Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crow and Scheppers Sign with teams
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:58 pm 

Quote:
2008 draft holdouts Aaron Crow and Tanner Scheppers are closing in on a deals with the Royals and Rangers, respectively. Crow, who chose not to sign with the Nationals last season, will receive a major league contract somewhere between 3 and 4.5 million dollars, according to ESPN.com. Crow, who pitched for the independent Fort Worth Cats leading up to the draft, compiled a 23-8 record with a 3.33 ERA in 52 games during his collegiate career at Missouri.

Scheppers is another story. Scheppers was drafted with the 48th overall pick last year by the Pirates, but chose not to sign. Scheppers was projected to be a top 15 pick coming into the draft, but a stress fracture hurt his stock. He rehabbed and pitched for the Saint Paul Saints leading up to the draft. It was his third time going through the draft process, so he knew what to expect. Scheppers gave me an exclusive interview leading up to the draft, and said it was all about getting in the right mindset and knowing what to not let phase you as the draft approaches.

Both pitchers will pitch in Instructional Leagues next month.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2009/9/17/1 ... row-tanner

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Crow and Scheppers Sign with teams
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:14 pm 

Last year, I think that Crow was offered $3.5M guaranteed. From what I've read, he signed a deal for $3M guaranteed with incentives up to $4.5M. Once you factor in taxes and a year lost towards arbitration and interest that could have been earned over the past 12 months . . . was it really worth holding out? Looks like a poor decision to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:15 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Last year, I think that Crow was offered $3.5M guaranteed. From what I've read, he signed a deal for $3M guaranteed with incentives up to $4.5M. Once you factor in taxes and a year lost towards arbitration and interest that could have been earned over the past 12 months . . . was it really worth holding out? Looks like a poor decision to me.

Which is worse...Being in the Royals organization or being in the Nationals organization?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:08 pm 

What did the Pirates offer to Scheppers last year? Was it over $1M? I seem to recall that it was somewhere in the $750K to $1M range but that Scheppers was looking for higher end first round money. Sounds like the contract signed by Scheppers was for just over $1M. Another questionable decision by the player.