Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:36 pm 

I like the guy, I really do. I do not think he is an everyday major league baseball player. I have not liked him at first this season. I knew he looked different over there in some way, but I couldn't put my finger on it until John Wehner characterized his style as playing an active, aggressive, first base. I have since decided I'd rather have a giant lump over there that can't move. His aggressiveness has cost us on several occasions that I've seen, and I just don't think he's big enough to play the position. He gets pulled off the bag too much.

And don't get me started on his hitting...

Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:05 pm 

I actually think his defense isn't that bad, but fortunately for you I think our front office already is viewing him as a bench type guy at best due to the emergence of Jones who will probably be our full-time starter at first when Tabata gets here. This doesn't even account for Clement, and Pearce seems to be seeing less playing time lately already, so he may be the odd man out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:05 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
I actually think his defense isn't that bad, but fortunately for you I think our front office already is viewing him as a bench type guy at best due to the emergence of Jones who will probably be our full-time starter at first when Tabata gets here. This doesn't even account for Clement, and Pearce seems to be seeing less playing time lately already, so he may be the odd man out.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Pearce is almost a prototypical AAAA player. I think Jones will need work to be an everyday 1B defensively howerver, and I have no idea about Clement defensively. I'm still not convinced that it won't be Pedro in 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:02 pm 

Walker could be the lynchpin in that decision. I don't know if he will make it or not, but he is a nice looking ball player. Athletic build, good size, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:19 pm 

Lots of questions, not a lot of answers. I still like Jones as the long term first baseman. A tall, power-hitting lefty is ideal. That assumes Pedro can handle third.

Pearce, Moss, LaRoche, Walker, and Clement are all just long shots. None of them has proven they are a legit major leaguer. Nor am I ready to completely give up on any of them.

Wish we had a team full of real major leaguers, so these guys could fight their way up in AAA like Jones did.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:47 pm 

Add Young and even Milledge to your list of long shots. Or at least not sure things. I am really wondering what kind of hitter we have in Ronny Cedeno. Did he just figure something out when he got here? Of the ones you listed, I think Clement maybe has the most potential.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:55 pm 

I think Milledge is proving himself just fine. His bat has come around and his defense is a work in progress.

To me, here who I think is on the scrap heap:

- Moss
- Pearce
- LaRoche (when we get a REAL 3rd baseman)
- Virgil Vasquez
- Chris Bootcheck (just horrible)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:03 pm 

Yes, I'll agree he is playing well. It's just that I'm looking for more power from him, and in that regard, he hasn't proven himself.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:09 am 

I think it is still too early to give up on Moss and Laroche. Saying they are on the scrap heap is a little harsh. Brandon Moss posted OPS of .834 and .874 in 2 consecutive seasons at AAA at ages 23 and 24 respectively. Those are solid numbers are the right age. Andy Laroche posted OPS numbers over .900 in AAA at ages 22 and 23 although I will discount those a little playing at Las Vegas. I am not saying we should give these guys infinite chances, but don't call them scrap heap players just yet. Especially since both of them are well above average defenders.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:40 am 

IronKett25 wrote:
I think it is still too early to give up on Moss and Laroche. Saying they are on the scrap heap is a little harsh. Brandon Moss posted OPS of .834 and .874 in 2 consecutive seasons at AAA at ages 23 and 24 respectively. Those are solid numbers are the right age. Andy Laroche posted OPS numbers over .900 in AAA at ages 22 and 23 although I will discount those a little playing at Las Vegas. I am not saying we should give these guys infinite chances, but don't call them scrap heap players just yet. Especially since both of them are well above average defenders.

When is enough, enough??

LaRoche has almost 900 major league plate appearances...with an OPS of .642. Even this year...he has an OPS of .698. His OPS+ for his career is 72 (and only 85 this season). For comparison...Jack Wilson's career OPS+ is 78. Brandon Moss is in the same boat with 650 plate appearances.

And if Moss is an above average outfielder...he'd be playing full time.

Here's a list of current Pirates with a higher OPS than Pearce...
Jones
McCutchen
Cedeno
Young (by 8 points)
Milledge

When we have 3 outfielders and a first baseman that are all outhitting him...then sit him down. Right now...that's not true.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:37 pm 

Thunder wrote:
IronKett25 wrote:

When is enough, enough??

LaRoche has almost 900 major league plate appearances...with an OPS of .642. Even this year...he has an OPS of .698. His OPS+ for his career is 72 (and only 85 this season). For comparison...Jack Wilson's career OPS+ is 78. Brandon Moss is in the same boat with 650 plate appearances.

And if Moss is an above average outfielder...he'd be playing full time.

Here's a list of current Pirates with a higher OPS than Pearce...
Jones
McCutchen
Cedeno
Young (by 8 points)
Milledge

When we have 3 outfielders and a first baseman that are all outhitting him...then sit him down. Right now...that's not true.

I agree that there time is running out, but I think they should at least continue to get time until they are dethroned by Alvarez and Tabata. Andy especially is puzzling as his minor league track record indicates far more potential than what he is showing now. The Pirates cannot afford to give up on them because they were impatient to play guys like steve pearce or neil walker who have showed far less in the minors. There is nothing lost by continuing to give them time in the very near future. This season obviously is a waste and next season is more about seeing Lincoln/Alvarez/Tabata reach the majors than it is about winning 81 or more.