Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
bullishhitter wrote:
Argentum wrote:
A steady rain greatly diminishes the hitters ability to see the ball. Considering the split second it takes to react to a pitch, things could become extremely dangerous for the hitter on a 95 mph heater.

Not true..you can see finein a steady rain....only if its a deluge will vision be impaired

And I'm sure you speak from experience when you say this. :roll:

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:43 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6281
This thread is so wacked I had to comment. They already play in the rain. When the rain comes down hard or they know ahead that it will they use common sense and preserve the infield and other dirt areas to possibly facilitate a resumption in play. Playing in the mud or with standing water would reduce the game to a vaudeville sketch. As Dick Enberg would say.....Oh My!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Az Bucco fan wrote:
This thread is so wacked I had to comment. They already play in the rain. When the rain comes down hard or they know ahead that it will they use common sense and preserve the infield and other dirt areas to possibly facilitate a resumption in play. Playing in the mud or with standing water would reduce the game to a vaudeville sketch. As Dick Enberg would say.....Oh My!!


AZ, I had a HS ump once tell me that his rule of thumb was to play until it was raining too hard that you could not turn your face upward and look directly up. When it gets to that point, high fly balls become hazardous to players (and/or spectators). And it is quite difficult to look directly up, even in a moderate rain.

As for last nights game, give me a break. I don't know where everyone else lives, but here within city limits it was pouring for much of the night (though there were breaks of 15 minutes every so often) with a lot of lightning to boot. Suggesting they should have played is, quite frankly, idiotic.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Image
"I don't think the heavy stuff will come down for a while."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
BBF wrote:
As for last nights game, give me a break. I don't know where everyone else lives, but here within city limits it was pouring for much of the night (though there were breaks of 15 minutes every so often) with a lot of lightning to boot. Suggesting they should have played is, quite frankly, idiotic.

We should expect as much from our pal BH.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
He doesnt follow baseball because the owner sucks and they're a bunch of pansies cuz they wont play in the rain...BH, go find another sport to waste your time on and get lost

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6281
I agree BBF. As for Arg? LOLOL!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
I've played in both light rain and in downpours. I once had a game stopped because a ball hit to me at second actually sucked in to the infield and I had to dig the ball out of the ground.

Baseball is played in a light rain all the time.

Besides, anyone who's played the game knows that baseball players are just as tough as football players. I've seen baseball players suck it up and play through injuries that would sideline any other athlete.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
So why did my reply to this get deleted.I didn't say anything wrong.There was no reason what so ever to delete it.I'm about to leave this board if this keeps happening to me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
Jeremy wrote:
I've played in both light rain and in downpours. I once had a game stopped because a ball hit to me at second actually sucked in to the infield and I had to dig the ball out of the ground.

Baseball is played in a light rain all the time.

Besides, anyone who's played the game knows that baseball players are just as tough as football players. I've seen baseball players suck it up and play through injuries that would sideline any other athlete.


Baseball players as tough as football? I'm sure there are some but a small percentage. I played both.....no F--ing way in general are baseball players tougher than football. Funny thing is that I blew out my shoulder in high school as a pitcher and cant throw a ball of any kind with any velocity without it hurting.

If it is not lightning or your vision is not impaired...the games should be played. Major League stadiums are not cow pastures.....thats why grounds crews are paid to clear off standing water

Nobody wants to address the other point about erasing stats and starting over a game that does not go 4.5 innings

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
bullishhitter wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
I've played in both light rain and in downpours. I once had a game stopped because a ball hit to me at second actually sucked in to the infield and I had to dig the ball out of the ground.

Baseball is played in a light rain all the time.

Besides, anyone who's played the game knows that baseball players are just as tough as football players. I've seen baseball players suck it up and play through injuries that would sideline any other athlete.


Baseball players as tough as football? I'm sure there are some but a small percentage. I played both.....no F--ing way in general are baseball players tougher than football. Funny thing is that I blew out my shoulder in high school as a pitcher and cant throw a ball of any kind with any velocity without it hurting.

If it is not lightning or your vision is not impaired...the games should be played. Major League stadiums are not cow pastures.....thats why grounds crews are paid to clear off standing water

Nobody wants to address the other point about erasing stats and starting over a game that does not go 4.5 innings


No one wants to address it because it's a stupid idea.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
Jeremy wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Nobody wants to address the other point about erasing stats and starting over a game that does not go 4.5 innings


No one wants to address it because it's a stupid idea.


Name another sport that starts a game and does not continue it from the time it was stopped or suspended? It is baseball that has a stupid rule

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
bullishhitter wrote:
Baseball is the only outdoor sport that will postpone a game because of rain. Well maybe golf but nobody cares unless Tiger is playing Every other major sport that is played outside is played in the rain. Only lightning should delay or stop a game. Dont feed me the BS about the playing conditions being dangerous. No different than any other outdoor sport. Sure the mud and wetness will alter what would be ideal playing conditions. Bottom line....dont treat baseball like a pansy game.
...and another thing....why dont the stats count? Could you imagine if a milestone hitting streak or HR record is reached, only to be erased because of the stupid rule to start a game that was played all over again. You mean it did not happen, the partial game was a mirage? WTF?
If you are going to stop a game, whenever it is played again, all stats of that game should count and the game should resume right where it was stopped. I bet alot of people came in from out of town to see the Yanks and were cheated out of the game they paid to see. Think they are going to be able to make plans to fly in again whenever the game is going to be replayed?

Play in the rain

Get back to me with that idea when those pussy football players take the field without armor and start using a ball that can kill you.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
Elmer wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Baseball is the only outdoor sport that will postpone a game because of rain. Well maybe golf but nobody cares unless Tiger is playing Every other major sport that is played outside is played in the rain. Only lightning should delay or stop a game. Dont feed me the BS about the playing conditions being dangerous. No different than any other outdoor sport. Sure the mud and wetness will alter what would be ideal playing conditions. Bottom line....dont treat baseball like a pansy game.
...and another thing....why dont the stats count? Could you imagine if a milestone hitting streak or HR record is reached, only to be erased because of the stupid rule to start a game that was played all over again. You mean it did not happen, the partial game was a mirage? WTF?
If you are going to stop a game, whenever it is played again, all stats of that game should count and the game should resume right where it was stopped. I bet alot of people came in from out of town to see the Yanks and were cheated out of the game they paid to see. Think they are going to be able to make plans to fly in again whenever the game is going to be replayed?

Play in the rain


I've long thought the same thing, BH. Play in the rain, but not in lightning. So long as both teams are playing in same conditions, it is fair.

Similarly, I get pissed when golfers start crying about someone being loud when they're trying to make a swing. So a baseball player has to try to hit a ball moving 95 mph and moving all over the place while people yell and scream and that's OK. BUt a golfer needs total silence to hit a ball that is sitting still?

But in both of these cases, the sports are the way they are and that won't change, so I don't let it get to me.

Perhaps you'd care to take an at bat with Tyler Yates and his 97mph fastball on the mound hurling a wet baseball. I wouldn't.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
bullishhitter wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
... baseball is totally different because of the demand of throwing the ball that gets heavy after the rain soaks into it and players swinging wooden bats with bad grips that can cause injury to spectators...

Football can change their game plan to go along with the weather, like running the ball more, short passes and dumps to running backs...You can't do that in baseball....

A football gets soaked too...gets heavy..hard to throw, catch, hold on to....same for both teams. As per bats...you gotta be kidding....you could stand under a waterfall and swing a bat and you are not going to let it fly out of your hands.....most times a bat flys into the stands when it is broke or the batter is fooled by the pitch

And we all know how many serious and fatal injuries people have suffered from thrown footballs.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rain rain wouldn't go away
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
sisyphus wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Baseball is the only outdoor sport that will postpone a game because of rain. Well maybe golf but nobody cares unless Tiger is playing Every other major sport that is played outside is played in the rain. Only lightning should delay or stop a game. Dont feed me the BS about the playing conditions being dangerous. No different than any other outdoor sport. Sure the mud and wetness will alter what would be ideal playing conditions. Bottom line....dont treat baseball like a pansy game.
...and another thing....why dont the stats count? Could you imagine if a milestone hitting streak or HR record is reached, only to be erased because of the stupid rule to start a game that was played all over again. You mean it did not happen, the partial game was a mirage? WTF?
If you are going to stop a game, whenever it is played again, all stats of that game should count and the game should resume right where it was stopped. I bet alot of people came in from out of town to see the Yanks and were cheated out of the game they paid to see. Think they are going to be able to make plans to fly in again whenever the game is going to be replayed?

Play in the rain

Get back to me with that idea when those pussy football players take the field without armor and start using a ball that can kill you.


Don't try and talk sense to BH. He hates baseball.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits