Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Since I was home in Pittsburgh....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:33 pm 

I got home on my vacation the first weekend in August.

And on Saturday August 1 Andrew McCutcheon hit three homers in one game as the Bucs beat the miserable Nationals for the second time and they were at 45 wins! And now six weeks later,

did you guys get that I said SIX WEEKS LATER they have a grand total of 55!!!!!!!!

1.3 wins a week. Wow, amazing baseball. I am so proud to be a fan!!! Its 1987 all over again!

Oh and get this. You know what their over/under Vegas number was at the beginning of the season?????

65 wins!!!!! They won't even make that!

And we have all this hope for the future because we know that Nutting will open up the purse strings and sign one or two real free agents right? Or we will trade some of these "can't miss/sure fire prospects" for some real major league talent right?

No, this winter we will sign another ash heap fifth starter and invite a bunch of Quad A losers to camp and continue the revolving door that makes up the Pirates major league bench.

And we will be told that this reeking, steaming pile of human excrement that has taken the field since the latest series of fire sales at the end of July will become a contender.

Of course that will last until we are 30 games out again and trade Doumit at the deadline, and if you look carefully, you will see that Maholm and Duke are already developing thier case of "Denny Neagle/Jason Schmidt/Kris Benson Syndrome" (i.e. Who cares about stepping up and being a top starter for this lousy organiation. All I have to do is show some potential and I will be dealt to a contender at teh break)

And the payroll should be around 30 million next year, which we all know what that means. Nutting makes a profit even if the attendence is ZERO!

I repeat; Nutting pockets money even if the attendence is zero!

Yeah, future looks so bright!

Post subject: Re: Since I was home in Pittsburgh....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:36 pm 

Be careful.....you are not permitted to talk like that on this board.

To be a member here, you've got to talk about how they have a shot at some slam bam "prospect" high school pitcher from Georgia or somewhere, and say that 2011 will be the year. Then, you bad mouth the non believers and how they don't "get it".

Following the party line is a prerequisite for belonging here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:45 am 

Quote:
invite a bunch of Quad A losers to camp

That guy's name was Garrett Jones.

I understand your frustration, but it actually it still looks better than it did at this time last season, so at least we got some things to look forward to. I'll take baby steps over no steps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:05 am 

Quote:
Its 1987 all over again!

1987? As I recall, that was when we formed the nucleus of what would become the the 89-92 Pirates that dominated the league.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 am 

Corsair wrote:
And we have all this hope for the future because we know that Nutting will open up the purse strings and sign one or two real free agents right? Or we will trade some of these "can't miss/sure fire prospects" for some real major league talent right?

Dude, you are totally not understanding the plan.

We are supposed to have hope because the young players we have are going to be developed into real major league players.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:50 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
Be careful.....you are not permitted to talk like that on this board.

To be a member here, you've got to talk about how they have a shot at some slam bam "prospect" high school pitcher from Georgia or somewhere, and say that 2011 will be the year. Then, you bad mouth the non believers and how they don't "get it".

Following the party line is a prerequisite for belonging here.

I love the quotes around prospect. It really empathizes how you feel about players under the age of 20. Maybe we shouldn't be signing slam bam "prospects" from high school. Maybe we should stick with guys who are 32 and injured every other week. Yeah, that should get it done! If it hasn't worked for the past 17 years, it's bound to work now.
I always got the feeling that Dave Littlefield had this same sort of disdain for "prospects" which is why he drafted and signed so few good ones. So Mr Steve 1118 I ask you this.... Are you Dave Littlefield? Confess, now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:57 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Corsair wrote:

Dude, you are totally not understanding the plan.

We are supposed to have hope because the young players we have are going to be developed into real major league players.

I LOLed at this.
I did.
It's just SO funny that Corsair thought the plan was to trade the prospects for major league talent. FUNNY!
Uhhh. You do know that when we traded for J Bay, Freddy, Jack and the rest of the good players that we've had that they were prospects, right?
I can't believe you thought we would turn around and trade Alderson for Miguel Tejada or something like that.
WTF!?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:15 pm 

1987? As I recall, that was when we formed the nucleus of what would become the the 89-92 Pirates that dominated the league.

^ There it is. I love when raggers spew crap, then have their facts wrong and get owned.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:32 pm 

bradf wrote:
Quote:
Its 1987 all over again!

Uh, you do recognize sarcasm don't you? I think that was the point of that reference. i.e. that that Bucco team finished 27-11 and gave us all hope over the winter, wheras this team has shown zero fire or guts down the stretch and absolutely ZERO hope as this crew takes the field in Bradenton next spring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:31 pm 

Henry Clay Sr. wrote:
bradf wrote:
Quote:
Its 1987 all over again!

Uh, you do recognize sarcasm don't you? I think that was the point of that reference. i.e. that that Bucco team finished 27-11 and gave us all hope over the winter, wheras this team has shown zero fire or guts down the stretch and absolutely ZERO hope as this crew takes the field in Bradenton next spring.

Uhhhh, yeah, THAT'S what he was referring to. Sure it is. See, that's sarcasm. What Corsair was doing, was NOT sarcasm. It's called getting your crap confused. It's called forgetting that sometimes the good times come after the bad times.
To suggest that he was doing this on purpose somehow is disingenuous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:12 pm 

JimY wrote:
It's called forgetting that sometimes the good times come after the bad times.

.....and it's Always Darkest Just Before Pitch Black
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:38 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
Quote:

I understand your frustration, but it actually it still looks better than it did at this time last season, so at least we got some things to look forward to. I'll take baby steps over no steps.

Oh you mean the #3 or #4 hitter who hits .400 with the bases empty and about .080 with men on?

Yeah, better start printing those World Series ducats now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:44 am 

Corsair wrote:
urbanexplorer wrote:
Quote:

Oh you mean the #3 or #4 hitter who hits .400 with the bases empty and about .080 with men on?

Yeah, better start printing those World Series ducats now.

If we want to be technical about it, he's hitting .250 with men on.
Still, your point is not totally wrong.
I'd still rather have him out there than Nate "I refuse to play a corner OF spot even though my defense is ass" McLouth.
Jones has 1 more HR than Nate, in about half the AB's.
Bay is hitting .268 with runners on BTW. Not that much better than Jones. And he is going to go away and make $14 mil during the declining years of his career.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 pm 

Quote:
Bay is hitting .268 with runners on BTW. Not that much better than Jones. And he is going to go away and make $14 mil during the declining years of his career.

I'm almost positive Bay has already turned 14 down. I think it'll be at least 15 for 4/yrs and probably more (maybe 5 yrs). Boston has no choice but to pay him whatever he wants so I expect him to be WAY overpaid.

BTW - Good for Jay Bay though he deserves it as much as anyone.