Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4553
Location: Pittsburgh
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2985977

C Johnny Bench
1B Wes Parker
2B Joe Morgan
SS Ozzie Smith
3B Brooks Robinson
OF Willie Mays
OF Roberto Clemente
OF Ken Griffey Jr.
P Greg Maddux

I might quibble over Griffey Jr. over a few guys, or Parker over Keith Hernandez (just off the top of my head), but why bother? Any all time gold glove team that doesn't include Bill Mazeroski is a farce. Not only is he the greatest defensive second baseman in history by a wide margin, you could make a case that he is the greatest defensive player in history at ANY position. Not as good as case as you could before Ozzie Smith came along, but still.

I also have a hard time believing that Craig Nettles wasn't even on the ballot. I would place him behind Robinson and maybe Schmidt, but he should have been a contender.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
It shouldn't suprise any of you guys who know me on this board and my support of Bill Mazeroski. What you don't know is my sheer distaste for Joe Morgan, and all that he stands for. For him to receive this honor in place of the greates defensive 2B to live is lunacy, fodder for conspiracy theorists everywhere. I just don't have much more to say... :x


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:40 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2985977

C Johnny Bench
1B Wes Parker
2B Joe Morgan
SS Ozzie Smith
3B Brooks Robinson
OF Willie Mays
OF Roberto Clemente
OF Ken Griffey Jr.
P Greg Maddux

I might quibble over Griffey Jr. over a few guys, or Parker over Keith Hernandez (just off the top of my head), but why bother? Any all time gold glove team that doesn't include Bill Mazeroski is a farce. Not only is he the greatest defensive second baseman in history by a wide margin, you could make a case that he is the greatest defensive player in history at ANY position. Not as good as case as you could before Ozzie Smith came along, but still.

I also have a hard time believing that Craig Nettles wasn't even on the ballot. I would place him behind Robinson and maybe Schmidt, but he should have been a contender.


Maz is the definition of a gold glover. he needs to be on this team.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4553
Location: Pittsburgh
Piratefan13 wrote:
It shouldn't suprise any of you guys who know me on this board and my support of Bill Mazeroski. What you don't know is my sheer distaste for Joe Morgan, and all that he stands for. For him to receive this honor in place of the greates defensive 2B to live is lunacy, fodder for conspiracy theorists everywhere. I just don't have much more to say... :x

I don't like Morgan's TV analysis, but there is no doubt that he was a great, great player. In the mid to late 70s I think that the only second baseman who had better range than Morgan was Rennie Stennett. But I'm not sure that he even belonged on this ballot.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 3928
Location: Zelienople, PA
Who does Morgan announce baseball games for on Sunday night? Oh, right...

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
ZelieMike wrote:
Who does Morgan announce baseball games for on Sunday night? Oh, right...

ZM



Hmmmmm..... I don't know ZM.... is it.... ESPN??? Yah.. I am the winner.

ESPN... cue up a conspiracy theory


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:33 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
ZelieMike wrote:
Who does Morgan announce baseball games for on Sunday night? Oh, right...

ZM


A neurologist I am working for is trying to get funded to study whether listening to Joe Morgan broadcast a game kills more brain cells than hitting a crack pipe. Its such a shame, because Jon Miller is one of my favorite announcers (aside from the fact that he panders too much to Joe's idiocy).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 3928
Location: Zelienople, PA
Morgan does prattle on with the best of the prattling class though. He's a lock for the Lanny "useless factoid prattle" Frattere HOF though.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Let's not forget that Morgan is also a complete blowhard who is has GIANT biases. I'd rather slam my fingers in a car door repeatedly than listen to him yap about how "scrappy" and "gritty" Juan Piere is while mindlessly defaming Billy Beane and "his book" (News flash, Joe: Billy Beane does not write books; Micheal Lewis does). Being the best second baseman in the history of the game (overall, not defensively) should not give him license to be an unbearable ass.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6022
I must be in the great minority of fans who enjoy his color. Oh well, different strokes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All Time Gold Glove Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1473
I like Joe Morgan a lot, too. Every sportscaster has their quirks. I would love to see the Sunday Night guys do a Pirates game just once or twice in my lifetime. Ha! They don't make fun of players like team broadcasters do.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits