Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:36 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2575
I like the guy, I really do. I do not think he is an everyday major league baseball player. I have not liked him at first this season. I knew he looked different over there in some way, but I couldn't put my finger on it until John Wehner characterized his style as playing an active, aggressive, first base. I have since decided I'd rather have a giant lump over there that can't move. His aggressiveness has cost us on several occasions that I've seen, and I just don't think he's big enough to play the position. He gets pulled off the bag too much.

And don't get me started on his hitting...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:46 am
Posts: 429
Location: Rural Ridge, PA
I actually think his defense isn't that bad, but fortunately for you I think our front office already is viewing him as a bench type guy at best due to the emergence of Jones who will probably be our full-time starter at first when Tabata gets here. This doesn't even account for Clement, and Pearce seems to be seeing less playing time lately already, so he may be the odd man out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Boston
urbanexplorer wrote:
I actually think his defense isn't that bad, but fortunately for you I think our front office already is viewing him as a bench type guy at best due to the emergence of Jones who will probably be our full-time starter at first when Tabata gets here. This doesn't even account for Clement, and Pearce seems to be seeing less playing time lately already, so he may be the odd man out.


I pretty much agree with all of this. Pearce is almost a prototypical AAAA player. I think Jones will need work to be an everyday 1B defensively howerver, and I have no idea about Clement defensively. I'm still not convinced that it won't be Pedro in 2011.

_________________
Yinzers uber alles


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:02 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2575
Walker could be the lynchpin in that decision. I don't know if he will make it or not, but he is a nice looking ball player. Athletic build, good size, etc.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:19 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
Lots of questions, not a lot of answers. I still like Jones as the long term first baseman. A tall, power-hitting lefty is ideal. That assumes Pedro can handle third.

Pearce, Moss, LaRoche, Walker, and Clement are all just long shots. None of them has proven they are a legit major leaguer. Nor am I ready to completely give up on any of them.

Wish we had a team full of real major leaguers, so these guys could fight their way up in AAA like Jones did.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:47 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2575
Add Young and even Milledge to your list of long shots. Or at least not sure things. I am really wondering what kind of hitter we have in Ronny Cedeno. Did he just figure something out when he got here? Of the ones you listed, I think Clement maybe has the most potential.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1592
I think Milledge is proving himself just fine. His bat has come around and his defense is a work in progress.

To me, here who I think is on the scrap heap:

- Moss
- Pearce
- LaRoche (when we get a REAL 3rd baseman)
- Virgil Vasquez
- Chris Bootcheck (just horrible)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2575
Yes, I'll agree he is playing well. It's just that I'm looking for more power from him, and in that regard, he hasn't proven himself.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:09 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:38 pm
Posts: 28
I think it is still too early to give up on Moss and Laroche. Saying they are on the scrap heap is a little harsh. Brandon Moss posted OPS of .834 and .874 in 2 consecutive seasons at AAA at ages 23 and 24 respectively. Those are solid numbers are the right age. Andy Laroche posted OPS numbers over .900 in AAA at ages 22 and 23 although I will discount those a little playing at Las Vegas. I am not saying we should give these guys infinite chances, but don't call them scrap heap players just yet. Especially since both of them are well above average defenders.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:40 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:14 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Louisiana
IronKett25 wrote:
I think it is still too early to give up on Moss and Laroche. Saying they are on the scrap heap is a little harsh. Brandon Moss posted OPS of .834 and .874 in 2 consecutive seasons at AAA at ages 23 and 24 respectively. Those are solid numbers are the right age. Andy Laroche posted OPS numbers over .900 in AAA at ages 22 and 23 although I will discount those a little playing at Las Vegas. I am not saying we should give these guys infinite chances, but don't call them scrap heap players just yet. Especially since both of them are well above average defenders.

When is enough, enough??

LaRoche has almost 900 major league plate appearances...with an OPS of .642. Even this year...he has an OPS of .698. His OPS+ for his career is 72 (and only 85 this season). For comparison...Jack Wilson's career OPS+ is 78. Brandon Moss is in the same boat with 650 plate appearances.

And if Moss is an above average outfielder...he'd be playing full time.

Here's a list of current Pirates with a higher OPS than Pearce...
Jones
McCutchen
Cedeno
Young (by 8 points)
Milledge

When we have 3 outfielders and a first baseman that are all outhitting him...then sit him down. Right now...that's not true.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm done with the Steve Pearce experiment
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:37 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:38 pm
Posts: 28
Thunder wrote:
IronKett25 wrote:
I think it is still too early to give up on Moss and Laroche. Saying they are on the scrap heap is a little harsh. Brandon Moss posted OPS of .834 and .874 in 2 consecutive seasons at AAA at ages 23 and 24 respectively. Those are solid numbers are the right age. Andy Laroche posted OPS numbers over .900 in AAA at ages 22 and 23 although I will discount those a little playing at Las Vegas. I am not saying we should give these guys infinite chances, but don't call them scrap heap players just yet. Especially since both of them are well above average defenders.

When is enough, enough??

LaRoche has almost 900 major league plate appearances...with an OPS of .642. Even this year...he has an OPS of .698. His OPS+ for his career is 72 (and only 85 this season). For comparison...Jack Wilson's career OPS+ is 78. Brandon Moss is in the same boat with 650 plate appearances.

And if Moss is an above average outfielder...he'd be playing full time.

Here's a list of current Pirates with a higher OPS than Pearce...
Jones
McCutchen
Cedeno
Young (by 8 points)
Milledge

When we have 3 outfielders and a first baseman that are all outhitting him...then sit him down. Right now...that's not true.



I agree that there time is running out, but I think they should at least continue to get time until they are dethroned by Alvarez and Tabata. Andy especially is puzzling as his minor league track record indicates far more potential than what he is showing now. The Pirates cannot afford to give up on them because they were impatient to play guys like steve pearce or neil walker who have showed far less in the minors. There is nothing lost by continuing to give them time in the very near future. This season obviously is a waste and next season is more about seeing Lincoln/Alvarez/Tabata reach the majors than it is about winning 81 or more.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits