Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I got sick when I read the PG this morning....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:41 pm 

If all the losing wasn't bad enough and the fact no decent free agents want to sign here but now we can't even pay quality coaches to stay here. Ugh.

Post subject: Re: I got sick when I read the PG this morning....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:30 pm 

One of the things none of the kool aid drinkers on this board seem to want to address, and this may have something to do with it, is that NH and FC seem to have a credibility problem.

Perry King alluded to it when he mentioned he may not come back, he alluded he was led to believe that he would be working with guys like Jack and Freddy, then that changed. McClouth was told he was part of the foundation of the future, then traded. On and on. Even the fans believe they've been conned. It is to the point where if NH told me it was raining outside I'd have to go look out the window to be sure. I don't know if Kerrigan feels the same, but one might reasonably suspect so.

Sure, situations change. But, if you think they might, you don't shoot off your mouth and say definitive things then change them almost immediately. If no one trusts you, then you've got a problem that is almost insurmountable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:50 pm 

Taken for fools

Remember the song by The Who that says "don't get fooled again." That's for fans of the Pirates.

After all these years and nearly a generation of fans not able to know quality baseball in Pittsburgh, it is the truth. Rebuilding, five-year plans, whatever. It's a shame that a beautiful place like PNC Park gets large crowds only for bobbleheads and fireworks.

What about putting forth the needed ways to get a quality product? Seeing the recent list of all the players since Sid Bream slid into home at Fulton County Stadium ("17 the Tragic Number," Sept. 8 Sports) should be numbing, but it's like getting a cortisone shot in the knee without lidocaine.

Hey, Pittsburgh, people have been told not to drink the Kool-Aid, but I guess the bobbleheads, fireworks and overpriced bad food without even a .500 season show you really have drunk it up. Being a loyal fan is one thing, but being taken advantage of and treated as an idiot is totally different.

STEVE BLOOM
Moon

From...
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09261/998861-110.stm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:40 pm 
 WWW  Profile

estrago wrote:
Taken for fools

Remember the song by The Who that says "don't get fooled again." That's for fans of the Pirates.

After all these years and nearly a generation of fans not able to know quality baseball in Pittsburgh, it is the truth. Rebuilding, five-year plans, whatever. It's a shame that a beautiful place like PNC Park gets large crowds only for bobbleheads and fireworks.

What about putting forth the needed ways to get a quality product? Seeing the recent list of all the players since Sid Bream slid into home at Fulton County Stadium ("17 the Tragic Number," Sept. 8 Sports) should be numbing, but it's like getting a cortisone shot in the knee without lidocaine.

Hey, Pittsburgh, people have been told not to drink the Kool-Aid, but I guess the bobbleheads, fireworks and overpriced bad food without even a .500 season show you really have drunk it up. Being a loyal fan is one thing, but being taken advantage of and treated as an idiot is totally different.

STEVE BLOOM
Moon

From...
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09261/998861-110.stm

You know what, you are correct. What was I thinking? I think I'll just switch teams today. That's it, today I'm officially a Red Sox fan. I'll throw everything Pirates out the window, light a bonfire and watch it bake. The years that you have said the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over have finally sunk in. You know what, maybe I should quit supporting Iowa State as well. They haven't been to a bowl game in three years yet some people remain upbeat. What fools! Today, I'm officially a Florida Gators fan.

Did I miss anything? I'm really glad you preached your sermon to us all these years. I finally can look myself in the mirror and realize I can support a winning team! After all, that is what life is all about, supporting a winning team!

Now, if I can just pick a high school team to support. I hear my old school was only 3-7 last season...

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:46 pm 

Please don't quote the guy. I have him on iggie for a reason. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:20 pm 

A thread about whether we can or cannot retain a coaching staff gets hijacked into the same tired rant. Add this thread to the pile of them that BH has shat all over. Ignoring him doesnt work if conversation after conversation is hijacked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:11 pm 

IA Pirate
Who said to be a fan of another team? That letter was just ststing not to support the Pirates

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

estrago wrote:
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

You're correct, I'll just quit watching baseball in general.

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 pm 

Beyond all the crap in this thread, is anyone else concerned about the impact losing Kerrigan would have on our young pitching staff? Nothing like 3 pitching coaches in three years all with their individual tweaks to really screw up a young stable of arms. Heck, how many years did it take to straighten out Duke from the adjustments make by tracy's staff?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:07 pm 

Chalk me up as a yes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:31 am 

I can't watch baseball until the playoffs start. I have some interest in the Tigers-Twins series only because I listen to Detroit radio every morning. Wouldn't it be something if the Twins catch Detroit after being mediocre all year?

Meanwhile I'm listening to Cleveland sports talk now and the host refuses to talk about the Indians. Ha! The local hosts say that everyone who goes to Indians games are fools. Ha!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:04 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
One of the things none of the kool aid drinkers on this board seem to want to address, and this may have something to do with it, is that NH and FC seem to have a credibility problem.

Perry King alluded to it when he mentioned he may not come back, he alluded he was led to believe that he would be working with guys like Jack and Freddy, then that changed. McClouth was told he was part of the foundation of the future, then traded. On and on. Even the fans believe they've been conned. It is to the point where if NH told me it was raining outside I'd have to go look out the window to be sure. I don't know if Kerrigan feels the same, but one might reasonably suspect so.

Sure, situations change. But, if you think they might, you don't shoot off your mouth and say definitive things then change them almost immediately. If no one trusts you, then you've got a problem that is almost insurmountable.

Perry who??