Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DK's tone.....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:19 pm 

.....since the trades has taken a cynical and often times sarcastic tone. Does anyone else sense this?

Post subject: Re: DK's tone.....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:30 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
.....since the trades has taken a cynical and often times sarcastic tone. Does anyone else sense this?

What kind of writer is he anyway? He needs to be letting everyone know the Pirates are on the right path. All is well in the near future. Lets Go Bucs. Shame on him for having those evil undertones. I dont understand why he might be skeptical of the Pirates management/ownership. I mean c'mon, Nutting is new on the scene. Cant he see that the best management team in baseball, maybe all of sports knows how to provide a above standard baseball product at the MLB level. Gee DK, jump on the caravan and enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:49 pm 

BH...answer me this...are you ever going to leave? Even if we ask nicely? Because its gotten to the point that if you don't, I plan to. Just let me know, ok?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

What, and let the trolls win?

Just ban him. Wait, he already is?

I never understood this concept that if you are banned, one can simply change and IP address and not be banned. BH under any name is simply BH.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:05 pm 

BBF wrote:
BH...answer me this...are you ever going to leave? Even if we ask nicely? Because its gotten to the point that if you don't, I plan to. Just let me know, ok?

Is DK going to leave or is he going to have cynical sarcastic tones to his coverage? Is Rob Rogers going to leave the PG and stop posting cartoons poking fun at the Pirates. Will The Pgh media stop all their negative articles, comments & opinions?
Or will the Pirates ever have a winning team? Will they give the fans a sense of pride and joy that comes along more often than two decades of futility and disgrace. I guess people like me and the cynical sarcastic media are to blame and who to point the fingers at for the the root of evil for the local MLB baseball team stinking to high heaven.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:19 pm 

I don't know what BH or estrago or whoever he is said since I have him on ignore, but I can make a pretty well educated guess. If you read the post, I referred to his tone, not what he said. I have found this paricularly in evidence in his recent Q and A's. He takes a far too regional slant in both his writing and general sense. I can speak personally to this. This does however play right into the psyche of western Pa. which takes itself and the perceived disrespect towards the area a bit too seriously. Remember, just MHO. :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:22 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I never understood this concept that if you are banned, one can simply change and IP address and not be banned.

Here here. I'd go even one step further and argue that BH is getting preferential treatment over others who have been banned but lack the ability to get another IP address. Are we banning the person or just the name that person posts as?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:25 pm 

huh?...estrago posted?...where?...who the heck is BH? Buck Henry?...I remember him from Saturday Night Live...but he was funny...and not a troll?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:25 pm 

If he posts and everyone has him on ignore, does he make a sound? 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
If he posts and everyone has him on ignore, does he make a sound? 8-)

Two problems with the "ignore" feature:

1 - You still see his name and know that..........

2 - Some people on this board are receptive to his babblings and will continue to address them, thus forcing those who want no part of him to see his posts even if they have him on "ignore"

The ignore function is benign to the extreme.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:24 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Yes, to the point where I have stopped reading his work. His job is not to be a disgruntled fan of the club, but on the other side of the coin, not a puppet. Just the facts DK, nothing but the facts and I will be back to read.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:20 am 
 WWW  Profile

DK's is one of the three or four websites I visit every morning. I love the work he has done covering the Pirates. Before he joined the beat the coverage was amazingly poor. I have no complaints at all.

Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:02 pm 

Every discussion morphs into a discussion about the troll, which is killing the board.

Dejan has become more cynical and sarcastic, which is appropriate under the circumstances.

And Pittsburgh does have a bit of an attitude problem, like the short guy in the bar who needs to pick a fight to show how tough he is, or is not.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:32 pm 

What I have found interesting is the position of the new "line" between being a beat writer and a columnist and the popularity of "blogs."

As a beat writer, I think that DK does a good job of being a reporter. I have sensed more subjectivity in his writing as the year progressed with his use of particular adjectives which, while accurate, allow subjectivity to encroach upon otherwise objective reporting.

However, I think that DK's blog allows him to somewhat shed the beat writer role and move towards being a columnist. He certainly does not become a Smizik, Cook or Collier but I think that the format allows DK more freedom to express opinions rather than reporting facts. If asked about this, I'm not sure how he would respond (my guess is that he'd likely say that it is not his job to opine; it is his job to report). However, I think that it is rather clear that his blog allows him the opportunity to vent some of his frustration; albeit in a much less obvious (more subtle) manner than if he was paid to offer opinions in a column.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:34 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Every discussion morphs into a discussion about the troll, which is killing the board.

Dejan has become more cynical and sarcastic, which is appropriate under the circumstances.

And Pittsburgh does have a bit of an attitude problem, like the short guy in the bar who needs to pick a fight to show how tough he is, or is not.

What does that mean? We have an attitude problem? Also, being sarcastic and cynical is NOT appropriate behaviour from a professional beat writer. He is not supposed to lean in either direction. If he is a fan and wants to express himself regularly, then become a blogger, otherwise, report the news as it comes. Simple.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Maybe DK is finally coming around to what the VOR has been trying to tell everyone. Pirates ownership is a scam. Pgh is the sucker. They'll do it again. McCutcheon will be traded for 3rd rate prospects before 5 year plan is up.
Do you think the Pirates can win 70 games next year?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:07 pm 

VOR wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Maybe DK is finally coming around to what the VOR has been trying to tell everyone. Pirates ownership is a scam. Pgh is the sucker. They'll do it again. McCutcheon will be traded for 3rd rate prospects before 5 year plan is up.
Do you think the Pirates can win 70 games next year?

Too bad the VOR is not a VOR.