Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snell has elbow issues
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:04 am 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08174/891889-100.stm

Quote:
Pirates starter Ian Snell will be examined tomorrow for what he and the team described as right elbow irritation after an 8-5 loss to Toronto this afternoon before 22,983 at PNC Park, as well as a chance at a three-game sweep of the Blue Jays.

He told manager John Russell about it after four innings -- four runs, eight hits, four walks on 91 pitches -- and Russell pulled him.

Snell will have an arthrogram performed tomorrow at Allegheny General Hospital to check for structural damage, but the Pirates strongly suggested they feel that will not be the case.

"Hopefully, it's not anything major," Russell said.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Snell has elbow issues
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:36 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

Quote:
Pirates starter Ian Snell will be examined tomorrow for what he and the team described as right elbow irritation after an 8-5 loss to Toronto this afternoon before 22,983 at PNC Park, as well as a chance at a three-game sweep of the Blue Jays.

He told manager John Russell about it after four innings -- four runs, eight hits, four walks on 91 pitches -- and Russell pulled him.

Snell will have an arthrogram performed tomorrow at Allegheny General Hospital to check for structural damage, but the Pirates strongly suggested they feel that will not be the case.

Gee. What a shock. I suppose that waiting for all those folks who were calling Snell a head case to admit how wrong there were is a waste of time, though.

Next up is Gorzo getting an MRI on his shoulder. Remember, you heard it here first.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:41 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Quote:

Gee. What a shock. I suppose that waiting for all those folks who were calling Snell a head case to admit how wrong there were is a waste of time, though.

Next up is Gorzo getting an MRI on his shoulder. Remember, you heard it here first.

I agree re Gorzo, but I wouldn't say I heard it from you first. There have been many speculating about him being injured since spring training. I saw him pitch in spring and he looked hurt then. Rocco Demero (sp) and one of the espn national guys said that around opening day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:52 pm 

Elmer wrote:
I agree re Gorzo, but I wouldn't say I heard it from you first. There have been many speculating about him being injured since spring training. I saw him pitch in spring and he looked hurt then. Rocco Demero (sp) and one of the espn national guys said that around opening day.

If you were reading the posts here back before spring training, then you did hear it here first, because several posters were predicting arm trouble for him going back to last September.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:54 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

If you were reading the posts here back before spring training, then you did hear it here first, because several posters were predicting arm trouble for him going back to last September.

I heard posters predicting it before you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:02 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I heard posters predicting it before you.

Yep, you sure did. That's why I wrote "several posters", not "I". I think that Econo was the first to bring it up, but I may be wrong. It could have been someone else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:03 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Yep, you sure did. That's why I wrote "several posters", not "I". I think that Econo was the first to bring it up, but I may be wrong. It could have been someone else.

This isn't the only Pirates message board on the planet, ya know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:13 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

No kidding. It's the only one I'm talking about, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:13 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

No kidding. It's the only one I'm talking about, though.

So it's not possible for me or someone else to "hear it here first" anywhere but this board?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:42 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

And yet, Gorzo, while admitting a "stiff" shoulder early in the year, says he is all comfy now. His velocity is back to normal (91 or so), and his command is getting better each start since that disaster a few weeks ago.

So, you may have to eat some crow if that is true.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:11 pm 

Snell will probably miss one start with golfer's elbow, and Dumatrait will be ready when his DL time is up, as he just has some bursitis in the rotator cuff. Good news all around.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08175/892036-100.stm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:38 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

ooops. another blow to the Rocco DeMarro theory (I use Rocco judiciously to avoid copyright infringment issues on this board).

Snell is not overused.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:00 pm 

THATS THE FIRST LINE IN YOUR FIRST REPLY TO THIS SUBJECT.I DON'T THINK (how wrong there were is a waste or time) IS VERY PROPER ENGLISH.SINCE YOU WANT TO GET ON ME FOR IT.
BUT ALSO I DO AGREE WITH YOU AND YOUR OPINION ABOUT SNELL.
Snell and Gorzo both appear to be one year wonders and we keep them in the rotation instead of a number one draft pick in Tyler Yates.Yates has never got a chance to start on our team and we still don't have talks of him starting.i just don't get it.hopefully somebody in the front office realizes that their is a better talent in Yates then just a good reliever

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:08 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
hopefully somebody in the front office realizes that their is a better talent in Yates then just a good reliever

And hopefully that person is fired long before he gets to voice that opinion. I hope that you weren't being serious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:59 pm 

very serious.i've seen yates start games in person outside of the pirates and he is very up and down but when hes hot hes more than hot.His state of mind is what makes him go up and down and not just stay up.If he gets the confidence to play good he will play good and that might even go into a starting role is all i'm saying.I think he deserves a shot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:19 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
And yet, Gorzo, while admitting a "stiff" shoulder early in the year, says he is all comfy now. His velocity is back to normal (91 or so), and his command is getting better each start since that disaster a few weeks ago.

ZM

I'll point out that you wrote the same thing about Snell's velocity to me earlier in the season.

He CLAIMS that his shoulder is okay now. We have no way to know whether or not he is telling the truth, and he'd be far from the first pitcher to lie about the condition of his arm. I'd also like to point out that Dumatrait was having trouble with his shoulder for quite some time, but we heard nothing about it until he was put on the DL.

Another point is this, and I think that it's a very important one: a pitcher who is about to break down often pitches poorly for some time before he reports any pain from the injury. Just take a look at Zach Duke last year for one example.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:34 am 

sisyphus wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

I'll point out that you wrote the same thing about Snell's velocity to me earlier in the season.

Sheesh. Reading this thread is like being an unwilling spectator at a pissing contest. Put 'em back in your pants and zip up guys. Nobody cares who predicted what to who when.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:36 am 

Colin21 wrote:

THATS THE FIRST LINE IN YOUR FIRST REPLY TO THIS SUBJECT.I DON'T THINK (how wrong there were is a waste or time) IS VERY PROPER ENGLISH.SINCE YOU WANT TO GET ON ME FOR IT.

I majored in English, spam man, so you might want to be careful about criticizing my grammar. You are right about that criticism, though. "I don't think how wrong there were" is most definitely not proper English. I don't take the care here with spelling, grammar and punctuation that I would in a more formal setting, but I do pay some attention to what I'm writing. Unfortunately for you, that isn't what I wrote. It's how you misquoted me. And I did not "get on you" for failing to use proper English. I got on you for using chat speak. A message board is not a chatroom. You have plenty of time to type your replies, so take the extra fraction of a second to actually type out whole words as a courtesy to the other board members.

Quote:
BUT ALSO I DO AGREE WITH YOU AND YOUR OPINION ABOUT SNELL.
Snell and Gorzo both appear to be one year wonders and we keep them in the rotation instead of a number one draft pick in Tyler Yates.Yates has never got a chance to start on our team and we still don't have talks of him starting.i just don't get it.hopefully somebody in the front office realizes that their is a better talent in Yates then just a good reliever

We DON'T agree on Snell and Gorzo. I don't think that either of them are one year wonders. I think that they are both injured. We don't agree on Tyler Yates either. While I don't have a problem with his acquisition, his performance has been very disappointing. Twenty nine hits, 29 walks and only 23 strikeouts in 37 innings is terrible. As to putting him into the rotation, he put up an ERA of 6.34 in 7 starts for the Mets in 2004, and he didn't show anything in 25 career minor league starts. I see nothing to indicate that he'd be any good as a starter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:37 am 

burghermeister wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Sheesh. Reading this thread is like being an unwilling spectator at a pissing contest. Put 'em back in your pants and zip up guys. Nobody cares who predicted what to who when.

It's relevant to his point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:45 am 

we agree only applied to the first sentence i said.everything after that was my opinion , and as for Yates goes i see him like a rock rolling down a hill.the pirates testing him on what he does in 1 inning isnt fair to a strike-out type pitcher like him.i will say though thay his walks do scare me and that has always been his problem but i really think he deserves a shot.We are possibly going to have 2 out of 5 rotation spots open this week and maybe in the weeks to come.Who would you guys put in for those starts?