Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A stroll down memory lane
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:10 pm 

Fun story in the Post-Gazette today on Roy Face, how he changed relief pitching, and what he'd be earning if he were pitching today as he did at the height of his career. I was a senior in high school when he went 18-1 for the Bucs back in 1959 and helped set the stage for their pennant-winning 1960 season. (For a salary that topped out at $42,500.)

Over the winters, he worked as a carpenter on Long Island to supplement his income.

He's 81 now (how time flies!). Odd to read a story calling him "Mr. Face," however, and catcher Hank Foiles "Mr. Foiles."

Ah, the nights spent listening to Bob Prince and Jim Woods do the play-by-play of those games on the radio. Prince used to call Face "the Baron of the bullpen."

Post subject: Re: A stroll down memory lane
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:11 am 

Hi Bob in Boston, Sure, as one of the "old timers" here I sure do remember the Buccos from that era....great and exciting baseball and Bob Prince and Jim Woods were wonderful at relaying the action! Elroy was a little guy, only about 5'8" I think. But, he always walked in with great confidence and purpose, and usually got the job done! Roy used to live in Penn Hills and after the Pirates won the '60 World Series, I happened to meet him in Stadtlander's Pharmacy, not far from where he lived. He signed a LP I had (still have) of the '60 Bucs and their wonderful World Series win over the Yankees. Of course, as I think I mentioned here a couple of years ago, my dad and I were at the 7th game of that World Series, sitting in the bleachers when Maz hit THE HOMERUN! Will I ever be lucky enough to see something like that happen again? It is so sad to see this franchise now. I still live and die with my Buccos and it hurts. Are you still in Boston? I think I remember you writing that you were going to move back to Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:16 am 

I don't remember the '60 season, I was only 5....I started following in '64. But I remember well Prince and Woods and later Nellie King. On weeks like this, when the Bucs were on the west coast, I would sneak a transistor radio into my room and stay up half the night listening to the games. I would give anything to fall asleep again to the deep, soothing voice of Jim Woods or the gentle voice of Nellie King, only to jump up when Prince started yelling about a "bug on the rug" or a "gnat's eyelash" or "Arrrriba, Arrriba".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:47 pm 

Luckily I managed to catch Bob Prince in his last year.. what a voice!! I listened to him call the '75 NL playoffs when Candy Man struckout out 15 vs. Reds. I didn't know I could pick up KDKA before then. I remember Iron City Beer commercials.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 pm 

"When you're really ready to pour it on, pour on the Iron."
"Atlantic Red Ball Service."
"Bring out the Hoover"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:54 pm 

Hey, Doc, nice to hear from you again. Yes, I'm still in Massachusetts, alas, although retired now. But contemplating a return home to Pennsylvania, where my family lives. (I'm not from Pittsburgh, though; I grew up in Camp Hill, a suburb of Harrisburg.)

Back in the day, with an old tube radio and a copper antenna stretching the length of our back yard and tied off at the top of a tall tree, I could pull in KDKA and the Pirate broadcasts quite well after dark despite the mountains between us and Pittsburgh. No one could paint a word picture of a baseball game better than Prince and Woods. I remember as the '59 season wore on, it wasn't hard to tell that the Pirates were developing into something special. Only Smoky Burgess, Don Hoak, Harvey Haddix, and Face (of the guys who played regularly) were older than 28. They had a good rotation, terrific defense up the middle (Maz, Dick Groat, and Bill Virdon in CF), speed (Clemente), a fiery leader (Hoak), and a pretty good bench (Roman Mejias, Dick Schofield, Rocky Nelson).

Right now, imagining a return to that kind of success is difficult. But the Bucs have rewarded my loyalty with three world championships. I'm still optimistic that I'll see a fourth. They're no worse today than the teams of the early and mid-'50s were.

Last edited by Bob in Boston on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 pm 

Growing up in the 60's, my dad had a 10 transistor and had one spot in the house that seemed to be better for reception. It still would fade in and out. My most memorable memory was that it always seemed that when he turned the game on we would be ahead and then they would almost always be losing after listening for a short while. Probably wasn't true but it sure seemed like it. I had an 8 transistor Zenith and would listen at night to CKLW, Windsor, Ont. for the Motown, WLS, Chicago for some windy city rock, WABC New York and Cousin Brucie WBZ, Boston for Johnny Most and the Celtics and WKBW, Buffalo, the self coined "One of America's Two Great Radio Stations". Never figured out what the other was. Ah the days of AM radio.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:16 am 

Az, did you listen to WWWE Cleveland back in the day? The station is almost as old as KDKA but the call letters have been changed lots of times.

I mostly listened to KDKA the '70s (from Missouri.) WJR Detroit for a few Lions night games and WLS for Top 10 rock albums. My brother had a shortwave radio then. That made a big impression on me.

Picking up far off stations was exciting. Nowadays you can hear everything online. I still love radio!! We never even turn on our TV (we only get NBC anyway. Bad reception.)

I listen to the English programming of Radio Taiwan International every night on shortwave.