Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7196
3rd, 4th, and 39th Rounds...

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08169/890505-100.stm

Quote:
The Pirates today signed shortstops Jordy Mercer and Chase D'Arnaud, their third- and fourth-round draft picks, as well as 39th-round pitcher Albert Fagan.



Quote:
The Pirates have signed 24 of their 50 draft picks, including half of the top 10.

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4083
Location: Zelienople, PA
Didn't NH tell us before the draft that the average signability was in the 15 range? Or, was that 15 unsigned?

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7196
I'm not sure because of the chaos caused by the Moskos pick last year, but it seems like Huntington has not wasted anytime signing his picks than previous GM's in the organization...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
My recollection is that from 20 to 25 would be about average. So, 24 already seems like a very good sign. Now if can get the top guys!

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6169
25 to 30 is the norm depending on needs and projection.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:32 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Its certainly a great sign that we have signed 24 picks already. Obviously, though, its the high end talent that will make this a great draft. They've yet to sign the top two, though I am positive Alvarez will sign, or Grossman. Also, I believe there was another guy they drafted late that had signability issues...have they inked him yet?

If they sign Alvarez and Grossman, that would be great. Scheppers I could understand not signing, as his shoulder may interfere with negotiations. Just the fact that they made that pick, though, sets this front office apart from Littlefield.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4083
Location: Zelienople, PA
BBF wrote:
... Scheppers I could understand not signing, as his shoulder may interfere with negotiations. Just the fact that they made that pick, though, sets this front office apart from Littlefield.


What does? Drafting an injured pitcher in the early rounds? :D

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:01 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
BBF wrote:
Also, I believe there was another guy they drafted late that had signability issues...have they inked him yet?


BBF, you may be referring to Beau Didier, a 3B drafted out of high school in Tacoma, Wash. According to Wilbur Miller, he's the son of ex-MLB catcher Bob Didier and has committed to attend LSU. Ergo, he's considered unlikely to sign.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
ZelieMike wrote:
BBF wrote:
... Scheppers I could understand not signing, as his shoulder may interfere with negotiations. Just the fact that they made that pick, though, sets this front office apart from Littlefield.


What does? Drafting an injured pitcher in the early rounds? :D

ZM


Touche. :lol:

I meant risk taking, of course, but well done.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Draft Picks Sign
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Bob in Boston wrote:
BBF wrote:
Also, I believe there was another guy they drafted late that had signability issues...have they inked him yet?


BBF, you may be referring to Beau Didier, a 3B drafted out of high school in Tacoma, Wash. According to Wilbur Miller, he's the son of ex-MLB catcher Bob Didier and has committed to attend LSU. Ergo, he's considered unlikely to sign.


That's possibly who I was referring to, though the name doesn't stick out. I seemed to be thinking it was an OF'er, but that just might be Grossman clouding my thinking.

Landing some of these tough signings would convince me that the ownership is committed to- and the front office capable of- building through the draft.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits