Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates v. Orioles -- 6/13/08
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:55 am 

When I fell asleep, we were leading 6-1.
To wake up, and discover that we had lost 9-6 is a real shock.
One naturally wants to blame someone, but it would seem that every aspect is to blame. This sort of loss has to be laid attributed to bad team leadership. Step forward John Russell.
I guess he thought, "Well, this one's in the bag. I'll keep my better relievers for the next game when they might be needed."; and said to the batters," This one's fun, go out and enjoy yourselves; the pitching's lousy just keep hacking away."
Or is there some malign power precluding Pirate fans from ever enjoying the briefest moment of contentment as they crave 'the Holy Grail' that is a WINNING RECORD?
Is it really so much to ask for?!

(I think I may have banged my head against the wall too many times. Those white figures coming toward me - are they angels of mercy or men in white coats? Time to lie down again.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:14 am 

Sanchez: No Hits
McLouth: No Hits
Doumit: No Hits
Bautista: No Hits

That all equals: No Good!

1.) JR must get Mr. Not Steady Freddy out of the leadoff spot
2.) Bautista needs to sit
3.) Make Doumit the DH

I would leadoff with Bay, put Rivas in for Freddy, Mientkiewicz at 1B.

Bay LF
Jack SS
McLouth CF
Doumit DH
Michaels RF
Mientkiewicz 1B
Rivas 2B
Gomez 3B
Chavez C

Rest Sanchez and Nady and keep LaRoche and Bautista on the Bench.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:39 am 

It would be interesting to see what that batting order would do for a week, bassoon. I doubt any manager would consider having his only two left handed hitters bat back-to-back though.

I could imagine Jason Bay hitting seven homers in seven games again if he batted in the leadoff spot.

I would only consider benching Freddy for Rivas for a couple of games.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:03 am 

See, you guys got it all wrong. Save yourself the aggravation. I quit watching after the 5th, allowed my wife to put on the Lifetime channel, and felt my blood pressure reduce to the point where the veins in my neck were no longer visible! After the movie, I jumped down to FSN to hear Rob King say we lost 9-6, then went to bed in a very peaceful state of mind. After 15 years of this sort of thing, there has to be some sort of physiological disorder attributable to Pirates fans. I know I have it. Some scientist is missing out on an opportunity to make a name for him or herself.

As for the game, is there a reason why JR would forgo Grabow for Burnett? This was an important game (well at least for a Pirates fan) and I'd think you'd want to give yourself the best chance to win. What's even more baffling is that Grabow hasn't pitched since 6/10. I would have let him go two innings.

6 Runs against the O's should be plenty enough to win.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:23 am 

I left to take a quick dip, walk the dog and then take another quick dip. It went from 6-1 to 6-6 just as I checked in. These two teams are eerily similar. I watched a couple of their recent games just to see what the team was like and found many things that reminded me of the Bucs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:38 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
3.) Make Doumit the DH

I would leadoff with Bay, put Rivas in for Freddy, Mientkiewicz at 1B.

Rest Sanchez and Nady and keep LaRoche and Bautista on the Bench.

I agree with giving Gomez a start at 3rd, however, you are sacrificing a lot of offense with sitting Nady and putting Doumit in the DH and starting Chavez behind the plate. I know Nady will not be the DH every night, but I don't mind see him that way in these line-ups, especially considering the play of Michaels last night -- both offensively and defensively. Made a very nice catch and had a very good read on a single afterwards that might have otherwise cost a run.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:47 pm 

The reason I want Chavez in there is because I think he handles the pitchers better and we need that against these AL teams. Use Doumit as the DH to keep his bat in the game. Nady and Michaels can split time in RF to rest Nady when he needs it. Bautista, as far as I'm concerned looks terrible at the plate. He needs to sit on the Bench. That's why I would play Gomez at 3B. Sanchez needs to sit too. That's why I would have Rivas start at 2B. Mientkiewicz starts at 1B because LaRoche can't hit a baseball.

I don't think we would lose any offensive production having Gomez, Rivas, and Mientkiewicz in the lineup considering the lack of offense by Sanchez, LaRoche, and Bautista when they are playing. Actually, I think Rivas, Mientkiewicz, and Gomez can provide more offense than the other three right now anyways.