Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bucs disappoint again in interleague play
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 pm 

5-9, with one postponed game to be made up. Exactly the same record as last year. Or, rather, it will be if they lose the makeup game to the Yankees. And they're back to within one game of last place.

I know, I know: It's not possible to hit 5-run homers, and all that's wrong with this team can't be fixed in a couple of months.

It's just that I was one of those who had higher hopes for this year's interleague schedule. The Baltimore series could have -- should have -- been a sweep. Toronto could have been a sweep, too. And they could have won twice vs. Tampa Bay.

So we arrive at the midpoint of the season with a 38-43 record. At least it's marginally better than last year, when they were 35-46. And with the next 3 vs. Cincinnati they have a chance to build a bit of momentum heading into the All-Star break. If they can beat Edinson Volquez 1-0 again . . .

Post subject: Re: Bucs disappoint again in interleague play
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:17 pm 

Honestly Bob, I wasn't disappointed with their Interleague play this season because of how good the competition was. Only Toronto was below .500 and we took 2 of 3 from them. The Baltimore series was disappointing because we probably should have won all three.

Consider where are pitching is, I will take 5 games under .500 at this point with a very favorable schedule coming up.

It has been worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:25 pm 

Nor was I disappointed, to be honest. I predicted a 6-9 record (still possible if they beat the Yanks), and in some ways they exceeded expectations. You are right, though, in saying we coulda shoulda woulda won a few more games, so relative to what could have been, yeah, it was disappointing. Relative to expectations, I think there isn't much to be disappointed about.

Now July is a different story. Our schedule is extremely weak...if we can't break the .500 line in July, then we have to be sellers at the deadline. If we can't beat up on Colorado, San Diego, Houston, and Cincy, we certainly can't play .500 in August and September.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:19 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Honestly Bob, I wasn't disappointed with their Interleague play this season because of how good the competition was. Only Toronto was below .500 and we took 2 of 3 from them. The Baltimore series was disappointing because we probably should have won all three.

Consider where are pitching is, I will take 5 games under .500 at this point with a very favorable schedule coming up.

It has been worse.

Agreed on all accounts. I just hope we can get off to a quick start with the favorable schedule. I do not want to see anything remotely similar to how first two games of the last series here were. I hate that we have to face both Harang and Volquez. Regardless, I'll be there tomorrow and possibly Tuesday.