Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Observations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:41 pm 

(1) Trying to be positive . . . Snell and Gorzo struggled terribly this year, but both did a decent job against Arizona. Snell was throwing hard and getting a lot of swings-and-miss. Gorzellany pitched pretty well after the wretched first inning.

(2) Regarding summer trades - the last player that the Pirates were going to put on the market who was as good as Nady or Bay was probably Brian Giles. Nady and Bay are both power hitters, run producers, more than acceptable batting average, with proven XBH capability. Nady has a RF'er arm. Bay has a high OBP and runs pretty well. This is not a repeat of trying to turn mediocrity like Kris Benson into high level prospects.

(3) Pirates need to get pitching in return for trading one of their top players. Lincoln is the only real prospect currently in the organization. If the Buccos sign Scheppers, and he is healthy, and if they get some premium pitching prospect in return for trading an OF'er, then they will have re-stocked the pitching.

Post subject: Re: Observations
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:30 am 

The Pirates record is 21-14 thus far when the starting pitchers have pitched 6 innings or more.

Sounds like a big MEMO that should be hung up in each of the lockers of Snell, Gorzelanny, Maholm, Duke, and Dumatrait as a constant reminder. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:45 am 

Couldn't agree more. While both pitchers are still way off their proven potential, they have shown real improvement in their last start. We can only hope that they are working out of the mess they got themselves into this year.
Could make us a much better team this year.

Why have the position players been doing so much better as a group? Is it coaching, the newer players on the team this year? More players having grown and matured?
While some like Freddy and Adam are not having banner years, both look at times like they're about to explode out of the doldrums.

I am not an especially strong Wilson fan, but he has been a solidifying force for our infield. I think mentally he helps others pick up their game. It appears to me at least that his hitting is sliding to his normal 250/275 average. I guess that I need to accept him for what he is, not expecting too much production at the plate.

In terms of a trade, we certainly have two quality corner outfielders to market to any contender. Worries me that Nady is again somewhat injured, but he is quite a player when he's out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:05 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
(1) Trying to be positive . . . Snell and Gorzo struggled terribly this year, but both did a decent job against Arizona. Snell was throwing hard and getting a lot of swings-and-miss. Gorzellany pitched pretty well after the wretched first inning.

(2) Regarding summer trades - the last player that the Pirates were going to put on the market who was as good as Nady or Bay was probably Brian Giles. Nady and Bay are both power hitters, run producers, more than acceptable batting average, with proven XBH capability. Nady has a RF'er arm. Bay has a high OBP and runs pretty well. This is not a repeat of trying to turn mediocrity like Kris Benson into high level prospects.

(3) Pirates need to get pitching in return for trading one of their top players. Lincoln is the only real prospect currently in the organization. If the Buccos sign Scheppers, and he is healthy, and if they get some premium pitching prospect in return for trading an OF'er, then they will have re-stocked the pitching.

Bucfan, you did it again. I can't believe you posted things you observed about baseball. You know that you're only allowed to post stats on this board.

I don't care if you're been watching baseball your whole life, what you observe means NOTHING if you're not a professional scout.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:39 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Bucfan, you did it again. I can't believe you posted things you observed about baseball. You know that you're only allowed to post stats on this board.

I don't care if you're been watching baseball your whole life, what you observe means NOTHING if you're not a professional scout.

Yeah, but the numbers would back Bucfan up on this one, Elmer

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 pm 

Elmer wrote:
[

Stop exaggerating Elmer...you don't have to be a scout...you just have to stay at a Holiday Inn Express.