Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mets fire Randolph
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 am 

They also fired pitching coach Rick Peterson. Here is a blurb from the NY Post story.

Quote:
Peterson, meanwhile, is one of the more respected pitching coaches in the game but was axed in part because of the bullpen's struggles and the inconsistency of young starters Oliver Perez and Mike Pelfrey, last night's winner.

I guess they didn't watch Ollie's inconsistencies in Pittsburgh.

METS FIRE RANDOLPH

Post subject: Re: Mets fire Randolph
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:05 am 

At least Willie was man enough to go out with pride.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:07 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

yeah, but he's still out.

I think he should have thrown a chair or two, just to show the Met's he really, REALLY cared!

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:11 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
yeah, but he's still out.

I think he should have thrown a chair or two, just to show the Met's he really, REALLY cared!

ZM

ZM, you're gonna chew that there tongue off if ya keep planting it on your cheek like that!! You are one cantankerous rapscallion! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:20 pm 

Argentum wrote:
You are one cantankerous rapscallion! ;)

This may be the first time anyone has used those two words in the history of the board -- and you managed to put them in the same sentence. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:40 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I kinda like it. And, I think I can get through those words phonetically...

I think...

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:57 pm 

WOW what a vocabulary. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:14 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Argentum wrote:
You are one cantankerous rapscallion! ;)

This may be the first time anyone has used those two words in the history of the board -- and you managed to put them in the same sentence. :mrgreen:

Sometimes I'm able to channel Bertie.

I also see dead people!! :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:36 am 
i wonder if Raldoph has any ability as a starting pitcher. if so, the pirates need to sign him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:21 am 

John Kruk went ballistic, and in my mind, rightfully so, about the situation on the evening before the firing. It seems that Tony Bernazard (sp) was telling players details of discussions between Randolph and his coaches. Uh oh! Krukkie said that Randolph was a stand up guy who did not deserve any of this. His endorsement of Willie was only surprising in its intensity and sheer rage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:29 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
John Kruk went ballistic, and in my mind, rightfully so, about the situation on the evening before the firing. It seems that Tony Bernazard (sp) was telling players details of discussions between Randolph and his coaches. Uh oh! Krukkie said that Randolph was a stand up guy who did not deserve any of this. His endorsement of Willie was only surprising in its intensity and sheer rage.

If I recall correctly, Kruk went similarly apesh*t last year when the O's fired Sam Perlozzo. I've often wondered why Kruk isn't a hitting coach or manager somewhere. Demonstrative outbursts in which he dismisses entire organizations as being idiots for firing his buds might be the reason.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:44 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

If I recall correctly, Kruk went similarly apesh*t last year when the O's fired Sam Perlozzo. I've often wondered why Kruk isn't a hitting coach or manager somewhere. Demonstrative outbursts in which he dismisses entire organizations as being idiots for firing his buds might be the reason.

Kruk was a hitting coach at AA Reading in 2001...I met him after a Curve game one time and got his autograph and picture taken holding my Pennsylvania Geography Textbook...

Our prof was a Philly Native and a celebrity junky and would give bonus points if we got a picture and an autograph of a celebrity holding our book...

Needless to say, my C turned into an A, and heard the whole 1993 Mitch Williams sob story again and again...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:09 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Or maybe the fact that television commentators don't have to spend half a season on the road and make tons more money than your typical coach might have something to do with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:05 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Or maybe the fact that television commentators don't have to spend half a season on the road and make tons more money than your typical coach might have something to do with it.

I believe thats the reason why he quit...He didn't like all the travel involved, being away from his family...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:02 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I believe thats the reason why he quit...He didn't like all the travel involved, being away from his family...

He doesn't really strike me as the coaching type. I always thought of him as being from the see the ball / hit the ball school.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 pm 

Anyone who played as long as he did can teach hyou something about the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:13 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Anyone who played as long as he did can teach hyou something about the game.

Probably, but a lot of good hitters weren't exactly what you'd call technically adept, and a lot of top coaches were guys who never amounted to much as major leaguers.

I remember reading a book about the Utica Blue Sox. Their pitching coach was Bob Veale. His idea of coaching was to tell his pitchers to throw the shitball if that's what it takes to get guys out, and remind batters of their fear.

Easy for him to say. He had to be one of the most intimidating pitchers to ever take the mound.