Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleveland Indians..
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:01 am 

Man, the Indians made Barry Zito look like an All Star tonight. How can a team that was so good last season be so terrible now? A sports talk show host here just now said the Indians could well turn into the next Royals/Pirates. They have nothing in the minors.. no third baseman, one starting pitcher/prospect.. they're gonna lose Sabathia and another starting pitcher to free agency. Basically they have Sizemore and Victor Martinez and no other real quality position players. Fans are calling in and complaining that GM Shapiro should've made the Jason Bay deal. The current owner is not commited to winning at all.

Post subject: Re: Cleveland Indians..
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:16 am 

Ollie wrote:
Fans are calling in and complaining that GM Shapiro should've made the Jason Bay deal. The current owner is not commited to winning at all.

Good, I hope the fans keep the pressure on, maybe NH can take avantage of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:06 pm 

Ollie wrote:
Man, the Indians made Barry Zito look like an All Star tonight.

Yeah, I was thinking, if it was against us, he would have been the first Cy Young winning STBHOFer.

They were in the same situation two years ago though... Pythagoras rates them as a .500 team (but nothing more). Still, it doesn't like much of a fluke. What happened to Travis Hafner? Is he just not good anymore? Do they need to insert Sabathia as the DH?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:07 pm 

Hafner is on the DL for his sore right shoulder.. that's the excuse anyway. It's weird how he lost all confidence at the plate once he signed his big contract.

Man, I'd love it if they'd pinch hit C.C. every night. His talent is going to waste. Last night they used Andy Marte as a pinch hitter. He stinks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:10 am 

Bukanier wrote:
Ollie wrote:
Man, the Indians made Barry Zito look like an All Star tonight.

Yeah, I was thinking, if it was against us, he would have been the first Cy Young winning STBHOFer.

They were in the same situation two years ago though... Pythagoras rates them as a .500 team (but nothing more). Still, it doesn't like much of a fluke. What happened to Travis Hafner? Is he just not good anymore? Do they need to insert Sabathia as the DH?

I think age and lack of athleticism caught up to Hafner. Hafner has always been a guy with old-player skills, such as patience and power, while lacking the athleticism to play a defensive position or run well. History has shown that players like him do not age well. He's still patient as ever, but I'd bet that his bat speed has slowed considerable, based on his current low batting average and waning power. Players like Hafner are great to have early on in their careers, but they are usually bad bets to sink a lot of money into in the long term.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:25 pm 

Ollie wrote:
How can a team that was so good last season be so terrible now?

They're only a game above .500 at home. In a year when everyone stinks on the road, you need to be a good home team or you're going to get buried.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 pm 

Tonight on Cleveland sports radio almost every fan is saying that he will not attend another Indians game. Tribe fans see what their owner is all about. In a radio interview today Larry Dolan said that being competitive was the most important thing to him. Fans are now hoping Dolan will someday sell the team but he's said more than once that he will give the Indians to his children in the future.

The Indians payroll is one third what it was when Dolan bought the team in 2000. Supposedly they lost $20 million the following year when they had a payroll of $96 million. Their current payroll is around $70 million.

A few years back Dolan blamed George Steinbrenner for the woes of baseball, criticizing the Yankees owner for spending revenue that other teams don't have. I remember him saying that fans need to come to Tribe games during the lean years. The lean years are coming again and Clevelanders can now expect Grady Sizemore to leave the team in three yaesrs. I am not an Indians fan but I am so upset by his interview today. Major League Baseball sucks.

I will be at Progressive Field Saturday night, though we're technically not enabling as we have free tickets..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:11 am 

Ollie wrote:
The Indians payroll is one third what it was when Dolan bought the team in 2000. Supposedly they lost $20 million the following year when they had a payroll of $96 million. Their current payroll is around $70 million.

Math was never my strong suit, but doesn't that suggest their payroll was, when Dolan bought them, $210 million? I think there's a mistake in there somewhere... :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:42 am 

BBF wrote:
Ollie wrote:

Math was never my strong suit, but doesn't that suggest their payroll was, when Dolan bought them, $210 million? I think there's a mistake in there somewhere... :?

http://www.baseballchronology.com/Baseball/Teams/Cleveland/Seasons/2000.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:22 am 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:
Ollie wrote:

http://www.baseballchronology.com/Baseball/Teams/Cleveland/Seasons/2000.asp

So, if I am reading that correctly, their payroll was $78 mil, and now it is around $70 mil. Certainly, with inflation, that is a drop in payroll, but hardly a drastic slashing. Perhaps when they raised payroll into the mid-90 mil range and lost money, they found out what they COULD spend, and are going to stick to it. Sounds like a smart model for success in the long run.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:40 am 
Ollie wrote:
The current owner is not commited to winning at all.

Sounds familiar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:44 pm 

$78 million in 2000? On the radio they were saying that it's now one third what it was in 2000. In any case no star player is going to stay here in Cleveland.