Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dumatrait to DL, TJ Beam called up
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:53 pm 
BBF, I've heard your praises of NH all season. He's certainly done some good things.

I'm curious now, though, to hear your criticisms of him. Give me 5 moves/non moves he's made that you don't like. Or, is he perfect?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:00 pm 

Elmer wrote:
I didn't want a 12 man rotation. I think that, once this season started rolling and you saw that you had zero in Morris, very little in your two "aces" of Snell and Gorzo, that continuing to bring in bodies is reasonable.

Who? I don't remember you calling any guys on the waiver wire to our attention.

Quote:
Criticizing every move a GM makes is silly. But so is defending every move he makes (or doesn't make in this case).

Take a look at the 10 pitchers (rotations in MLB and AAA) ... to act like there's no room for improvement is laughable.

Who would you suggest they acquire, and what should they give up to get him?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:02 pm 

Elmer wrote:
BBF, I've heard your praises of NH all season. He's certainly done some good things.

I'm curious now, though, to hear your criticisms of him. Give me 5 moves/non moves he's made that you don't like. Or, is he perfect?

Oh, so you can't back up your argument, so let's change the topic to how much I love NH! Great debate technique. Honestly, arguing with you is pointless, and I know that I shouldn't even humor your ridiculous post, but what the hell.

Nope, he is not perfect.

Two moves I did not like were the trades of Torres and the acquisition of Yates. I said it then and still believe that I would rather have Torres and Davidson than Salas, Roberts, and Yates. Even with the difference in salary and even with the fact that Torres is a FA much sooner.

I also criticized them for keeping JVB as a starter. We need to find out if he has any value at all, which, IMO, would only be as a reliever, and we needed to do it this year.

I could also list several non-moves, but when you start criticizing non-moves (as you are) you are ASSUMING there was a move to be made. I, personally, find that to be an asinine argument.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:09 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Oh, so you can't back up your argument, so let's change the topic to how much I love NH! Great debate technique. Honestly, arguing with you is pointless, and I know that I shouldn't even humor your ridiculous post, but what the hell.

Nope, he is not perfect.

Two moves I did not like were the trades of Torres and the acquisition of Yates. I said it then and still believe that I would rather have Torres and Davidson than Salas, Roberts, and Yates. Even with the difference in salary and even with the fact that Torres is a FA much sooner.

I also criticized them for keeping JVB as a starter. We need to find out if he has any value at all, which, IMO, would only be as a reliever, and we needed to do it this year.

I could also list several non-moves, but when you start criticizing non-moves (as you are) you are ASSUMING there was a move to be made. I, personally, find that to be an asinine argument.

I like to see both sides of any arguments so I'm glad you gave me your take. It's a refreshing change re the GM on this board.

I agree with you on the Torres move. The logic of "staying pat" so guys could return to past for (a la Bay) didn't apply to Torres for whatever reason, so I found it to be confusing.

The Yates move I like. They didn't give up much but got a power arm. He needs to find control though, and that may never happen, so it's certainly a risk. But given the trade of Torres happened, I do like this. If Torres is never traded, they probably don't make this move, which would be fine with me.

As for non-moves, I consider debating non-moves fun, not asinine. But, to each their own.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:20 pm 

Torres was making waves with the organization and was close to FA and he wasn't going to "return to form" like Bay because he is on the downside of his career so its good we got some young guys for him. Plus he wouldn't have made much of a difference anyway. I like the Yates deal and the Meek deal because the Buccos have a bunch of average arms in the organization, lots of 88-92mph FB's. We needed a few 95-98mph guys, even to just take a look at them.

Again, I will reiterate, this is the first year for the new upper-management, rather than running off spending tons of money in the offseason, I believe they wanted to see what was in-house first. I approve of that philosophy. Now we really know what we are deficient in, if NH doesn't bolster in those areas next season, I will be right along side of you complaining.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:52 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BBF wrote:
It is your criticism- if you want it to stand, you should certainly be able to suggest some names that have been available over the waiver wire that you consider to be an improvement. ..

Well, there certainly did not seem an interest in Ponson and his case of whiskey. But, Ponson is a quality MLB pitcher, who after you passed him through the detox machine (or maybe gave him a good scotch booser!), could give you good innings.

From a BB perspective only, he is sure someone that was passed on.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:22 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
BBF wrote:
It is your criticism- if you want it to stand, you should certainly be able to suggest some names that have been available over the waiver wire that you consider to be an improvement. ..

Well, there certainly did not seem an interest in Ponson and his case of whiskey. But, Ponson is a quality MLB pitcher, who after you passed him through the detox machine (or maybe gave him a good scotch booser!), could give you good innings.

From a BB perspective only, he is sure someone that was passed on.

ZM

See, Elmer, its not that hard!!!

I wouldn't have a problem had NH gotten Ponson for the ML-minimum. You could debate whether he would sign with us when the Yankees and probably a few other more competitive teams would offer him the same thing, but oh well.

As an added benefit, signing Ponson would have greatly increased revenues from the drink tax, perhaps enough to eliminate all property taxes! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:34 pm 

BBF is on the money as always. I miss Salomon Torres so much! I don't fault our GM all that much though because he has a vision for the future.

Attachments:
Salomon.jpg
Salomon.jpg [ 12.37 KiB | Viewed 247 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 am 

I've like TJ Beam for along time now but i still don't think hes ready for the pros yet.Hes 6'7 210 pounds.He needs some meat to his bones and better stuff before hes ready , but i've been wrong before with guys being ready , but i just think that they are rushing him.There are other guys out there they could have brought in instead of Beam at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:31 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I've like TJ Beam for along time now but i still don't think hes ready for the pros yet.Hes 6'7 210 pounds.He needs some meat to his bones and better stuff before hes ready , but i've been wrong before with guys being ready , but i just think that they are rushing him.There are other guys out there they could have brought in instead of Beam at this point.

TJ Beam was pitching in the majors 2 years ago for the Yankees. He is hardly a young kid that they are "rushing".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:43 am 

BBF wrote:
He is hardly a young kid that they are "rushing".

Maybe he's from Cuba?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 am 

Colin21 wrote:

Beam is 27 years old. If he's not ready now, he'll never be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:44 pm 

Willton wrote:
Beam is 27 years old. If he's not ready now, he'll never be.

27 if we multiply by the distance of Earth to Mars during the Spring Equinox and divide by the number of losing seasons the Pirates have had and add the number of Al Martin's wives equals 31 in Latin American years...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 pm 

I dont think beam's from out of this county.Hes pretty white.Age isn't why i said he isnt ready , i don't think hes ready cause his numbers aren't good enough.we have alot of young guys doing better than Beam right now.Beam has decent stuff and he has great size but this hasn't even been one of his good years in the minors.We only brought him in as a seat filler and he will just blow games at this point

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I dont think beam's from out of this county.Hes pretty white.Age isn't why i said he isnt ready , i don't think hes ready cause his numbers aren't good enough.we have alot of young guys doing better than Beam right now.Beam has decent stuff and he has great size but this hasn't even been one of his good years in the minors.We only brought him in as a seat filler and he will just blow games at this point

Well if that's the case, then we certainly aren't rushing him, are we? He's just not good enough, and leaving him in AAA is not going to teach him anything. Unless you can think of a better option, I say we use him or lose him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:00 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Beam has decent stuff and he has great size but this hasn't even been one of his good years in the minors.We only brought him in as a seat filler and he will just blow games at this point

I would like to hear what you didn't like about what Beam had been doing in the minors. In 40 IP, he had given up only 29 hits and 13 walks. Only one home run and 9 earned runs. He also had 39 strikeouts.

If you prefer ratios, that is an ERA of 2.03, a WHIP of 1.05, and a K:BB ratio of 3:1.

While I don't have high hopes for him, I DON'T agree that he was rushed up or didn't deserve to get the call.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 pm 

Beam just proved my point in the game tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:52 pm 

Yeah he got rocked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:04 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Beam just proved my point in the game tonight.

No he didn't. Last night's game is just evidence that Beam is not a good pitcher. It proves nothing about whether he was rushed to the major leagues.

There's no way that Beam could be rushed when (a) he's 27 years old, (b) he was dominating AAA at the time, and (3) he's pitched in the majors in years prior.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:56 am 

I know but there is a different feel from the minors to the pros.Vanbenscoten is the best example of that.Hes a pitching god in triple A but hes just not a good pro yet.If TJ Beam is ever going to be good in the pros its not gonna be until hes atleast 29 or 30.Hes not ready mentally , and just because the Yankees rushed him the same way we are not be he has good experence.Coming up and getting rocked every pro outting you have is worse than keeping them in the minors until they are 29 in my opinion.