Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I know I don't post many things...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 am 
 WWW  Profile

...and therefore I am not as well known as many others on here. But I am heading down to Nags Head to spend a week with the in-law side of the family.

Tonight's loss against the O's was as tough to swallow as the loss earlier in the week to the Nationals. But here is to the Pittsburgh Pirates pulling it out and being above .500 upon my return next Sunday after the Jays game.

Will they sing the Canadian National Anthem at those games?

Lets Go Bucs.

Post subject: Re: I know I don't post many things...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:47 am 

cappscrew138 wrote:
Will they sing the Canadian National Anthem at those games?

I hope you're right cappscrew that the Pirates will stay near or above .500 with these AL teams! :?

Have a great time on your vacation and let's hope if anyone sings O Canada, it will be sung much better than how the Star Spangled Banner was "sung" before the Pirates/Orioles games last night! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:18 am 

Man that was brutal BD. It was perhpas the 2nd worst I have ever heard by someone who is actually trying to sing it. I was wondering if any one else had been blessed with her rendition. Worst was when that track guy, his name escapes me, sang it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:28 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Man that was brutal BD. It was perhpas the 2nd worst I have ever heard by someone who is actually trying to sing it. I was wondering if any one else had been blessed with her rendition. Worst was when that track guy, his name escapes me, sang it.

Carl Lewis

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:18 pm 

The be quite honest Az and dan, I have heard our National Anthem butchered more when it's sung than done well.

I am very picky or to say very particular about how the Star Spangled Banner should be performed. Being an instrumentalist, I actually prefer it done as an instrumental version without a vocalist. Like the version that is played at the Olympics. That's the way I have my High School Band play it and that's the way I prefer listening to it. :)

Too many people want to turn the National Anthem into their own "production". They should be arrested for doing so.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:41 pm 

That national anthem was brutal last night. Just brutal. I had just tuned in before she sang and it was equally comical to hear Lanny's reaction. "Well ... not much you can say about that besides that that's our star spangled banner!"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:01 pm 

Lets just remember that the melody of our National Anthem was a drinking song from an old English Drinking Society

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:11 pm 

Did not know that.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:45 pm 

"The tune
It is possible that Key only ever intended this as a poem; there was nothing in his original notes to suggest a tune. However, there was a very popular tune of the time, for which had been written many differents sets of words. Perhaps the most notable of these was Robert Treat Paine's ode, Adams and Liberty, written for the Massachusetts Charitable Fire Society in 1798. All these songs had the same distinctive form and metre, and there can be no doubt that Key was heavily influenced by it.

When the handbills were printed, they bore the name of this tune to which the poem should be sung - To Anacreon In Heaven. Somewhat ironically, this is a song written for a British drinking club!

The Anacreontic Society was a popular genetlemen's drinking club, based in a pub in the Strand, London. The words of the song had been written by the society's president, Ralph Tomlinson, but the tune is more of a mystery.

At one time, the English composer Dr Thomas Arnold was thought to be its composer - Arnold had written numerous songs for the society. However, it is now accepted that the tune was probably written collectively by a group of members, led by John Stafford Smith, probably in 1771."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:57 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
"The tune
It is possible that Key only ever intended this as a poem; there was nothing in his original notes to suggest a tune. However, there was a very popular tune of the time, for which had been written many differents sets of words. Perhaps the most notable of these was Robert Treat Paine's ode, Adams and Liberty, written for the Massachusetts Charitable Fire Society in 1798. All these songs had the same distinctive form and metre, and there can be no doubt that Key was heavily influenced by it.

When the handbills were printed, they bore the name of this tune to which the poem should be sung - To Anacreon In Heaven. Somewhat ironically, this is a song written for a British drinking club!

The Anacreontic Society was a popular genetlemen's drinking club, based in a pub in the Strand, London. The words of the song had been written by the society's president, Ralph Tomlinson, but the tune is more of a mystery.

At one time, the English composer Dr Thomas Arnold was thought to be its composer - Arnold had written numerous songs for the society. However, it is now accepted that the tune was probably written collectively by a group of members, led by John Stafford Smith, probably in 1771."

YE GODS, a ROBERT TREAT PAINE reference at a Pirates message board! What an eclectic crew we have here!

I am a cousin of Mr. Paine. We are both descended from this guy, whose name I share:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Treat

Robert Treat Paine is best known as a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Treat_Paine

Actor Treat Williams is descended from Paine through his mother's side. His real name is Richard Treat Williams. Haven't seen him at any family reunions, though. :D

Any of you who are still awake, please rouse the ones I put to sleep now. I'm finished. :lol: