Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going to Red Sox/Yankees...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:57 pm 

Hey guys...

Even thru all the losing seasons i've been a pirates fan. But i recently won a trip up to boston this july to see the red sox play the yankees. I get to meet the red sox also after the game. I hate both teams but its a great series and a great time to see Fenway. But my question....what do i wear? Should i just not wear any teams gear or something bucos?

Post subject: Re: Going to Red Sox/Yankees...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:59 pm 

My suggestion would be to wear a Bucs cap and buy yourself a Dirt Dogs t-shirt.

It would be a nice momento of the trip.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:01 pm 

Congrats.

I'd have a t-shirt made that says, "The Yankees Suck" on the front, "But the Red Sox swa!!0w" on the back. You'll make tons of new friends!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:12 pm 

I would wear a Bucs cap but nothing else. Enjoy the game, soak up the "playoffish" atmosphere and bring it back down to Pittsburgh. Also enjoy the city of Boston, take the "T" (train) and explore a little, its a cool city to visit. One warning, don't get to caught up in baseball discussions with a Red Sox fan, they didn't win a WS in 95 some years all of a sudden they are the "greatest" team in history? Your arguments will fall on deaf, stubborn heads, buy a pint and tell them be quiet. Also, they don't like to be reminded that the Yankees have won 26 WS championships to their 7... don't bring that up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:15 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
I would wear a Bucs cap but nothing else.

Now that is just ASKING for trouble. For the love of God, put on some pants.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:18 pm 

BBF wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Yep, that beats my suggestion by a mile!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:32 pm 

Nate, I hope you're an average-size guy who doesn't need much leg room. Otherwise, unless you'll be sitting in the 600 Club (glassed-in luxury boxes above home plate), you may find yourself feeling as though you were packed in a tin of sardines. Fenway is old and cramped, although for some reason a lot of people seem to find that charming. Also, try not to let the constant traffic to the beer stand bother you. You may miss a great play because your view is blocked, but, oh, well.

As for what to wear, I've yet to see or hear of any abuse being dealt out to fans in Yankee caps and shirts. Despite the intense rivalry, people here basically are pretty accepting. Maybe because the Red Sox have had the edge over the Yankees for the past few years. Or maybe it's because the tickets are so expensive that low-paid loudmouths can't afford them anymore.

At most, you'd probably get the occasional "Yankees suck!" Wear Pirate gear, however, and you may be laughed at.

Seriously, though, you should have a good time. The atmosphere will be highly charged even before the game starts. If it turns out to be close, so much the better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:33 pm 

BBF wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

It is Boston. Pants can be optional. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:40 pm 

BBF wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:02 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Nate, I hope you're an average-size guy who doesn't need much leg room. Otherwise, unless you'll be sitting in the 600 Club (glassed-in luxury boxes above home plate), you may find yourself feeling as though you were packed in a tin of sardines. Fenway is old and cramped, although for some reason a lot of people seem to find that charming. Also, try not to let the constant traffic to the beer stand bother you. You may miss a great play because your view is blocked, but, oh, well.

As for what to wear, I've yet to see or hear of any abuse being dealt out to fans in Yankee caps and shirts. Despite the intense rivalry, people here basically are pretty accepting. Maybe because the Red Sox have had the edge over the Yankees for the past few years. Or maybe it's because the tickets are so expensive that low-paid loudmouths can't afford them anymore.

At most, you'd probably get the occasional "Yankees suck!" Wear Pirate gear, however, and you may be laughed at.

Seriously, though, you should have a good time. The atmosphere will be highly charged even before the game starts. If it turns out to be close, so much the better.

yea we are in the luxury boxes. i'm excited. I appreciate everyones thoughts. I think i'm just gonna go with my bucos hat and normal clothes. This should be interesting tryin to find my way around boston. I've never been there before and i'm going by myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:44 pm 

A couple of other tips:

Even though you've won the trip, bring $$$ along -- lots of them. Boston is one of the most expensive markets in the country.

If you're coming by car, don't try driving to the game unless you're getting a limo ride. There's very little parking around Fenway. Take public transportation, i.e., the MBTA Green Line. The B, C, and D trains all stop at Kenmore Square, the getting-off point for Fenway. Then just follow the crowd. Return trains to downtown after the game will be plentiful. The fare each way is $1.70.

Do not take the E train; it branches off the main line and ends up nowhere near Fenway.

By all means, enjoy the seafood. Or, if you prefer Italian, ask around for advice on which restaurants in the North End to go to. Boston baked beans? Up to you. I don't drink alcohol, but I'm told the local Sam Adams beer is really good.

If time permits, take a Duck Tour of the city. It's in amphibious vehicles left over from World War II and will take you past all the best points of interest and end up as a boat ride in the Charles River. Tickets are pricey, but worth it. Best to buy in advance, though, because they usually sell out unless the weather is bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:40 pm 

Quote:
yea we are in the luxury boxes. i'm excited. I appreciate everyones thoughts. I think i'm just gonna go with my bucos hat and normal clothes. This should be interesting tryin to find my way around boston. I've never been there before and i'm going by myself.

Nate, you will have a blast finding your way around. Its very easy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 pm 

Nate, I was talking with a neighbor today who'd just been on a whale watch aboard the New England Aquarium's ship, Voyager III. It reminded me: I meant to mention that attraction to you earlier.

Should your schedule permit, I can't think of a better way to get the flavor of Boston's waterfront and check out some of nature's great wonders at the same time. They have to surface to breathe, so you're guaranteed to see them. There's no danger involved, and there's nothing quite like having the mist hit you when a huge whale breaches right beside the ship and sprays out its blowhole.

The trips take about 3 hours and are extremely popular, so you'd be advised to make a reservation. Or have the front desk people at your hotel do it for you.

If interested, just Google the New England Aquarium for more information.

Also, be sure to take a camera along if you go. You'll want to show off the pictures when you get back home.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:37 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
...there's nothing quite like having the mist hit you when a huge whale breaches right beside the ship and sprays out its blowhole.

Bob is quite right...