Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: XMan should be ok
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

DK says if Morgan, and rather definatively.

I don't believe we such McCutch until after the July arb clock starts.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:45 am 

I would bring McCutcheon up now. We've seen what Nyjmo can do, and it ain't much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 am 

Ralphie wrote:
I would bring McCutcheon up now. We've seen what Nyjmo can do, and it ain't much.

Bringing up McCutcheon now means he becomes a free agent one year sooner. He would be my last choice for a guy to promote right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:23 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Bringing up McCutcheon now means he becomes a free agent one year sooner. He would be my last choice for a guy to promote right now.

I don't think this is true. It may make it so that he could file for arbitration a year sooner but not if you just brought him up to get his feet wet with the intent of sending him back down. My understanding of the rules are as follows:

1. Service time = days in the majors except that if a player is in the minors for 20 days or less of the season, they get credit for the whole year.
2. If they are in the top 17% of the 2+ year players in service time, they can file for arbitration a year earlier but this does not make them eligible for free agency any sooner.

#1 is not an issue. #2 could be but only if he sticks with the big club and would only affect arbitration not free agency.

I say bring him up and see what happens!

BM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:33 pm 

I'd rather see Thompson than Morgan, I think.

I'm indifferent on the McCutchen issue...yeah, you might start his arbitration clock early, but then again, NH seems to be of the mindset to lock those worth keeping up before they even reach arbitration. I think the impact would be minimal. Ideally, though, you don't want to bring him up until you are ready to give him the job full time, and are sure he can handle it. Bringing him up only to send him back down in 2 weeks when Nady is healthy is far from ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:12 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

I don't think this is true. It may make it so that he could file for arbitration a year sooner but not if you just brought him up to get his feet wet with the intent of sending him back down. My understanding of the rules are as follows:

1. Service time = days in the majors except that if a player is in the minors for 20 days or less of the season, they get credit for the whole year.
2. If they are in the top 17% of the 2+ year players in service time, they can file for arbitration a year earlier but this does not make them eligible for free agency any sooner.

#1 is not an issue. #2 could be but only if he sticks with the big club and would only affect arbitration not free agency.

I say bring him up and see what happens!

BM

#2 is the issue because the Pirates are almost certain to deal Bay, Nady or both before the end of July, and McCutcheon is the most likely callup to replace either. Adding another 15 or so days to his service time could put him the super two category. Call up Morgan. It's not like it's going to cost us the division.