Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bautista, Sanchez, and LaRoche
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:48 am 

At least Sanchez is hitting somewhat. Mr. LaRoche and Mr Bautista are holding this Pirate team back. Until the Pirates have a major upgrade offensively at 1B and 3B, I think they will always struggle to be a .500 team or better.

Post subject: Re: Bautista, Sanchez, and LaRoche
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:40 am 

what are the prospect s for an eventual replacement at 1B ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:52 am 

FANCH, the only logical prospect for 1B in the Pirate system would be Steve Pearce who is playing for their AAA team in Indianapolis, Indiana. I would bring him up now and let him play 1B. He couldn't do any worse than what LaRoche is doing right now!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:47 am 

I might bring Pearce up to play against the lefties. I guess Rivas would have to go down in that case. But Pearce hasn't earned a promotion.

Otherwise I would still give LaRoche more time. His career OPS is .809, while his OPS for this season is .641. Basically we have to keep running him out there and hope he gets back to normal, because we have no suitable replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:13 pm 

I'm all for getting LaRoche out of there ASAP, however, Pearce is struggling to hit the ball at AAA. So, I wouldn't be too surprised if Pearce came up and pulled a "Bixler".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:31 pm 

The Bucs need to seriously start looking for alternatives at 1B. Either that or Laroche needs to take a 50% cut in pay, representative of the time he spends stealing a paycheck.

But considering we're a few weeks away from him turning into a 900+ OPS hitter, and, as already mentioned, a lack of a suitable replacement, he needs to play.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:02 pm 

I'm all for an upgrade at first. Perhaps the trade deadline will bring someone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:36 pm 

I'm not a new member- just an old one with a new (more creative and original) handle. Anyway, there are a few young minor league first basemen that I wouldn't mind seeing us get at the deadline. To enumerate:

Brad Nelson- Milwaukee
Bryan LaHair- Seattle
Chase Headley- San Diego (3B, LF, but he could play 1B)
Jarod Saltalamacchia- Texas
Jeff Larish- Detroit
Joe Koshansky- Colorado

Just to name a few.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I remember when the Pirates were going after the then Rockies 1st basemen Ryan Shealy. He was supposed to be a pretty big prospect. The Royals got him for Jeremy Affeldt. I was livid. Well, Shealy is rotting with the Omaha Royals hitting .230. Wrong again, IA Pirate!

#15 Kansas State Wildcats (1-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-1)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
11:00 AM CST
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:53 pm 

doug frobel.. hmmm.. now we're all wondering who you were before.. mr.crawdad? his_jazzyness? The_Tracy_Turnaround??

I remember Doug Frobel well. Saw him make a great sliding catch on TV once against the Cubs. He was on some very bad Pirates teams. He wore # 51, right? Then he came here to Cleveland for a cup of coffee. He played in the outfield with a rookie named Joey Belle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:42 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I remember when the Pirates were going after the then Rockies 1st basemen Ryan Shealy. He was supposed to be a pretty big prospect. The Royals got him for Jeremy Affeldt. I was livid. Well, Shealy is rotting with the Omaha Royals hitting .230. Wrong again, IA Pirate!

Rumor has it that the Rangers might be persuaded to part with Chris Shelton...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:10 pm 

I agree that they are holding us back, but there's nothing much we can do about it for now. The other options aren't very appealing. Just ride it out with what we have and hope they start hitting better.

Also, assuming that Alvarez has the future 3rd base job locked up, if Pearce doesn't come through, is there any chance that Neil could move to 1st?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:25 pm 

I guess Walker could be an option at 1st, but he needs to start showing he can hit too...

Saltalamacchia is not going anywhere...Texas is waiting for Laird to get traded or his contract to expire to allow him to play catcher everyday.

Another option, and one that might be cheap and short term until something else comes up is Jay Gibbons.
He sent a letter to all MLB GM's the other day wishing to let it be known he wants to play ball again, and is healthy...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3437067

Quote:
I am so willing to prove myself as a player, and a person, that I will donate ALL of my minor league earnings to your Club's charity. In the event that I earn the right to play at the major league level, I will gladly donate a significant sum to that same charity.

Once again, all I need is a chance and I will prove that I can be an extremely productive player and a great addition to your organization.

And infact to get back into baseball before any GM comes calling i, hes going to join the Atlantic League.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3439008
Quote:
Shortly after his letter to every team in the major leagues seeking a second chance was made public, former Orioles outfielder Jay Gibbons learned he was about to land a job with a pro baseball team.

Gibbons says he expects to sign with a team in the independent Atlantic League and be back in uniform within days, The Baltimore Sun reported. The outfielder, who was named in the Mitchell report and acknowledged using human growth hormone, had been without a job since he was released by the Orioles a the end of training camp.

"I want to continue my career and start over," Gibbons said, according to the report. "This is an opportunity, and that is all I have been looking for."

Minor League Deal, Lefty Power Bat, can play 1st...I think its worth trying...He cut the $10 Million Man Matt Morris, why not the Minor League Mitchell Report Man Gibbons, if he fails?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:03 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
At least Sanchez is hitting somewhat. Mr. LaRoche and Mr Bautista are holding this Pirate team back. Until the Pirates have a major upgrade offensively at 1B and 3B, I think they will always struggle to be a .500 team or better.

In what universe is Sanchez "hitting somewhat"? His OPS for the year is .584. Over the last seven days its .558. Over the last two weeks its .614. Over the last four weeks its .543. Sanchez is not hitting at all, and he's been very consistent about it.

The Pirates are currently 5th in the league in scoring. Their hitting isn't what has them struggling to reach .500. Their pitching has given up the most runs in the league, and that's what is holding them down.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:34 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

In what universe is Sanchez "hitting somewhat"? His OPS for the year is .584. Over the last seven days its .558. Over the last two weeks its .614. Over the last four weeks its .543. Sanchez is not hitting at all, and he's been very consistent about it.

The Pirates are currently 5th in the league in scoring. Their hitting isn't what has them struggling to reach .500. Their pitching has given up the most runs in the league, and that's what is holding them down.

And you too Mr. Sisyphus. You seem to be a most disagreeable fellow. I have stated before that Freddy is stinky up the joint as recently as today in another thread. And yes, I DO REALIZE that our starting pitching has overall been the reason why the Pirates have the disappointing record that they do have. The pitching is starting to come around lately. Let's hope Snell and Gorzo continue in the right direction and Duke, Maholm (minus some careless innings), and Dumatrait continue to provide strong outings.

And this is just for you Sisyphus:

FREDDY SANCHEZ STINKS RIGHT NOW AND HE NEEDS TO BE MOVED DOWN IN THE LINEUP OR BENCHED FOR A FEW GAMES OR BOTH.

And, I really do mean that. And further, the Pirate record is really not that disappointing considering the bad start out of the gate they had because of their starting pitching. Actually the Pirate record is very encouraging considering.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:19 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

And you too Mr. Sisyphus. You seem to be a most disagreeable fellow. I have stated before that Freddy is stinky up the joint as recently as today in another thread. And yes, I DO REALIZE that our starting pitching has overall been the reason why the Pirates have the disappointing record that they do have. The pitching is starting to come around lately. Let's hope Snell and Gorzo continue in the right direction and Duke, Maholm (minus some careless innings), and Dumatrait continue to provide strong outings.

And this is just for you Sisyphus:

FREDDY SANCHEZ STINKS RIGHT NOW AND HE NEEDS TO BE MOVED DOWN IN THE LINEUP OR BENCHED FOR A FEW GAMES OR BOTH.

And, I really do mean that. And further, the Pirate record is really not that disappointing considering the bad start out of the gate they had because of their starting pitching. Actually the Pirate record is very encouraging considering.

That's a big change from Freddy Sanchez is "hitting somewhat".

Sorry if I seem to be a disagreeable fellow. I often agree with something another poster says, but I see no point to polluting the forum with a bunch of "attaboy" type posts, so I try to keep those to a minimum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 pm 

I can't imagine that Bautista has a whole lot of market value at this point. IF the Pirates had another option at 3rd, they'd be better off dumping Rivas and making the Jose the multi-position utility man off the bench.