Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hank Steinbrenner: NL is at fault for Chien-Ming's injury
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:20 am 

Some wonderful quotes from the heir apparent to the Yankee throne:

"It's time the National League joins the 21st century," Steinbrenner told The Post, "or is forced to join. The National League is playing the same way it did in the 1880s. That's over with. The National League should have the designated hitter. There's no question the National League should have it.

"I'm not happy about this," Steinbrenner said of the injury to Wang's push-off foot. "I feel bad for him and I feel bad for the ballclub. We were just getting on a roll.

"It's OK for the Yankees to fill up the seats in the National League parks, they make a ton of money off us. Then we should support each other when one of our guys gets hurt. The National League should join the club and not have pitchers hit. It's time to go to the DH. It's the right thing to do."

"I don't think they will do it because they still haven't caught up with what happened in the 20th century," Steinbrenner said. "It might have been OK for pitchers to hit in 1910, but not now."

"Pitchers have enough to do already," he said. "This has to change."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06172008/sports/yankees/hank__nls_lack_of_dh_senseless_115819.htm

:lol:

So many quotes, so little time!

Post subject: Re: Hank Steinbrenner: NL is at fault for Chien-Ming's injury
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:22 am 

Wow Hank. Wouldn't want those poor pitchers to have to be athletic enough to run the bases.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:41 am 

Argentum wrote:
Some wonderful quotes from the heir apparent to the Yankee throne:

"It's time the National League joins the 21st century," Steinbrenner told The Post, "or is forced to join. The National League is playing the same way it did in the 1880s. That's over with. The National League should have the designated hitter. There's no question the National League should have it.

"I'm not happy about this," Steinbrenner said of the injury to Wang's push-off foot. "I feel bad for him and I feel bad for the ballclub. We were just getting on a roll.

"It's OK for the Yankees to fill up the seats in the National League parks, they make a ton of money off us. Then we should support each other when one of our guys gets hurt. The National League should join the club and not have pitchers hit. It's time to go to the DH. It's the right thing to do."

"I don't think they will do it because they still haven't caught up with what happened in the 20th century," Steinbrenner said. "It might have been OK for pitchers to hit in 1910, but not now."

"Pitchers have enough to do already," he said. "This has to change."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06172008/sports/yankees/hank__nls_lack_of_dh_senseless_115819.htm

:lol:

So many quotes, so little time!

Steinbrenner isn't happy that he has all the money. He wants to shape the rules of baseball to favor his team as well.

It's time for the American League join us and return to playing baseball by having nine athletes in the lineup for each game, instead of eight athletes, a freak with an arm and a fat guy with a bat.

Here's some news for you, Steinbrenner: you're team isn't very good, and it's getting worse every year.

Hank Steinbrenner, KMA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:42 am 

Hank Steinbrenner is a pussy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:53 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Hank Steinbrenner is a pussy.

That's an insult to cats everywhere.

He's a whining crybaby.

Wait a minute, that's an insult to crying babies everywhere.

Hank Steinbrenner complaining to the press about the NL:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 am 

If MLB was run like NASCAR, I'd be afraid we'd have seen the last pitcher bat ever. But it isn't, so I'm not going to worry... I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:46 pm 

I think baseball has found it's answer to Mark Cuban.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:54 pm 

Do you think that idiots like him ever realize that there is a reason everyone else considers him to be the original ass.

What a goof.

His team has all the money, still doesn't dominate, and then has the nerve to attack others cause his poor boys aren't given all the advantages. Why play the game? Let's just name his team world champs every year and move on to something else.

More motivation for the Pirates. I hope, I hope, I hope...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:59 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
I think baseball has found it's answer to Mark Cuban.

Hey I like Cuban

I think it is funny, I am 29, not in any kind of pro athlete shape and could still run the bases without hurting myself.

Also, I was one of the few non-Yankee fans that didn't hate George Steinbrenner. He was an @$$, but he was entertaining. Hank has all George's egotism with none of the personality.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:28 pm 

I have to listen to garbage like this every year living in an American League city.

My co-workers despise NL rules. They want to punch me if I say anything against the DH. Cleveland sports talk show hosts make fun of of the Natonal League.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 am 

Really Ollie? I live in an AL city too and many of the Rays fans I know (including season ticket holders) prefer National League rules. There is a hope amongst some fans, however far-fetched, that the Rays and Marlins switch leagues. I know I would support such a move as I am an NL fan and I would get to see the Bucs here at least once a year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:41 am 

Fans may be more open minded down there because you see both leagues during spring training. The Rays would probably be doing very well in the NL right now. I'll be seeing Tampa Bay here in Cleveland in a few eeeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:31 pm 

I grew up in an AL city (Baltimore) with an old-school NL father (Cards fan) who didn't cotton to the DH rule one bit. I think Prince of PIttsburgh's observation that AL fans tend to be more open to NL rules than vice versa is pretty accurate. The divisions might be a little more stark among younger fans, I imagine.

But I'm gonna go ahead and say it: I prefer the DH. The mystique of the 7th inning double-switch doesn't really compensate, in my mind, for putting the bat in the hands of someone who's considered "good" if he posts an OPS north of .450 3 or 4 times a game. But that's just me. I prefer indoor plumbing, too. :mrgreen:

Flame away if you must, but Jim Leyland, among others, happens to agree:
Quote:
"Everyone in the world disagrees with me, including some managers, but I think managing in the American League is much more difficult for that very reason (having the designated hitter). In the National League, my situation is dictated for me. If I'm behind in the game, I've got to pinch hit. I've got to take my pitcher out. In the American League, you have to zero in. You have to know exactly when to take them out of there. In the National League, that's done for you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter

This doesn't change the underlying truth that Hanky is a douchebag of the highest order.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:46 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
This doesn't change the underlying truth that Hanky is a douchebag of the highest order.

I'm fairly certain that even Yankee fans will agree with this assertion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:53 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
I grew up in an AL city (Baltimore) with an old-school NL father (Cards fan) who didn't cotton to the DH rule one bit. I think Prince of PIttsburgh's observation that AL fans tend to be more open to NL rules than vice versa is pretty accurate. The divisions might be a little more stark among younger fans, I imagine.

But I'm gonna go ahead and say it: I prefer the DH. The mystique of the 7th inning double-switch doesn't really compensate, in my mind, for putting the bat in the hands of someone who's considered "good" if he posts an OPS north of .450 3 or 4 times a game. But that's just me. I prefer indoor plumbing, too. :mrgreen:

Flame away if you must, but Jim Leyland, among others, happens to agree:
Quote:
"Everyone in the world disagrees with me, including some managers, but I think managing in the American League is much more difficult for that very reason (having the designated hitter). In the National League, my situation is dictated for me. If I'm behind in the game, I've got to pinch hit. I've got to take my pitcher out. In the American League, you have to zero in. You have to know exactly when to take them out of there. In the National League, that's done for you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter

While I think that Leyland is a fine manager, he is often full of crap, and this is one of those times.

I doubt that there is a pitcher in the NL who is averaging three at bats a game, let alone 4.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:47 pm 

Micah Owings has 39 PAs in 14 games as a pitcher :)

The thing is, from my viewpoint NL managers are rather reluctant to take a pitcher out for offensive purposes. Even if he's just hanging in there. Not pinch-hitting with starters around 100 pitches was one of Jim Tracy's signature moves...

It is just as much a point against a DH. More variety in the game, more depth needed, and more managerial moves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:04 pm 

Bukanier wrote:

The thing is, from my viewpoint NL managers are rather reluctant to take a pitcher out for offensive purposes. Even if he's just hanging in there. Not pinch-hitting with starters around 100 pitches was one of Jim Tracy's signature moves...

It is just as much a point against a DH. More variety in the game, more depth needed, and more managerial moves.

Something that you must consider when you talk about adding the DH to the NL: the Pirates will have to find and pay 9 every day hitters instead of eight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:19 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
While I think that Leyland is a fine manager, he is often full of crap, and this is one of those times.

I doubt that there is a pitcher in the NL who is averaging three at bats a game, let alone 4.

There might not be any single pitcher averaging 3 or 4 at bats a game

But how many times does his spot in the order come up a game?...A DH would eliminate using the bench up, making a double switch, and would allow you to save your pinch hitter for a key situation instead of replacing a pitcher in the 6th inning because hes over 100 pitches

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:19 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Bukanier wrote:

Something that you must consider when you talk about adding the DH to the NL: the Pirates will have to find and pay 9 every day hitters instead of eight.

Ha! They've got you fooled...the Pirates only pay 4 every day hitters and fill the rest of the lineup card with scrubs!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:04 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

There might not be any single pitcher averaging 3 or 4 at bats a game

But how many times does his spot in the order come up a game?...A DH would eliminate using the bench up, making a double switch, and would allow you to save your pinch hitter for a key situation instead of replacing a pitcher in the 6th inning because hes over 100 pitches

If you are using your best pinch hitter in the sixth inning, then you shouldn't be managing in the first place. Unless that moment IS the key situation, of course.