Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Smizik's column
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:33 pm 

Ollie wrote:
If the Pirates wanted to spend $10 million on a player weren't there quality pitchers in Japan we could have tried? What are the Dodgers paying Kuroda? I realize it's a risk (Igawa hasn't done much for the Yanks.)

I'm not entirely sure Dave Littlefield would be capable of finding Japan on a map, let alone recruiting quality pitchers from that country.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm 

Quote:
Littlefield, clearly, was a desperate man when he made this trade. He was trying to save his job and not even his top advisers, the ones still on the payroll, would have been able to talk him out of this.

Here's a question: if you were trying to save your job as, say, a network administrator, would you do so by purchasing a prohibitively expensive server that hadn't worked reliably for the past half-decade or so?

I don't get this reasoning that DL was trying to save his job. More likely, he knew he was getting canned and decided to hide the proverbial turd in his boss's office on his way out the door. (Find a pic for that!) I see more malice in the Morris trade than incompetence.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:41 pm 

Good point, Slaphead. I knew something smelled funny!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:14 pm 

1) If turds = bad deals, then the bosses office must have been a bathroom. Which reminds me, whatever happened to Estragand?
2) Smizik sux!!!!
3) As has already been mentioned, the owner shouldn't be the one answering to baseball decisions unless his name is Steinbrenner. Nutting is responsible for hiring a competent president and GM, which he seems to have done. Those baseball people must then hire other good baseball people which won't happen overnight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:23 pm 

bradf wrote:
1) If turds = bad deals, then the bosses office must have been a bathroom. Which reminds me, whatever happened to Estragand?
2) Smizik sux!!!!
3) As has already been mentioned, the owner shouldn't be the one answering to baseball decisions unless his name is Steinbrenner. Nutting is responsible for hiring a competent president and GM, which he seems to have done. Those baseball people must then hire other good baseball people which won't happen overnight.

I agree on points 1 and 2 100% Brad. I also agree partly with point 3.

The owners shouldn't make baseball decisions, etc. However, he still signs off on them, especially deals that account for 25% of the payroll. If everyone one this board knew that was a bad deal, Nutting should have too. He could have vetoed it.

As for McClatchy, I agree he deserves his share of the blame. Both he and Nutting are factors in getting this team to this point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:37 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
More likely, he knew he was getting canned and decided to hide the proverbial turd in his boss's office on his way out the door. (Find a pic for that!)

Littlefield's Office:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:21 pm 

Argentum wrote:
More likely, he knew he was getting canned and decided to hide the proverbial turd in his boss's office on his way out the door. (Find a pic for that!)

Littlefield's Office:

How could I have ever doubted you?

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:33 pm 

How could I have ever doubted you?

Never underestimate the idiocy of an idiot!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:52 pm 

From some of the talk I've heard on radio shows and in the paper, Littlefield rarely took the advice of some of his people working for him...like in the draft last season...
Maybe there was a big falling out afterwards from that, maybe Littlefield lost the front office, just like Tracy lost the clubhouse...

If you arent a baseball guy like someone like Nutting, who was not involved until last season, and saw a pitcher who was an All-Star for St. Louis making $10 Million and you heard your GM wants him, you might be swayed to think your GM is getting you an All-Star, who knows, Littlefield might have thought the same thing...

Needless to say, Littlefield was fired soon after, and probably alot had to do with the public outcry for the 2nd time (3rd if you count the walkout) in 2 months...I'm sure Nutting wasnt too happy with hearing the fans getting upset, whether it be less butts in the seats for bobbleheads and fireworks, or people actually coming to see the game

Nutting may not be a baseball guy but the longer he is the guy in charge, from the looks of it, there will be baseball people in the organization to run it...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:59 pm 

Quote:
Littlefield, clearly, was a desperate man when he made this trade. He was trying to save his job and not even his top advisers, the ones still on the payroll, would have been able to talk him out of this.

Here's a question: if you were trying to save your job as, say, a network administrator, would you do so by purchasing a prohibitively expensive server that hadn't worked reliably for the past half-decade or so?

I don't get this reasoning that DL was trying to save his job. More likely, he knew he was getting canned and decided to hide the proverbial turd in his boss's office on his way out the door. (Find a pic for that!) I see more malice in the Morris trade than incompetence.

Yeah, that's probably it. It's not like he'd ever need to get another job or anything.

Given the mountains of evidence we have that Littlefield was absolutely incapable of evaluating talent, why is it so hard to believe that he actually thought he was making a good deal?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:01 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
From some of the talk I've heard on radio shows and in the paper, Littlefield rarely took the advice of some of his people working for him...like in the draft last season...

I heard the same thing from the mouth of a front office person more than a year before Littlefield was canned.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:52 am 

BBF wrote:
Ollie wrote:
If the Pirates wanted to spend $10 million on a player weren't there quality pitchers in Japan we could have tried? What are the Dodgers paying Kuroda? I realize it's a risk (Igawa hasn't done much for the Yanks.)

I'm not entirely sure Dave Littlefield would be capable of finding Japan on a map, let alone recruiting quality pitchers from that country.

Total sabotage.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:13 pm 

sis,
I've been meaning to ask... do you correlate your avatar to the plight of the Pirates(constantly rolling a bulder up a hill only to have it rolled all the way down prior to reaching the top...for all eternity), or do you just dig the picture, or are you a Greek historian?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:28 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
sis,
I've been meaning to ask... do you correlate your avatar to the plight of the Pirates(constantly rolling a bulder up a hill only to have it rolled all the way down prior to reaching the top...for all eternity), or do you just dig the picture, or are you a Greek historian?

I chose the name many years ago for posting at a political forum. It was VERY appropriate for that venue. I don't know if you've ever gone to any of those places, but some of them are extremely nasty. Lots of namecalling and occasional threats of physical violence. You knew that the poster you were talking to was never going to concede even your most obvious points, let alone change his opinion, so I became Sisyphus. I only continued posting because there were many lurkers who read the posts, but didn't post themselves. Those folks may have had open minds.