Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hank Steinbrenner: NL is at fault for Chien-Ming's injury
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:50 pm 

Kojak, really? Your father was a Cardinals fan? Was he from Missouri? I assume he followed them since the great '64-'68 teams. My mom and brother were huuuuge Cardinals fans! My mom didn't care for any other sport, only St. Louis Cardinals baseball. I was raised listening to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon doing Cardinals games. Becoming a Pirates fan by chance ('71 World Series) my mom and I had a fun rivalry with baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:04 am 

Ollie wrote:
Kojak, really? Your father was a Cardinals fan? Was he from Missouri? I assume he followed them since the great '64-'68 teams. My mom and brother were huuuuge Cardinals fans! My mom didn't care for any other sport, only St. Louis Cardinals baseball. I was raised listening to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon doing Cardinals games. Becoming a Pirates fan by chance ('71 World Series) my mom and I had a fun rivalry with baseball.

He grew up in southern Illinois, about 90 minutes east of St Louis, where the only thing to do for fun was listening to Cards games on the radio. A generation earlier than the one you suggest, during the 40s — Musial, Slaughter, Schoedienst, et al. His dislike of the St. Louis Browns was deep enough to carry over to the Orioles once he moved to Baltimore.

My dad had his faults, but he did get me to two games of the '79 series, which buys him a lot of 'good-dad' credit.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:05 pm 

Wow.. it would be cool to go back in time and see that Cardinals team play. I wonder what the Pirates were doing in the forties.. maybe we had Ralph Kiner and Danny Murtaugh by then?