Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tonight's game versus the Phillies
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 pm 

Capps is healthy. He is throwing 95. Unfortunately, most of his pitches are flat and up. Heck Russell just said when he doesn't have down hill movement on his fastball they get hit. Stating the obvious. He just can't throw a pitch lower than mid thigh. That is instant trouble at any level.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
BTW, the Phillies TV crew was awfully damn smug in the top of the 9th.

I saw Lidge early in the season and thought that he was going to struggle. Batters are just laying off the slider, sitting on his 93 mph 4-seam, and crushing that pitch. His ERA is now over 7.00, he has given up 10 HR's in 48 innings, and has blown 9 saves. To put this in perspective, Matt Capps has much better stats this season. That is freaking scary.

So I cannot imagine why the Phillies announcers would be smug with a 1-run lead and Lidge on the mound.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm 

Remember, he was lights out and Houston and the bottom dropped out for him. I think we are seeing the same thing in Philly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Sub -
Don't be disappointed in McCutchen. A laser beam hit directly at a CFer is, by far, the toughest play for a CFer. I've seen the same thing happen to the best defensive CFers of our time (Edmonds, Griffey, Jones). Just a tough break.
No. 9

I know that but didn't want it to happen when it did. Really does show his determination after that. really neat.

Also noticed on the replays that Ohlendorf was the first one over the rail to get to the field for Cutch and Duke who didn't even play was fist pumping. That kind of win over the world champs is a great motivator.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 pm 

Capps = Lidge. Lidge = Capps. Ouch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:44 pm 

yeah but he was lights out last year. Of course hitters couldn't lay off the slider out of the zone. They made the adjustments, Lidge hasn't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 pm 

I'm starting to think Chavez might make a better closer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:49 pm 

Want to enjoy a nice article read this:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09237/993221-100.stm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 pm 

I'm starting to think about what a difference a year makes, last year at this time the team had tanked and was really flat. This year, everyone is playing hard and we have players on the way up (largely) instead of the way down or flat. It's exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
yeah but he was lights out last year. Of course hitters couldn't lay off the slider out of the zone. They made the adjustments, Lidge hasn't.

It also seems like Lidge cannot throw a good slider for a called strike this year. Last year, his slider was exploding at the last second and nipping the bottom of the strike zone on the way down out of the zone. Hitters would take it for a called strike, since the pitch was basically unhittable, or swing and miss at the pitch.

This year, the pitch is in the dirt most of the time. Lidge tried to throw the slider for a called strike to Cruz, hung the pitch, and it was lined into left field for a hit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 am 

BTW, anyone else think that Bixler was going to blow that scoring chance? Good throw and that guy is out by 3 miles. How in the hell can he decelerate while coming around third?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:45 am 

No. 9 wrote:
BTW, anyone else think that Bixler was going to blow that scoring chance? Good throw and that guy is out by 3 miles. How in the hell can he decelerate while coming around third?

Exactly. He had to hold up for a second to see if the line drive by Moss is caught, but it looked like he coasted into third. Werth was batting the ball around in right as if he was playing Whack-A-Mole. If Bixler had been thrown out, I would have lost it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:42 am 

Wow.

Just wow.

The usual Capps meltdown is surpassed by a now just as likely Lidge implosion.

I never knew failure could be one-upped so quickly... and at the hands of the Pirates!

Amazing that Capps gets credit for a 'Win' in this game, all things considered.

I'll take this win regardless, seeing as how the Bucs played fairly consistent througout, despite the Capper.

What is that now, six out of seven?

Good times!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:45 am 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Exactly. He had to hold up for a second to see if the line drive by Moss is caught, but it looked like he coasted into third. Werth was batting the ball around in right as if he was playing Whack-A-Mole. If Bixler had been thrown out, I would have lost it.

Bixler had made the turn, once he does that he has to look up to see where the play is, even if the third base coach has the red light sign. Things change and Bixler needs to be more in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 am 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

In fairness, Moss smoked that ball and if fielded cleanly there is NO way he tries to score. It was a clear play to advance one base. So he was "coasting" in to third because he was only going to advance to that base. I'm pretty sure you would have seen 99.9% of other players doing the same. Also, it sounded on the call by Brown and Walk that Beasley may have been a touch late in getting him going again after the bobble.

Arg...you have a point. His mistake was probably in not turning his head to see what was going on. If not a bobble, you want to see if he makes a bad throw and the ball gets away. So you are right he should be more alert that way. But I have no problem with him "coasting" in to third.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

In fairness, Moss smoked that ball and if fielded cleanly there is NO way he tries to score. It was a clear play to advance one base. So he was "coasting" in to third because he was only going to advance to that base. I'm pretty sure you would have seen 99.9% of other players doing the same. Also, it sounded on the call by Brown and Walk that Beasley may have been a touch late in getting him going again after the bobble.

Arg...you have a point. His mistake was probably in not turning his head to see what was going on. If not a bobble, you want to see if he makes a bad throw and the ball gets away. So you are right he should be more alert that way. But I have no problem with him "coasting" in to third.

Part of the problem is that when fans give up on a player, any situation where he can be held wrong, odds are he will be held wrong. Ask yourself, if Cutch had done the same type thing, would he recieve this scrutiny? Yes, he should have been more aware after reaching third, but in truth Cutch should have not charged in on that liner over his head either but there is no discussion of his culpability.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:41 am 

bucco boy wrote:
$20 Moss grounds into a double play. Any takers?

I thought the exact same thing at the time. He did hit to the right side though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:47 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Part of the problem is that when fans give up on a player, any situation where he can be held wrong, odds are he will be held wrong. Ask yourself, if Cutch had done the same type thing, would he recieve this scrutiny? Yes, he should have been more aware after reaching third, but in truth Cutch should have not charged in on that liner over his head either but there is no discussion of his culpability.

Yes and no. Will Bixler be scrutinized more? Sure. But the difference between him and Cutch is that Cutch will produce many more runs over the course of a season than Bixler ever will in his wildest dreams. Tonight's game is a perfect example. And it should be added that I've still not gotten over Bixler's base running gaffe at third base last year against the Cubs (was it the home opener or the game after?) in the bottom of the ninth. That run would have won the game!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Arg...you have a point. His mistake was probably in not turning his head to see what was going on. If not a bobble, you want to see if he makes a bad throw and the ball gets away.

He should have run hard into third and turned, in the event that the ball is bobbled in RF. He coasted into third, and looked shocked when Beasley began waving him home. He was not ready to pounce on Werth's mistake. He is obviously fast, and made it because of his foot speed.

Substitute2 wrote:

Apples and oranges. Bixler was brought into the game as a pinch runner and it takes no skill to go hard into third if you are the tying run. Werth is NOT going to throw to third base, ever, in that situation, so Bixler is going to be able to hit the bag hard and make the turn, looking to take advantage of a misplay by Werth.

Instead, he eased into third and was at a dead stop, with a stunned look on his face, when Beasley began waving him home. He looked like a kid who had lost his text book four days earlier, had not been taking notes in class, and who hears that a pop quiz is on the agenda.

McCutchen's body of work gives him much, much more room to misplay a ball. If McCutchen had extremely limited value, and was used solely as a defensive replacement and made that mistake, my response would be different - deservedly so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:38 pm 

Quote:
Instead, he eased into third and was at a dead stop, with a stunned look on his face, when Beasley began waving him home. He looked like a kid who had lost his text book four days earlier, had not been taking notes in class, and who hears that a pop quiz is on the agenda.

Actually, that is how he looks most of the time, which is part of the reason I don't think he will ever make it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next