned with Coonley saying that Cook was misinformed. Cook simply replied back that there were no misquotes, that he(Cook)writes his opinions and stands by his opinion regardless if Nutting and Coonley dont like it. Its nothing new. Writers have ripped ownership/management and some fans rip the writers because of the negative articles about the Pirates. You perform as poor and as long as the Pirates have the negative articles are just a relfection of what has and continues to go on....a lousy losing team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:49 am 
How anyone can "complain about negative articles written about the Pirates" is beyond me. The team hasn't won more games than it lost since before today's high school juniors were born. Negative articles are more than reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:59 am 

I have no problem with some of the journalists in Pittsburgh writing articles like this to kill some time until Steelers Training Camp opens in 20 days!!!

But they need to realize regardless of wins and losses this team and organization have made some nice strides in the right direction in a short period of time, so pointing the pen at the Pirates because they arent drawing fans, is bogus...

They made some nice pickups off the waivers lists, made some modest trades that could be key in the up coming years, hired some front office people with plans set, they cut dead weight when they realized it wasnt going to work out...all the while doing this patchwork, while laying a new foundation

This would be a very different team if Snell and Gorzo were pitching like last season...

I understand 15 years of losing, but Connely and Huntington weren't here, Nutting wasn't incharge the entire time...blaming these guys for the wrongs of the Pirates will be like blaming the next President for what Bush did wrong...

The article was negative, and BH needed to get his jollies on with trying to piss people off on here...He can go to Hell

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:44 am 

nad69dan wrote:
I have no problem with some of the journalists in Pittsburgh writing articles like this to kill some time until Steelers Training Camp opens in 20 days!!!

But they need to realize regardless of wins and losses this team and organization have made some nice strides in the right direction in a short period of time, so pointing the pen at the Pirates because they arent drawing fans, is bogus...

They made some nice pickups off the waivers lists, made some modest trades that could be key in the up coming years, hired some front office people with plans set, they cut dead weight when they realized it wasnt going to work out...all the while doing this patchwork, while laying a new foundation

This would be a very different team if Snell and Gorzo were pitching like last season...

I understand 15 years of losing, but Connely and Huntington weren't here, Nutting wasn't incharge the entire time...blaming these guys for the wrongs of the Pirates will be like blaming the next President for what Bush did wrong...

The article was negative, and BH needed to get his jollies on with trying to piss people off on here...He can go to Hell

nad69dan is such a sweetheart
Cook was not blaming current mangement for not drawing fans...it was about the comments made as to why management seems content with comments with the progress or lack of it the team has made. I guess the article and me posting it here pissed nad69dan off. Truth hurts nad69dan. At least you didnt order me to go watch the Pirates
:D

Last edited by bullishhitter on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:45 am 

A response to Cook's article from yesterday's online chat...

Quote:
piratefan11: In today's PG, Ron Cook accuses you of settling for "mediocrity" by praising the team for playing hard despite losing and making excuses for poor attendance. Do you care to share your thoughts?

Coonelly: piratefan11, thank you for providing the forum in which to respond to this assertion by Mr. Cook in today's P-G. Again, Mr. Cook unfortunately did not find it newsworthy or appropriate to actually solicit my opinion on this very important topic. He instead selected two unrelated quotes from articles written by his colleague Mr. Kovacevic written months apart to reach his own conclusion as to our aspirations. Not surprisingly, given this type of journalism, he could not be more wrong. We have no interest in being average. We are not at all satisfied with the team's current standing in the NL Central nor with the team's performance to date. I did, correctly in my view, tell Mr. Kovacevic that we competed in every game that we played including the games against the best teams in the league. Competing night-in and night-out is what we are supposed to do. We will not be satisfied until we are competing for championships. Had Mr. Cook asked me whether I was satisfied with the level of our play, he would have had an opportunity to understand that we aspire much higher than he suggested in his column today.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:45 am 
nad69dan wrote:
But they need to realize regardless of wins and losses this team and organization have made some nice strides in the right direction in a short period of timel

I agree, but wins are the bottom line. Until they win, the strides don't mean much and criticism is more than reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:05 pm 

BBF wrote:

Quote:
piratefan11: In today's PG, Ron Cook accuses you of settling for "mediocrity" by praising the team for playing hard despite losing and making excuses for poor attendance. Do you care to share your thoughts?

