Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What a shame
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:43 pm 

It's been a decade since the Pirates had a 15-game winner — Todd Ritchie in 1999 — and the most recent 20-game winner was John Smiley in 1991.--------------------------------------------------- Trib today.

Post subject: Re: What a shame
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:56 pm 

Quote:
What a shame

Sounds like the new Pirate slogan for 2010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:05 pm 

Not to take anything away from Ritchie, who by all accounts had a fine year, but out of curiosity I checked and discovered that in 11 of those wins, the Pirates scored five runs or more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 pm 

Olendorf hasn't even been our best pitcher this year....the encouraging thing to me is that we have four or five guys who I could see winning 15 games in a given year. So yeah it's a shame, but it's also a sign of things to come.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Given the state of this team the last 2 decades, we're lucky to have had a 1B man who was involved in 15 wins in any one season... :)

I'm jazzed about our current rotation though, and I have a great feeling about things to come.

Maybe... should I say it???? Two 15 game winners next year?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:37 pm 

Funny- I was going to start a thread today about Ohlie and what you all think his ceiling is as a starter. He looks like a solid #3 or even a #2 starter in the making, and I think 15 wins are a real possibility for him next year, and , with a little good fortune, this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:54 pm 

Ohlendorf would need to win almost all his starts left if we move to a 6 man rotation in order for him to get 15 wins, but it could happen. I don't think he has the potential to be a top 2 guy, but probably a solid 3 guy. His two main problems are that he seems to tire late in games and he doesn't have great secondary pitch to keep guys off his heater at times.

I think if he continues to improve his changeup, it could be a plus pitch for him and he could get MANY swing and misses. He may not improve much from here, but he is already a guy who has a great mental approach to pitching. He seems very effective at changing his approach to go against whatever scouting reports the opposition has made of him (switching from 4 seamers to 2 seamers and keeping with them for almost entire games at a time). If he can mix up his 2 and 4 seam fastballs more effectively, he also may be able to get more groundouts in needed situations, which is something that he probably already knows. His tiring problem may just fix itself if he continues to pitch deep into games because he will get used to a full season as a starter in the bigs (32 starts hopefully). He could use some more conditioning in the offseason maybe to help him get a jump on next year as well. We don't know if he really trained to be a starter in the offseasson since he wasn't guaranteed a spot at the beginning of the year.