Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tonight's game versus the Phillies
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 pm 

RAISE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap what a comeback.

Attachment:
JollyRoger2.jpg
JollyRoger2.jpg [ 37.73 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 pm 

Capps doesn't deserve that win

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:11 pm 

The Redeemer!
And to think . . . I'm sitting in the office cursing Russell's decision not to have McCutchen bunting to move Moss to 3rd base. I guess he was thinking that Young would have been walked intentionally to bring up Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:11 pm 

It's cool. Everyone knows that a win for a closer might as well be called a loss...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:12 pm 

Get used to it. Cutch is the real deal. Little payback from that loss in Philly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:13 pm 

JimY wrote:
It's cool. Everyone knows that a win for a closer might as well be called a loss...

I know. Still though...........

If Meek wasn't hurt I wouldn't be against moving Chavez to the closer role now......

Next year though Chavez needs to put into the closer role and Capps to the mid relief or traded.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm 

Wow...I didn't think of that. I think Cutch makes too much contact so I think they figured that worst case he would advance the runner.

Jones looked terrible tonight, as bad as he has since he came up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm 

And, oh yeah . . . now I am really upset that my hearing was moved. Would have loved to have been in PNC tonight.

Lost in all of this may be that Ohlendorf pitched a solid game tonight against a division leading team with a potent offense. This was not a watered down Reds or Brewers team. Ohlendorf is very quietly becoming a bright spot on the team this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:17 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Lost in all of this may be that Ohlendorf pitched a solid game tonight against a division leading team with a potent offense. This was not a watered down Reds or Brewers team. Ohlendorf is very quietly becoming a bright spot on the team this year.

I totally agree. I think Ohllie has been the best since the All Star Break. He did have too many fly ball outs tonight but I think he really deserved that win. Our offense doesn't since they left way too many men on base.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:18 pm 

Capps is in love with his fastball. That and just about every pitch he threw was thigh to waste high. The two ground ball outs he got were low fastballs. He just leaves too many pitches up in the zone. Ruiz is sitting fastball and kills it. He did not throw one change the whole inning. Who calls his pitches? If it is Doumit then he is too blame.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:21 pm 

Watch the highlights on MLB.com. There is a great shot from the side that keeps the camera on the dugout after Cutch hits it out. It's a great site watching this young team erupt.

Thanks for the birthday gift, Cutch! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:22 pm 

some neat points tonight:
1. It's now called the Ohlendorf trade not the Nady trade and we got Tabata as well.
2. Capps is not a closer for sure. Let's use someone else.
3. The always criticized Moss hit it to the right to move the runner. A baseball move, hit it hard and not only got the hit moved to second on the play to the plate. What a bum.
4. McCutchen is already great. Was very disappointed with him on the ball in the top of the 9th. Being the potential goat sure brought out the champion in him.
5.Enjoyable game to watch--- nice for our young kids.

Post subject: And There Was............
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:23 pm 

..........noooooooooooooooooo doubt about it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:24 pm 

It WAS nice to see Moss get a big hit. He has sucked AND had some bad luck. I would put Jesse Chavez in the closer's roll. No brainer. Heck, he can't do worse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:27 pm 

Really good comeback. When Capps got a ground ball out on the first pitch, I said to wife and son, "He better locate the fastball or throw something else, since they are up there swinging early."

Capps apparently does not notice what is obvious to all, and keeps pumping hittable fastballs, which are repeatedly pounded.

Loved the 9th inning hitting. None of those hits was a cheapie. Cutch misplayed the fly ball, and when I saw he was hitting third that inning, I thought that he might do something special.

Definitely did not expect Louis Cruz and Brandon Moss to smoke line drives ahead of him, however.

And Cutch just crushed that ball to right-center. He is a genuine, big-time hitter. He drives the ball with authority to every part of the park, has a decent idea of the strike zone that is going to help him avoid slumps, and will earn his share of dribblers and and bleeders as hits, given his speed.

Post subject: A Few Thoughts...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
some neat points tonight:
1. It's now called the Ohlendorf trade not the Nady trade and we got Tabata as well.
2. Capps is not a closer for sure. Let's use someone else.
3. The always criticized Moss hit it to the right to move the runner. A baseball move, hit it hard and not only got the hit moved to second on the play to the plate. What a bum.
4. McCutchen is already great. Was very disappointed with him on the ball in the top of the 9th. Being the potential goat sure brought out the champion in him.
5.Enjoyable game to watch--- nice for our young kids.

1) Absolutely...excellent trade already, only to get better.

2) I don't think Capps is healthy. But weather he is or isn't, it's time to look at someone else. How bout Chavez?

3) I still think it is too early to give up on Moss. One of the things I really dislike about them bringing Milledge up, is that there really isn't enough playing time to properly evaluate Moss, Milledge, and Pearce.

4) Everybody makes mistakes now and then. The great players do things to overcome the mistakes.

5) Nice win. I like the way this team sticks together. I was trying to see what kind of reaction was made by Ohlendorf. They blew the game for him, but got a win for the team. I liked the excitement from some guys who didn't even play like Cedeno and Jackson...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
It WAS nice to see Moss get a big hit. He has sucked AND had some bad luck. I would put Jesse Chavez in the closer's roll. No brainer. Heck, he can't do worse.

I like Chavez too. Let's find out now for the future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:31 pm 

While the Pirates are looking for opportunities to assess Milledge, Moss and Pearce...maybe they should consider...just once in a great while...giving Jones the night off. The next game Jones misses will be the first one since he left Indianapolis.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 pm 

Sub -
Don't be disappointed in McCutchen. A laser beam hit directly at a CFer is, by far, the toughest play for a CFer. I've seen the same thing happen to the best defensive CFers of our time (Edmonds, Griffey, Jones). Just a tough break.
No. 9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:37 pm 

BTW, the Phillies TV crew was awfully damn smug in the top of the 9th. Flipped over to the Bucs' TV crew for the bottom half. A little part of me wishes that I would've heard the Phillies' crew's reaction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next