Coonelly: piratefan11, thank you for providing the forum in which to respond to this assertion by Mr. Cook in today's P-G. Again, Mr. Cook unfortunately did not find it newsworthy or appropriate to actually solicit my opinion on this very important topic. He instead selected two unrelated quotes from articles written by his colleague Mr. Kovacevic written months apart to reach his own conclusion as to our aspirations. Not surprisingly, given this type of journalism, he could not be more wrong. We have no interest in being average. We are not at all satisfied with the team's current standing in the NL Central nor with the team's performance to date. I did, correctly in my view, tell Mr. Kovacevic that we competed in every game that we played including the games against the best teams in the league. Competing night-in and night-out is what we are supposed to do. We will not be satisfied until we are competing for championships. Had Mr. Cook asked me whether I was satisfied with the level of our play, he would have had an opportunity to understand that we aspire much higher than he suggested in his column today.

It appears the Pirates fans or lack of them have started to take ownerships words to heart and are holding "them" accountable. As to Cooks article. He is a sports columnist and not the Pirates beat writer. His post was written as such. Management should not make comments or half truths and then have to go back on them and expand upon them.
As to competing against the best teams night after night. I'm in the camp that says... Just because you are on the same field at the same time doesn't mean you are competing.
And last place or next to last still stinks regardless how you garnish it.
The fans or lack of them are speaking. There are alot more Bulls than you think!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:22 pm 

BBF wrote:

Quote:

Awesome that he stomped all over Ron Cook, who never answered my email to him(at least Smizik will respond).

I wish I was the one who was in that chat(Piratefan11), but I am just Piratefan13, but at least he and I would ask the same question.

A little trumpet blowing... I finally made the Q&A this morning... Although he only took part of what I said. Media!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:29 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
BBF wrote:
There are alot more Bulls than you think!

Damn thats a scary thought...

maybe they could post the same thing over and over again like you...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:46 pm 

You gotta walk before you run.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:25 pm 

I am going to hijack this thread a bit to talk about the changes the Pirates are implementing and what these changes mean for the team. The direction that the Pirates will be taking was shown, in part, by the last draft. The Pirates took two very premium players in the first 2 rounds. Signing those two is the next step.

Now, the Pirates will further show what direction they are heading with the trades this summer. I suspect that Nady and Marte are on their way out. If the Pirates get top-notch talent in return, and refuse to do a "dump," then that is further evidence that the club is heading in the right direction.

As Az noted, gotta walk before you run. The Pirates have some very valuable and difficult to obtain pieces of the puzzle (C and CF'er who can hit for average, with power, and produce runs while hitting high in the order; young left-handed starters). They have valuable players to trade (Nady and Marte are having good years). They have a GM who is finding players who help the club (Michaels, Yates, Bautista perhaps) for very little in exchange.

So for heaven's sake, give these guys time to put their team on the field. I, for one, am really pleased with the decisions this management group is making. Not a single Moskos-over-Wieters. (That decision will haunt this team for the next 15 years, during which time Wieters is pounding AL pitching . . . . .)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:42 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Pictures, pictures, pictures! You need pictures to make your points, not logic!

ZM :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:44 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Now, the Pirates will further show what direction they are heading with the trades this summer. I suspect that Nady and Marte are on their way out. If the Pirates get top-notch talent in return, and refuse to do a "dump," then that is further evidence that the club is heading in the right direction.

I'll go a step further and suggest that if they don't get a decent package offered for Marte, that I would expect to see them hold on to him, decline his option, offer him arbitration, and pick up two draft picks for him. That, I would argue, could also be seen as heading in the right direction, as opposed to dumping him for a major-league ready AAAA guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:46 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Pictures, pictures, pictures! You need pictures to make your points, not logic!

ZM :lol:

Bucfan ponders Pirates' future. Police ask Bucfan what happened to his clothes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:54 pm 

IMO, BBF's option is more reasonable for dealing with Marte, plus it gives the team time to use him the rest of this season.

If Nady is always the one mentioned for trade, I don't understand you guys. Yes, his agent will seek a big contract but what do you think will happen with Bay?

Since some of you think he's so much better than Nady, Why not trade him to get more? Surely you don't think he will be around after his contract expiers, do you?

Again IMO, Bay should be shopped as well as Nady. Let the buyer decide which player they want or need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:22 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
Again IMO, Bay should be shopped as well as Nady. Let the buyer decide which player they want or need.

I agree bro. Shop both but trade one, whoever you get a better offer for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:00 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
There is one major reason they are next to last in attendance. People are sick and tired of paying and watching a lousy team. The luster of the new park is gone....the Allstar ticket package gone....the only time the team draws well is because of a promotion or a team like the Yankees are there. In otherwords, the team itself is not a draw.

BS.

Three Rivers Stadium sold out when the Steelers were terrible. Your argument about not wanting to watch a bad team holds no water.

BWHAHAHAHAAAHAAA.......the Steelers have never been as bad as the Pirates have been....even in the 40s, 50s & 60s

Yeah, that 1-13 team was really quite good.

You're talking out of your nether regions again, Bullish. The Steelers played in one playoff game from 1933 through 1972, before they started their steroid fueled '70s run. ONE PLAYOFF GAME IN FORTY YEARS.

More to the point, the Steelers record as a franchise finally reached the .500 mark in 2002. It only took them 70 years, but they finally did it.

Quote:
You point holds no water. Only for a couple of years in the 80s did the Steelers suck...not the longest of any major pro sports team. If the would Steelers suck for as long as the Pirates have they will not have a waiting list for season tickets.

Wanna bet?

Quote:
Pgh has never been a town that supported baseball. During the 70s, the best era for Pgh baseball, the attendance was only average per MLB

More ignorance of history. The best eras by far for Pittsburgh baseball were 1900-1913 and 1921-1938.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:54 am 

sisyphus

Sorry but the Steelers have never lost as many years in a row as the Pirates have. Early 1900s? You may be right but I dont think baseball was very popular at that time. What are your wager terms and amounts?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:00 am 

We'll never know if 15 straight losing seasons will cause people to give up on the Steelers, because the Steelers will never allow it to happen.

I love hearing people rationalize...

"Its the economy"---The economy is bad in the rest of the country too, actually gas (and other prices) are higher in other areas and they still go see their baseball teams. Actually, MLB could break its own record again this year.

"Pittsburgh is only a football town, the Steelers sucked in the 1980's and people didn't stop going." This is the most laughable thing I ever read. Comparing the 1980's Steelers to today's Pirates is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Sure, they had a few bad years in there, but they also made it to the 1984 AFC Championship game, the 1989 playoffs and had a few other 9-7 seasons in there as well. Good fans understand that there may be a few bad years between winners, and they stick through it. Pittsburgh isn't the best sports town, but it is a good one. Sure the Pen's attendance dropped a little in those recent lean years, but that was coupled with an impending lockout and constant rumors the team was moving. I admire the fans for filling 11,000 seats every night in 2003-2004.

If the Pirates put a respectable team on the field that showed a real chance of improving, people would show up. I know I'd go more than I do (I still check out a couple games a year---I'm a bit of an enabler---sue me). Toying with .500 only to play like crap every time you get within 2 games is not the cure to what this franchise has done to itself. It is getting to the point where every team in baseball has put together a decent run in this nearly two decade stretch the Pirates have wallowed in. Even teams that always seem to stink, like Tampa, Milwaukee and Detroit have given their fans reason to cheer.

To be honest, I can't believe there are actually articles on the bad attendance. Umpteen loosing seasons=fans disinterested. 'nuff said.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:22 am 

Jeremy wrote:

BS.

Three Rivers Stadium sold out when the Steelers were terrible. Your argument about not wanting to watch a bad team holds no water.

I just glanced at the Steelers season-by-season records. They never had more than two consecutive losing seasons while playing at Three Rivers. And the longest stretch without making the playoffs was four years.

Not quite the same as the Buccos current streak

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next